Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 06:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,733 times

Advertisements

I moved for the first time a few months ago to Tampa. I was doing fine until I went back to visit my family for the first time. Now I am an irrational basket case. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 06:56 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,246,132 times
Keep busy and meet new people!

Old 11-02-2007, 06:24 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,261,635 times
While it may be difficult, don't go home. My husband and I came here alone- we had no family or friends here. We made a pact to not go home for at least a year. We chose to move here but knew it would be hard leaving everyone. The first few months were hard, we really wanted to visit.. but it's been over a year and we haven't gone home- I have to say, I have no desire to go anymore.. Since, we've had family visit us, and we've made friends!

Old 11-02-2007, 06:47 AM

89 posts, read 345,433 times
I've been down here a month. When people see me in the neighborhood they'll say hi but only three families actually welcomed us and that was because I was out walking the dogs. I thought the neighborhood would be more welcoming then it has been. Otherwise I've been keeping busy. I would suggest you do the same thing. I found a hair salon I like and shopping places by driving around.

Good luck! It'll get better.

Old 11-02-2007, 07:28 AM

272 posts, read 1,531,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strength View Post
I moved for the first time a few months ago to Tampa. I was doing fine until I went back to visit my family for the first time. Now I am an irrational basket case. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Why did visiting your family make you an "irrational basket case"? What was it about the visit that upset you?

Old 11-02-2007, 08:34 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,246,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckardc View Post
Why did visiting your family make you an "irrational basket case"? What was it about the visit that upset you?

That is normal. Many people get very homesick after visiting home.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:24 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,086,371 times
Most people are just like you, new to the area and don't have the time to meet other people and settle in on a job. If you going to go home to visit, go there when the weather is great here and cold and dreary there and you'll be ready to come back here. My wife misses her family up north, so I send her up in the winter and after being there for a couple of days she's ready to come back to Florida. She says the weather is miserable and so are the people. Maybe it's because they live there. Hmmmm.

Old 11-03-2007, 05:40 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times
Maybe sit down and make a list of the good and bad of both areas. Take time and think of why you thought the move was a good thing in the first place. After we leave a place we sometimes forget the bad and remember only the good.

Old 11-04-2007, 04:13 AM

64 posts, read 233,526 times
There's a bit of gypsy in all of us. Think of your move as an adventure. You are a pioneer, exploring new territory. Just remember, there aren't to many places like "Mayberry" any more. In most cases, neighbors aren't going to be knocking on your door bringing pies and cakes and expecting an afternoon social. It's up to you to do the footwork.

Old 11-24-2007, 03:28 PM

9 posts, read 28,789 times
It sounds like you really haven't connected with your new home, yet. A good way to do that is by volunteering in some capacity. Just check your local paper for opportunities to help others (at this time of year the papers are full of them). Choose one that interests you and you will be amazed at the number of people you will meet (good people) and friends that you will make. Sometimes it is hard to be assertive and get "out there" but you will be so glad you did! Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay