Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 06:20 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,579,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
Geez. I don't know anything about rent here, but that is more than my mortgage on and 4 bed, 3 bath >2500 sq ft pool home in an exclusive neighborhood. Holy crap.
Actually $1500 is cheap. In parts of Lutz and LOL, Odessa etc rents are up to $3000/mo. $1900 for a very small 3 bedroom, without a tub in the master. Ridiculous. I get the "demand" thing, but the reason there is this "demand" is because people are unaware of the areas so they rent, or not aware it would be cheaper for them to buy. People got scared by the "you won't be able to sell" statement, and are stuck inflating rents. Technically "rent" should never be more expensive than mortgage...if it was then why rent? and loose more than $20k per year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 06:57 AM

35,357 posts, read 20,722,137 times
you pay for more than what you get and the normal rate of "pay" is not equal to the high rent... You are OK for location and size, but many apts etc are charging horrible rates and getting tiny apts in aful conditions... again I will say code enforcement is slack here. the closer to town the worse it gets

Old 04-22-2013, 06:59 AM

35,357 posts, read 20,722,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Actually $1500 is cheap. In parts of Lutz and LOL, Odessa etc rents are up to $3000/mo. $1900 for a very small 3 bedroom, without a tub in the master. Ridiculous. I get the "demand" thing, but the reason there is this "demand" is because people are unaware of the areas so they rent, or not aware it would be cheaper for them to buy. People got scared by the "you won't be able to sell" statement, and are stuck inflating rents. Technically "rent" should never be more expensive than mortgage...if it was then why rent? and loose more than $20k per year?
the way life is now you must be very well off, with perfect credit and good down before you can buy a shack

Old 04-22-2013, 07:00 AM

66 posts, read 97,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
Geez. I don't know anything about rent here, but that is more than my mortgage on and 4 bed, 3 bath >2500 sq ft pool home in an exclusive neighborhood. Holy crap.
Doubt you live anywhere near Westchase though. Just because you have a non-functional gate at the entrance of your neighborhood doesnt make it "exclusive"

OP rent is a very good price and you get a garage. Not to mention you do not have to pay HOA, CDD, Taxes or when the A/C breaks or roof leaks etc...

We could make this into a renters vs buyers thread but it has been beaten to death.

Conclusion: OP rent is very reasonable for Westchase.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:58 AM

6,583 posts, read 4,959,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Some investors buy so they can rent the property, if rent wasn't more than mortgage they would operate at a loss. I had no intention of buying but after paying 3k+ for a year and really not being able to find anything that wasn't a 4/4 who needs 4 bathrooms, my mortgage now is less but with the house maintenance I don't really see a difference, although April 15 has been a lot more palatable.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:27 AM

134 posts, read 327,938 times
I spent 4 months looking at rental properties in Wesley Chapel and found for that price I could get a huge house in almost any neighborhood I wanted. I ended up finding a great deal on a 3/2 in Seven Oaks for $1250. Really nice house, tad smaller on sq footage than I wanted but excellent neighborhood. I know Westchase is in/near the heart of Tampa though.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
Some investors buy so they can rent the property, if rent wasn't more than mortgage they would operate at a loss. I had no intention of buying but after paying 3k+ for a year and really not being able to find anything that wasn't a 4/4 who needs 4 bathrooms, my mortgage now is less but with the house maintenance I don't really see a difference, although April 15 has been a lot more palatable.
"Profit" should be based on the area and amenities. It is ridiculous to rent something for over $1500 in an area that doesn't offer amenities. That's a rip off. Investors should check the areas before extorting renters. (But I guess some people running away from snow don't care if they're extorted or not).

If you have a family of 5, or 6 you NEED 4 bathrooms. Trust me. LOLOLOL (Its is amazing how many families are in those numbers too; we have a neighbor with triplets! ouch!).

Old 04-22-2013, 08:41 AM

34 posts, read 51,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Success3 View Post
First, let me say hello to all.

Situation is me and my wife we are going to be moving soon for job and it was a rush. We ended up finding a 2bed/2bath/garage townhome (1700sq ft) in westchase for $1500. It has community Pool and fitness center as well. I was curious what your opinions are. Could we have found something cheaper and nice as well?

Thanks in advance.
No townhouse should be that expensive in Hillsborough County. What is it? Overlooking the bay/river?

If not, you're gettting hosed.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:43 AM

34 posts, read 51,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoCal19 View Post
I spent 4 months looking at rental properties in Wesley Chapel and found for that price I could get a huge house in almost any neighborhood I wanted. I ended up finding a great deal on a 3/2 in Seven Oaks for $1250. Really nice house, tad smaller on sq footage than I wanted but excellent neighborhood. I know Westchase is in/near the heart of Tampa though.
Exactly, and it's not like Westchase is leaps and bounds nicer than Wesley Chapel.

Dear god, please stop paying $1500 in monthly rent for a flippin townhome!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-22-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa No Look View Post
Exactly, and it's not like Westchase is leaps and bounds nicer than Wesley Chapel.

Dear god, please stop paying $1500 in monthly rent for a flippin townhome!!!!!!!!!!
Its called: Location. Such Townhome in Wesley Chapel should cost $800/mo considering that they're in the middle of nowhere, and have to offset gas costs to get anywhere from up there. This Townhome is centrally located, and has all sort of shopping and dining around, airport access, and several malls within a few miles range etc. That price is more than fair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay