Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 11:57 AM

4,972 posts, read 7,162,168 times

Advertisements

Good news, I suppose. If this turns into another bubble and crash, I hope there's no bailouts. There hasn't been law one passed to discourage another crash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 02:08 PM

149 posts, read 258,112 times
Here on the beaches, central Pinellas, homes sales prices have risen dramatically over the past six months also.

Old 03-24-2013, 02:30 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,176,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl777 View Post
This is definitely true in my neck of the woods (northern Pinellas) as well.

A realtor friend of mine believes last year was the last time to get some seriously good deals on houses in desireable areas. This year she said the market is climbing and becoming more expensive in those areas. She said what she is noticing is a rush … many are putting their homes on the market to sell at this time while the values are climbing, and many people are buying them up quickly. She said she thinks we are soon going to see another "bubble" scenario happen.

Not sure if this is true, but I definitely have seen several homes in Safety Harbor sell quickly and for larger prices than last year. I'm SO GLAD we bought there last year because we would have never been able to afford Safety Harbor now. We ended up in a lovely 3 bedroom, 3 bath, pool home with a little over 2,100 square feet in a great neighborhood for 250K. Now houses like ours are going for the 300K and higher mark. It's crazy how quickly the market changed.
Safety Harbor is one of those places that always has low inventory and I believe you when you said a 250K house can easily be 300K now. From what I see in our neighborhood people who get in a year or so later after us were those who hit the right spot in terms of value. Even though I knew we got a good deal on the purchase (as the sellers were relocating plus my excellent realtor), the official appraisal for refinance just confirms what we knew all along. Plus the 8K free money we got from the government .

Last edited by Pragmaticus; 03-24-2013 at 03:04 PM..

Old 03-24-2013, 03:03 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,833,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
Safety Harbor is one of those places that always has low inventory and I believe you when you said a 250K house can easily be 300K now. From what I see in our neighborhood people who get in a year or so later after us were those who hit the right spot in terms of value. Even though I knew we got a good deal on the purchase (as the sellers were relocating plus my excellent realtor), the official appraisal for refinance just confirms what we knew all along. Plus the 8K free money we got from our fellow tax payers .
I fixed your post for you.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:11 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,176,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
I fixed your post for you.
I don't want to turn this to your favorite republican/libertarian discussion but people like me put their money on the line (some caught a falling knife) to stabilize the housing market that help the overall economy and reverse the depression that would have otherwise put most people out on the street including you.

Last edited by Sunscape; 03-25-2013 at 02:30 AM..

Old 03-24-2013, 04:02 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,833,620 times
[quote=MeInDenudinFL;28815366]I don't want to turn this to your favorite republican/libertarian discussion but people like me put their money on the line (some caught a falling knife) to stabilize the housing market that help the overall economy and reverse the depression that would have otherwise put most people out on the street including you.

Sensitive much?

Nice insults by the way.

I actually stated a "fact". The $8,000 was not "free" money from the "government". It was reallocated tax payer money. There is no debating that. I didn't make it political. YOU did. I just corrected what the money was. I didn't say if it was good or bad...or if I agreed with it or not. YOU seemed to make a BIG assumption and then went off on a political rant and hurling insults. Typical.

Now, regarding the real turnaround in the housing market and the article in the Tampa Bay Times......the free market is at work correcting the market and I love it. Investors are coming in buying up homes that otherwise were not being sold for years. Then they put in an average of 10% of the purchase price in fixing up the homes. The end result is that they transform many run down homes, thus transforming some neighborhoods, resulting in putting many tradesmen to work, resulting in these tradesmen then spending more money in our local economy. These are GREAT things. Also, removing the excess inventory (most of which were troubled homes) greatly helps in increasing property values, thus allowing existing home owners to now start putting their homes up for sale.

This free market solution is exactly what has been needed and will help bring everything back into balance.....for a while. In the short term, it creates a shortage of available homes, driving up pricing. Once the pricing gets to where more existing home owners feel they can now afford to sell, then the supply/demand will come closer to balance.....with the overall values being higher than they were during the horrible times of the last 5-6 years or so.

This is excellent news and it is happening....AS I POSTED IN EARLIER THREADS AND GOT TORN APART FOR.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/tampa...-bay-area.html

It's nice being right, even when negative nellies hate hearing it.

Last edited by Sunscape; 03-25-2013 at 05:37 AM..

Old 03-24-2013, 08:06 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,449,315 times
I love the comment - "... Fellow Taxpayers". So true but so sad that very few look at it this way.

What I like to see though is other people that are not in the Real Estate Business talking about increasing values. It shows that things really are changing and it doesn't sound like an Advertisement.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:28 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,302,917 times
There won't be another housing bubble in any of our lifetimes. It was only a matter of time before the values on houses began to increase. We can probably expect them to continue to increase modestly over the years. 'Flipping' houses for a profit is an industry in the graveyard.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:36 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,789,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
I am hoping prices and interest rates stay down for a little while longer. Need to get rid of my house, looking to move back to Pinellas.
I feel for you as we also have a home in Hernando County we'd love to get rid of. We made the move to Pinellas after renting our Spring Hill house out, but it would sure be nice to get rid of it completely. Unfortunately, very few people want to buy in Hernando County unless you are willing to practically give your house away.

Why are you looking to move back to Pinellas, by the way?

Old 03-25-2013, 04:35 AM

8,488 posts, read 20,553,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl777 View Post
I feel for you as we also have a home in Hernando County we'd love to get rid of. We made the move to Pinellas after renting our Spring Hill house out, but it would sure be nice to get rid of it completely. Unfortunately, very few people want to buy in Hernando County unless you are willing to practically give your house away.

Why are you looking to move back to Pinellas, by the way?
I don't see us having a problem getting rid of it in 9 months or so when we are ready, we may not be making any money but we will be able to walk away free and clear at least which is all I worry about.
The kids are all grown now and the youngest will be off to college next year, probably USF, Pinellas would put us within, not a central location but a good location to one kid in Pinellas, one in Hillsborough and one in Orlando. No need for the 5 bedroom house anymore.
My job is also moving offices in a few months and while they are still staying in Pasco it would be further than I want to drive, it is 1/2 hour now which is at the upper end of the commute time I want to have. The new commute would be about 45 minutes. The office in Hernando would still be 30 minutes commute but I don't get along with the supervisor from that office so I figured I could get a smaller place and this time look for a place to live within 5 minutes from work which I can find in Pinellas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay