Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 09:46 AM

85 posts, read 247,606 times

Advertisements

Hello there,

My family and I are moving from the northeast down to the Tampa area next year. Our main concern is schools, and what is the best school district.

Basically, we've pinpointed Wesley Chapel, Trinity, or Lake O Lakes area. Are there areas in these towns that I should steer clear of? Like any area, do any of these towns have areas of "reputations"? My oldest is 3 years old, so he will be starting school fairly soon - and of course we want the best for him, and are willing to move to the best district out of these three for him. As for home itself, we are looking to spend at the most $250k, but will pinpoint our search based on the better school district.

I realize most areas have pros and cons - but I am basically looking for an area with the least amount of cons lol. I originally was looking at Plant City, but thanks to many many members private messaging me, that area is now out; so not it seems it's between Wesley Chapel, Trinity, or Land O Lakes. By all means, if there is another town in close proximity to these areas with an even better school district, please let me know.

Any help I can get would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 06:11 PM

27,204 posts, read 46,522,862 times
There are even communities with new build homes with full warranty that you may want to consider with walking distance to an elementary school.

You are mentioning areas that you can research online by checking www.pascosheriff.com and go to the neighborhood section and you can check the community or even the street you are interested in and see all 911 calls. Keep in mind that 1 rotten apple in a street can move and that can make a hige difference, but it can also happen the other way around.

I always advise people to check out the street/community at different hours of the day/weekend because you may have a different criteria than I have or someone else has, so it is difficult to go by what other people will say since unless you know their background and if that is similar than yours.

We are most likely going to list a short sale property in Land O'Lakes with approx. 2650 sqft for approx. $ 215K, 3 car garage, 4 bedroom and loft/bonus room and there are more homes on that price range on the market but the market is changing and offers are coming in faster, even multiple offers so don't hesitate if you find an area you like and see something you want to consider.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:35 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,447,813 times
Some of the Master Planned Communities have Elementary Schools right in the housing area. Connerton and Concord Station, both in Land O Lakes are that way. Both of these communities have a CDD to go along with an HOA. Researching the numbers will always help.

Subdivisions around the rest of Land O Lakes and Wesley Chapel, and there are a lot of them, may or may not have a CDD. Most, but not all have an HOA, but quite a few of them are minimal (50 or less per month).

With your price you can get new in many of the areas as well. Watch for builders price cuts for available homes or quick move ins that haven't went under contract. I see flyers weekly on price cuts and many, many homes are for less than what your price range is.

Trinity is a nice area but it is slowly starting to build up. Still a lot of green fields and vacant land around there. You get closer to Western Pasco County with Trinity, so please read up or look at where sinkholes have been reported. Also reading up on here what others think of New Port Richey will give you an idea of the city to the West of there. I go golfing all over that area and like the look and feel, but I am not over by HWY 19 at all hours of the day, so will leave those comments for others.

You will get a very nice home for your money in any of these areas.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:41 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,629,946 times
If you are not coming for another year Wesley Chapel when a home goes on sale it is sold in 2 weeks,
Then an investor buy and it sell within 2 weeks once more

Old 04-24-2013, 11:27 AM

1 posts, read 3,257 times
I live in Tarpon Springs, which is along the water south of Land of lakes. We moved from Chicago Suburbs in IL,which had top rated school about year and a half ago. When we moved we were told to stay in Pinellas County, which ends to the North at Tarpon Springs. The schools in FL overall are not nearly as good as up North. Make sure you check out exactly what programs and school your kids will be attending and start early, as the magnet schools, which are much better have to be applied to the spring before the year the kids will attend. There are also other similar programs in private settings but are public, which are available. Do your homework when it comes to school districts and programs. Land of Lakes seems to have fairly good schools, we have lots of friends in that area-just check it out, as the standards in FL are way lower than the east and midwestern public schools.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:33 AM

85 posts, read 247,606 times
Thank you for the responses thus far. Much appreciated.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:50 AM

143 posts, read 240,296 times
nyguy4u, I just moved into Concord Station (Land O Lakes). There is an HOA and CDD but the fees are minimal. My daughter has been going to school here since november. She is in an Imagine school. As I understand it, it is run like a private school but publicly funded. There is a waiting list to get in - we just got lucky that an opening came up part way through the school year and it was about the time we were prepping to move up to this area. Where the school is, is a nice little area. The Imagine school, middle school and high school are all close together. AFAIK the public elementary is not too far away but not in this little cluster. There is also a good before/after school daycare here that looks after getting the kids on the right buses to the schools.

If you need any more info, let me know

Old 04-26-2013, 06:19 AM

27,204 posts, read 46,522,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerfritz View Post
I live in Tarpon Springs, which is along the water south of Land of lakes. We moved from Chicago Suburbs in IL,which had top rated school about year and a half ago. When we moved we were told to stay in Pinellas County, which ends to the North at Tarpon Springs. The schools in FL overall are not nearly as good as up North. Make sure you check out exactly what programs and school your kids will be attending and start early, as the magnet schools, which are much better have to be applied to the spring before the year the kids will attend. There are also other similar programs in private settings but are public, which are available. Do your homework when it comes to school districts and programs. Land of Lakes seems to have fairly good schools, we have lots of friends in that area-just check it out, as the standards in FL are way lower than the east and midwestern public schools.
You are stating the schools are not as good as up North which may be true or not but I'm from Europe (Western) and the school system is very highly rated compared to the US when you read or listen to the news and our daughter already skipped a grade in school in Europe due to her good grades and maturity.

Overhere she skipped more grades and graduated high school at the age of 15.

Our son will graduate over here at the age of 17 and anytime we go back to Europe or have students from europe coming over here and looking into his school books they are suprised about the level and it just "different".

In Europe at the age of 13-14 you drop a lot of courses and most students drop Math and later have eliminated a lot of jobs due to that.

Our conclusion is that it is hard to compare since the system is different and compared to up North it mostly comes down to what courses the student will take. If you take all regular course it is different then taking AP, dual enrollment and/or honor courses.

Therefore I never understand that a lot of people always try to minimize the level that is provided in Florida and make it look like Florida schools are bad.

If it was so bad as many want it to make out then I don't understand that parents move to Florida and with held their kids from the "best schools"....

Old 04-26-2013, 12:11 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,761,416 times
Do we need to spam all threats with "good schools" topic not related to particular threads?

Old 04-26-2013, 12:54 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,447,813 times
Interesting. I thought this thread from the Original Poster was specifically about schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay