Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 11:14 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,449,315 times

Advertisements

I have to laugh at this. California is bankrupting cities, so many elected Politicians from Illiniois are in Prison, Detroit has went bankrupt, etc... and someone thinks Florida is "So far behind and backward ... ".

07412 ... Nice Comment. Hope the kids dig in, catch up, and pass there peers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 06:12 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,149,875 times
Thanks Gulfer. Putting in lots of effort, got some extra help two times a week ---at the school/ after hours ----(provided by the public school here).

I'm sure they will catch up.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:26 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,579,907 times
Quote:
but I do miss the intelligence in MA - Florida often likes to wallow in its stupidity. There are some things I have come across here that just make me shake my head. This state is so far behind and backward compared to other states I have lived in. (But then again this is the southern USA) The history of corruption in state and local government here is very evident.
hahahahahahahah 80% of Florida is populated with NY-ers/Northerners....so I am guessing you must be talking about yourselves then!

If you don't like it change it! (But so long as "Northerner" rejects populate the state...I guess it might be harder to make that change!)
Michael Jackson - Man In The Mirror (Original Clip) - YouTube

Remember, it is not the natives of Florida who run from Snow! and neither those from Mexico and Cuba!

OP....I would REALLY evaluate your work situation well, because once unemployed here the unemployment is about $200 give or take a week...so if you want to live where the "good schools" are, you'd be forking over $2000 in rent...not something you would afford being on unemployment.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:06 AM

82 posts, read 206,536 times
Just a side note, the whole cost of living calculator is a load of crap. I recently moved here from Mass. as well. Things are comparable, period. if you think a direct transition in salary down to here will save you 30%, it's just not true. I thought groceries down here would be cheaper as well. They're not. Some things are ridiculously expensive. The biggest thing that is cheaper is housing, whether you rent or buy. But don't forget about other moving costs like $400-500 right off the top to get Florida plates for your car. I would highly recommend pushing for the same salary as what you have now.

Having said that, depending on the age of your child, they have some kind of program when they turn 4 that allows them free schooling for a few hours during the day. This is at the daycare providers facility if they offer it. My son will be doing this in the fall. I believe we only pay for before and after school instead of the entire day in Pre-K. So that does help.

My opinion, if you're making ends meet right now and living semi comfortably, save save save in Massachusetts. Only move down here if you have enough money to support yourself without any assistance for a minimum of 6 months. Take $5 a day and put it in a shoebox somewhere to help you start. I will never tell anyone to NOT move from massachusetts. I have lived all over the US and it was by far the worst state I have lived in. However, a move of any type takes a big toll on finances no matter how you slice it.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:14 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,579,907 times
That is called VPK, and you have to have proof of residence, apply, and your child has to be 4 before a certain date:
Home*-*VPK Help

Don't discount car insurance as it is VERY high here. Get a quote from your current insurance company to make the comparison. Plus registration, taxes etc.

Agreed 10000% with this.
Quote:
I would highly recommend pushing for the same salary as what you have now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tights24 View Post
Just a side note, the whole cost of living calculator is a load of crap. I recently moved here from Mass. as well. Things are comparable, period. if you think a direct transition in salary down to here will save you 30%, it's just not true. I thought groceries down here would be cheaper as well. They're not. Some things are ridiculously expensive. The biggest thing that is cheaper is housing, whether you rent or buy. But don't forget about other moving costs like $400-500 right off the top to get Florida plates for your car. I would highly recommend pushing for the same salary as what you have now.

Having said that, depending on the age of your child, they have some kind of program when they turn 4 that allows them free schooling for a few hours during the day. This is at the daycare providers facility if they offer it. My son will be doing this in the fall. I believe we only pay for before and after school instead of the entire day in Pre-K. So that does help.

My opinion, if you're making ends meet right now and living semi comfortably, save save save in Massachusetts. Only move down here if you have enough money to support yourself without any assistance for a minimum of 6 months. Take $5 a day and put it in a shoebox somewhere to help you start. I will never tell anyone to NOT move from massachusetts. I have lived all over the US and it was by far the worst state I have lived in. However, a move of any type takes a big toll on finances no matter how you slice it.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:23 AM

82 posts, read 206,536 times
Yup, that's it, thanks Photo. Oh yeah, almost forgot about car insurance. Unbelievable down here. My rate doubled and I have been accident free for over 20 years. If you're in your 20's, my guess is that's even more "high risk" in their mind. You might want to check without a doubt. Good luck.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:34 PM

490 posts, read 1,092,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garson View Post
There is also no state income tax here which should have an impact on the severity of your pay cut.

Having left MA a few years ago I would never go back in a million years but it is not the same for everyone. In my opinion the people in FL are nicer and less intense than MA but I do miss the intelligence in MA - Florida often likes to wallow in its stupidity. There are some things I have come across here that just make me shake my head. This state is so far behind and backward compared to other states I have lived in. (But then again this is the southern USA) The history of corruption in state and local government here is very evident.

The weather however is awesome!

It is good that you are doing your homework now so you can hopefully minimize any major surprises if you do indeed move.
Good luck to you.
California has a much more educated populace and intellectual atmosphere than Florida could ever dream of having while having much better weather at the same time.

Educated professionals from New England with school-aged children seem to fare much better in California than in Florida or anywhere else in the South, IMO. Republicans from New England most closely approximate Southern California/Arizona Republicans based on my observations -- not Bible Belt Republicans.

I would never educate children in FL because there's no competitive ethos in academia down here.

Take my advice for what it's worth: I'm from RI, and I have a master's degree.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:34 PM

1,818 posts, read 1,522,929 times
Wow I guess I really struck a nerve with my earlier comments! I did not mean to imply that everyone in Florida is stupid - but there does seem to be a higher than average percentage of people who are - I am sure most of you know yourselves to be the exceptions
Having spent time in about 40 of the states and several countries abroad sadly I still have to say that Florida is a bit backward and behind in many ways. At best it certainly is not a leader in any positive way. Infrastructure (especially freeways) is 20 or 30 years behind where it should be. The roads in general are horrendous. Education - I have two friends who were offered pretty good jobs here but turned them down after finding the schools here lacking. Just read all the posts on CD where people are warned about the low wages in Florida. Employers pay their workers less in Florida compared to other states because they can.
The fact that so many are blind to Florida being behind pretty much proves my point.

The native vs. northerners debate is dumb. I am not a northerner by birth (my parents brought me to the cold and snow kicking and screaming) and although I spent most of my school years there I have been gone for 18 years.

I still think it is a great place to live in many ways - I am just not blind to the shortcomings and anyone planning to move here should not be either.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:38 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,024,514 times
In making a decision on where to relocate, one must consider the short comings of where they are leaving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garson View Post
Wow I guess I really struck a nerve with my earlier comments! I did not mean to imply that everyone in Florida is stupid - but there does seem to be a higher than average percentage of people who are - I am sure most of you know yourselves to be the exceptions
Having spent time in about 40 of the states and several countries abroad sadly I still have to say that Florida is a bit backward and behind in many ways. At best it certainly is not a leader in any positive way. Infrastructure (especially freeways) is 20 or 30 years behind where it should be. The roads in general are horrendous. Education - I have two friends who were offered pretty good jobs here but turned them down after finding the schools here lacking. Just read all the posts on CD where people are warned about the low wages in Florida. Employers pay their workers less in Florida compared to other states because they can.
The fact that so many are blind to Florida being behind pretty much proves my point.

The native vs. northerners debate is dumb. I am not a northerner by birth (my parents brought me to the cold and snow kicking and screaming) and although I spent most of my school years there I have been gone for 18 years.

I still think it is a great place to live in many ways - I am just not blind to the shortcomings and anyone planning to move here should not be either.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:25 PM

6,583 posts, read 4,959,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatUpFLA View Post
California has a much more educated populace and intellectual atmosphere than Florida could ever dream of having while having much better weather at the same time.

Educated professionals from New England with school-aged children seem to fare much better in California than in Florida or anywhere else in the South, IMO. Republicans from New England most closely approximate Southern California/Arizona Republicans based on my observations -- not Bible Belt Republicans.

I would never educate children in FL because there's no competitive ethos in academia down here.

Take my advice for what it's worth: I'm from RI, and I have a master's degree.

Its not an apples to apples comparison. As much as Tampa is economically segregated it pales in comparison with California, and the urban Northeast. Much of Tampa's suburbs are affordable and you have a combination of lower income people along with professionals who want to be in a bigger house. There is no such thing in the northeast or California if you don't have education, you mostly don't have the income then you are very limited on the areas you can live. I live in S Tampa, all the parents of my kid's friends I met are educated. My wife and I both have masters and we are not the exception in our area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay