Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 01:04 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,182,040 times

Advertisements

Having lived in both South Florida (when I was part of the "youth" culture there) and in Tampa Bay now, my general impression is that the youth of Tampa Bay is more hard-working. There's problem youth everywhere, but it seems that in Tampa Bay, the youth is more work and family focused, although they have a good time, too. Less showy, more substance.

I very much like the youth in Tampa Bay. For the most part, a very decent group. If you're older, learn to appreciate them and help them when you can. They have a very hard time of it and deserve our support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 08:59 PM

35,692 posts, read 21,049,622 times
I am not sure about that- as anything living outside the city limits is rural and there are no jobs. Just 5 miles out there and there is no transportation, no jobs no higher education etc. within reach. ONLY those with support financially etc... In Miami every kid I knew along with mine at 16 were flipping burgers or something- because the opportunities were there. The most I see here are the poor "elderly" working at the McD's BK-Walmart- HD- Lowes,, etc, -in S Fla it's the youth, every where you look. Here the college kids come, try to do a little PT and then they leave... I know about 100 kids out of Miami who have helped themselves to a higher education and grants etc, and made it...and not from well to do homes..

Old 06-24-2013, 03:29 PM

66 posts, read 323,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin from Tampa View Post
This might depend on what part of So Fla you're talking about, but I'll go with Miami.

The Miami scene is all about "being seen" and is vastly different than the Tampa Bay scene.

I'd compare Tampa Bay to Atlanta...I've even heard TB referred to as "Atlanta with a beach."

Miami is more like like LA in some ways, minus the celebs.
celebs can always be spotted in south beach clubs and restaurants

Old 06-24-2013, 04:30 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,013,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin from Tampa View Post
I'd compare Tampa Bay to Atlanta...I've even heard TB referred to as "Atlanta with a beach."
It's funny... I was just walking through Downtown Tampa today and thinking to myself, "Man, this looks a lot like Atlanta."

Really... Who did you hear say that? Slap them.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:51 PM

116 posts, read 226,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
It's funny... I was just walking through Downtown Tampa today and thinking to myself, "Man, this looks a lot like Atlanta."

Really... Who did you hear say that? Slap them.

I've lived in Atlanta for the last 13 years and plan to Move to Tampa in Dec.
If it is anything like Atl I'm not going near the place

Old 06-24-2013, 05:01 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,013,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT97 View Post
I've lived in Atlanta for the last 13 years and plan to Move to Tampa in Dec.
If it is anything like Atl I'm not going near the place
Our downtown is all of about five miles, we aren't the home of any Forbes 500 companies, our job situation is dire, we're not considered a world city, and the people who claim they live "in Tampa" typically live in the suburbs. I wouldn't say Tampa and Atlanta are similar at all. I'd love to spend a few years in Atlanta before I die.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:45 PM

116 posts, read 226,249 times
Quote:
Our downtown is all of about five miles, we aren't the home of any Forbes 500 companies, our job situation is dire, we're not considered a world city, and the people who claim they live "in Tampa" typically live in the suburbs. I wouldn't say Tampa and Atlanta are similar at all. I'd love to spend a few years in Atlanta before I die.
NO you wouldn't

Old 06-24-2013, 06:47 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,891,120 times
Quote:
I wouldn't say Tampa and Atlanta are similar at all. I'd love to spend a few years in Atlanta before I die.
Tampa and Atlanta are absolutely NOTHING alike, in any way, other than that they have grass, people, buildings, cars, and trees.. LoL.

Atlanta has its issues, but it's a beautiful city!

Old 06-24-2013, 08:04 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,448,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post

Miami VS Tampa .. where will I spend My Bday? - Miami-- and it will be my 60th...

Those pictures are precisely why I'm excited about Tampa and would never consider Miami. To each their own

Old 06-24-2013, 08:29 PM

84 posts, read 167,659 times
Miami is all about being seen: what you wear, how in shape you are, what kind of car you drive. South Florida is VERY flashy. I have never seen so many luxury cars in my life. I moved out of the state and was always surprised when people made a big deal about a Porsche driving by. Spoiled from my days of seeing at least twenty a day. I never had one though, obviously lol.

Tampa seems way more laid back to me. Things are so much quieter here. I think it still has that "Florida" feel, but in a much more relaxed atmosphere. Sure, there are people that party here, but I don't feel quite as bombarded by crazy, wild types here as I did when I lived in south FL. There are SO MANY crazy people there haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay