U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 03-01-2013, 07:26 PM
 
Location: Palm Coast, Florida
215 posts, read 554,682 times
Reputation: 88
Smile Spring Hill FL, Can anyone recommend good workmen?

I need to clean up a rental house for new tenants. Does anyone know of a good AND honest, drywaller, plumber, carpet cleaner, maid service, outside junk hauler and grass cuttinbg service??? I picked my own a few times out of the phone book and got taken more than I care to admit. Unfortunately, I'm not local to the house, so I guess they think they can cut corners and still charge premium prices. Any help from experience would be grately appreicated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-01-2013, 07:58 PM
Status: "Living the dream" (set 13 days ago)
 
Location: Spring Hill, Florida
1,334 posts, read 942,321 times
Reputation: 1175
Your best bet would be to join Angie's List.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2013, 08:55 PM
Status: "If You Have Your Health, Be Happy. Don't Complain!" (set 5 days ago)
 
Location: Behind My SIRI Transcriber. Excellent for the Disabled!
4,068 posts, read 1,766,570 times
Reputation: 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue717 View Post
I need to clean up a rental house for new tenants. Does anyone know of a good AND honest, drywaller, plumber, carpet cleaner, maid service, outside junk hauler and grass cuttinbg service??? I picked my own a few times out of the phone book and got taken more than I care to admit. Unfortunately, I'm not local to the house, so I guess they think they can cut corners and still charge premium prices. Any help from experience would be grately appreicated.
I can easily give you a referral for a GREAT plumber. He is a member of this very forum. ESPLUMBING

Another example of how great the people of Tampa Bay are!

http://www.esplumbingservices.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2013, 04:58 AM
 
6,441 posts, read 1,863,579 times
Reputation: 13417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue717 View Post
I need to clean up a rental house for new tenants. Does anyone know of a good AND honest, drywaller, plumber, carpet cleaner, maid service, outside junk hauler and grass cuttinbg service??? I picked my own a few times out of the phone book and got taken more than I care to admit. Unfortunately, I'm not local to the house, so I guess they think they can cut corners and still charge premium prices. Any help from experience would be grately appreicated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
Your best bet would be to join Angie's List.
I agree that Angie's List is the best place to look. I joined a couple of months ago looking for car repair. The shop I chose charged half the cost the dealership wanted. As for home repair/renovation, I saw something in a flyer recently that concerns me. A banner with bold print "Warning if you hire" caught my attention. It's from the Pinellas County Construction Board. It says that anyone hired for work in the home whether friend, neighbor or relative must be licensed. The county requires testing, $300,000 insurance and hiring a non-licensed person subjects the homeowner to fines up to $5,000.

So I browsed and first thing I saw was this: Tampa-area Contractors face Licensing 'labyrinth' | Angies List. A link from this article provides this: How Angie's List verifies trade licenses | Angies List. Here's a county list of all things requiring licensed contractors and a note that "you may be prosecuted in court for aiding and abetting an unlicensed contractor." Pinellas County, Florida, Consumer Protection - Contracting.

With more browsing I found that the county takes a look at people on Angie's List to make sure they are legit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2013, 05:36 AM
 
2,005 posts, read 1,742,053 times
Reputation: 1328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Kitty View Post
I agree that Angie's List is the best place to look. I joined a couple of months ago looking for car repair. The shop I chose charged half the cost the dealership wanted. As for home repair/renovation, I saw something in a flyer recently that concerns me. A banner with bold print "Warning if you hire" caught my attention. It's from the Pinellas County Construction Board. It says that anyone hired for work in the home whether friend, neighbor or relative must be licensed. The county requires testing, $300,000 insurance and hiring a non-licensed person subjects the homeowner to fines up to $5,000.

So I browsed and first thing I saw was this: Tampa-area Contractors face Licensing 'labyrinth' | Angies List. A link from this article provides this: How Angie's List verifies trade licenses | Angies List. Here's a county list of all things requiring licensed contractors and a note that "you may be prosecuted in court for aiding and abetting an unlicensed contractor." Pinellas County, Florida, Consumer Protection - Contracting.

With more browsing I found that the county takes a look at people on Angie's List to make sure they are legit.
I understand your point but this licensing crap is getting ridiculous. If one does a major work (major plumbing or wall, etc), I do think that is needed but for God's sake the OP is looking for maid service, carpet cleaner, outside junk hauler and so on. The drywall job that the OP referring is probably some scratches or dents on the wall by the previous renters. A reputable handyman would do all that.

I think people are getting a false sense security and paying big money with all this licensing crap.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2013, 06:43 AM
 
6,441 posts, read 1,863,579 times
Reputation: 13417
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
I understand your point but this licensing crap is getting ridiculous. If one does a major work (major plumbing or wall, etc), I do think that is needed but for God's sake the OP is looking for maid service, carpet cleaner, outside junk hauler and so on. The drywall job that the OP referring is probably some scratches or dents on the wall by the previous renters. A reputable handyman would do all that.

I think people are getting a false sense security and paying big money with all this licensing crap.....
The OP's list has only two things that would concern the county and those are drywall and plumbing. I didn't have a point except to mention that it's apparently a fairly new tenacious pursuit by the county. I'm new to Pinellas County and I've had all my floors redone by handymen. I didn't know about county requirements at the time. I agree a reputable handyman can do a lot of work in the home and that's what I was looking for. But since I saw that flyer it's giving me the heebie jeebies about having more work done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2013, 10:47 PM
 
Location: Palm Coast, Florida
215 posts, read 554,682 times
Reputation: 88
Please no fighting..... I have joined Angies list and I thank you for your help. Just for your information..the plumbing job is water leaked behind the wall, so need the plumbing fixed and the drywall replaced. Shoddy work from the builder, which is one of the reasons I want someone reputable! Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top