Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2013, 11:06 AM

226 posts, read 339,628 times

Advertisements

So, I am finally taking the fiance to visit the area the 2nd week of April. Our plan is to move to the area within two years. We want to visit the different neighborhoods to get a feel what will be best for us. So far, after much research I'm pretty set on S. Harbor/Oldsmar or even Palm Harbor.
I would also consider Westchase/Citrus Park area as well because of proximity to the airport but it IS farther from beaches also.

When we stay there, I don't want to stay at some fancy beachfront hotel. We are going to see ALL the wonderful beaches we would visit with public access, as well as neighborhoods, restaurants, nightlife, town, commute times, community, etc. Our plan is to go at least twice a year, for two years and experience all the different seasons. So we are starting with April

That said, here is where I would LOVE some tips and help. Keep in mind we are in our mid 30's, we have young teens (I have two sons, he one daughter-only my sons would move with us). This first trip will be just him and I though.
We absolutely LOVE anything water, relaxing at beach, fishing, strolling, sightseeing, sea shell collecting, nature, camping, boating. What would be the top 3-4 beaches you would recommend visiting if you were only here 3-4 days?

I'm thinking Honeymoon for sure, which others around that area of further down/up?

Restaurants? We love trying fresh seafood, a great burger or steak, we aren't too picky and are going on a budget, would love to find some awesome places-hopefully some right on the beach w/open patio or on the bay/body of water, with patios of course-and good drinks Coming from Atlanta I'm sick of pavement lol.

We also love listening to local alternative/rock bands or cover bands-any restaurants/pub/bars that are open patio (or just inside) that you would recommend in those areas?

Obviously the preferred areas we would love to see these things in would be close to Safety Harbor/Oldsmar, or even P. Harbor-we could also go and visit Ozona and Dunedin for recreation as those would be relatively a short drive I would assume.

Is it also worth it to visit St. Pete downtown area while there, at least stroll around once or leave for a 2nd trip?
What about parks/trails? How about Phillipe, Pinellas trails? Which are the nicer ones to visit, with access to water, kayak, bike trails or opens to beach areas also?

What about downtown Tampa, or Ybor city for nightlife-what about nightlife in those neighborhoods? Trying to pack a punch this trip.

We want a variety of things. Idea is to get to know as MUCH as we can of the area-but also want to narrow to visit perhaps 3-4 sites a day.

ALSO-any suggestions on a low key, nice place to stay around there would be great. I know La Quinta Inn has airline employee discounts, but the locations are either Clearwater airport area, St Petersbug, Pinellas Park. But we want safe, good atmosphere. Anyway every try MarBay in S. Harbor? We prefer something intimate, with a kitchen or kitchenette and a laid back atmosphere.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 04:59 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,799,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overit2 View Post

That said, here is where I would LOVE some tips and help. Keep in mind we are in our mid 30's, we have young teens (I have two sons, he one daughter-only my sons would move with us). This first trip will be just him and I though.
We absolutely LOVE anything water, relaxing at beach, fishing, strolling, sightseeing, sea shell collecting, nature, camping, boating. What would be the top 3-4 beaches you would recommend visiting if you were only here 3-4 days?

I'm thinking Honeymoon for sure, which others around that area of further down/up?
My suggestions are: Honeymoon Island, Caladesi Island, Sand Key, and possibly Clearwater Beach

Quote:
Restaurants? We love trying fresh seafood, a great burger or steak, we aren't too picky and are going on a budget, would love to find some awesome places-hopefully some right on the beach w/open patio or on the bay/body of water, with patios of course-and good drinks Coming from Atlanta I'm sick of pavement lol.
If you are down on Clearwater Beach, definitely try Frenchy's. Their grouper sandwich is the BEST, and it's right on the water. In Safety Harbor, go to Whistle Stop. That's where we locals hang out on a Saturday night. The food is great. There is live music (the type depends on the night), and a lot of fun! For a romantic dinner out, do the Columbia on Sand Key. It's also on the water. The Hangar in St. Pete at the airport is also a great little spot. We love to go and look out at the water, have a burger, and watch the private planes take off and land.

Quote:
We also love listening to local alternative/rock bands or cover bands-any restaurants/pub/bars that are open patio (or just inside) that you would recommend in those areas?
Go to downtown Safety Harbor and downtown Dunedin on a weekend night. There is always some kind of music playing there, and both areas play host to lots of little pubs. You won't find a big nightclub scene there, though (for which I am thankful).

Quote:
What about parks/trails? How about Phillipe, Pinellas trails? Which are the nicer ones to visit, with access to water, kayak, bike trails or opens to beach areas also?
Phillippe is the nicest park in the areas you mentioned, so definitely pack a picnic and go there one day. You can rent bikes near the Safety Harbor Spa and go for a ride down Safety Harbor's waterfront all the way to the park. It's really lovely.

Quote:
What about downtown Tampa, or Ybor city for nightlife-what about nightlife in those neighborhoods? Trying to pack a punch this trip.
Ybor gets a little "weird" at night. But depending on what you are into, that may be a good thing. South Tampa has good nightlife. Channelside in Downtown Tampa used to, but I don't know what it's like currently.

Quote:
ALSO-any suggestions on a low key, nice place to stay around there would be great. I know La Quinta Inn has airline employee discounts, but the locations are either Clearwater airport area, St Petersbug, Pinellas Park. But we want safe, good atmosphere. Anyway every try MarBay in S. Harbor? We prefer something intimate, with a kitchen or kitchenette and a laid back atmosphere.
What about a Bed and Breakfast in Safety Harbor? There are one or two downtown that I've seen. Sometimes the Safety Harbor Resort and Spa has good deals. Don't let the "resort" title scare you off. It's really quite quaint and extremely historic. We've stayed there before for under $100 per night and had a great experience.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:03 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,799,846 times
Also, MarBay, which you mentioned, may be an option. It's very quaint and is literally right down the street from Phillippe Park. It doesn't look like much from the road, but it is far from being a dive or dump. It's just not a big chain-type of place.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:12 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,299,617 times
Yes to all the above...but make some time and go to Sarasota as well so you have something more "Florida Like" to compare with all that. In Sarasota visit Lido Beach, Siesta Key, and Ana Maria Island too as you come back towards St Pete on 275....
I would stay next to Tampa's airport somewhere...that way you are closer to I-4/I-75, 275 and the bridges to go all over Pinellas, and also be close to South Tampa, Ybor to see what they look like/traffic etc.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:19 AM

226 posts, read 339,628 times
Wow, thanks all! Floridagirl, if I ever get there as is my dream I'm looking you up girl lol.

Btw, how are you liking the remodeled house and your neighborhood?? I Know you were thrilled as they were getting finished after the water break.

Thanks for the tips, I will definately look into other B&B's and the resort as well. Good to know that S. Tampa is better option for nightlife the Ybor. I certainly and writing down all the suggestions you gave.

What about Ft. de Soto? It has RAVE reviews, I know it's much further but if we're choosing one beach a day I wonder if it's worth it? What about Pass-A-Grille?

Like you I rather no clubs in the neighborhood but we certainly enjoy some live music and pubs and good food, hopefully meet some wonderful neighbors and friends as we're moving down there only knowing ONE person, a good friend of my brother. That doesn't scare us, we love meeting new people though.

I dread a bit how hard it will be on my sons, leaving your hometown right at highschool start isn't easy...they just NEED a better environment then what this city provides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay