Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 04:08 PM

1,139 posts, read 3,467,087 times

Advertisements

Link: Tampa man sentenced to 26 years in prison for foreclosure fraud | Tampa Bay Times

I have no sympathy for this man who committed fraud but 26 years..c'mon

How many people have committed financial fraud from our own Gov. Rick Scott are scott-free?

Quote:
Scott resigned as Chief Executive of Columbia/HCA in 1997 amid a controversy over the company's business and Medicare billing practices; the company ultimately admitted to fourteen felonies and agreed to pay the federal government over $600 million; Scott was not implicated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 05:36 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
What a loser...I'm glad he is not longer licensed and he will have enough time to think about his short term winnings!

Old 04-26-2013, 06:22 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,463,477 times
Good! Jail! But I have to agree with Tampaite, 26 years? People are getting less time for more severe crimes.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:01 PM

66 posts, read 115,848 times
Professional scam artists should get maximum time in jail/prison. All they care about is themselves and stealing money from you.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:12 PM

1,139 posts, read 3,467,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundsgoodtome View Post
Professional scam artists should get maximum time in jail/prison. All they care about is themselves and stealing money from you.
I think you have no idea that you'll be working all your life to subsidze his lifestyle in prison for the next 26 years and don't complain when taxes and everything else goes up to support them!

What's required is reform, reform and reform. If you put someone in 26 yrs - what will happen after they come out 26 yrs later, they will commit more crime just to survive since no one would want to hire someone who went to prison, let alone with a 26 year gap in resume!!!

Old 04-26-2013, 08:25 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,894 times
How about 5 years and 20 years of community service and probation. Let him clean cages at the animal shelter or work at another place that need volunteers. Its good to make an example of someone like this but rapists and murderers often serve less than 26 years.

I don't know how it is there but in my area a band of roving roofers can come around the area, ask for half down for materials, then never come back. That should be considered a premeditated theft by deception crime, but instead they call it a civil case. Same happens with contractors that take the money and don't ever finish the job. In Texas a contractor that stole these peoples money and never finished the work got 12 years in prison. He obviously used the scam on many people and wasn't afraid of a civil complaint. I do think a prison term for crimes of fraud would deter some from pulling these types of crimes.

Old 04-27-2013, 05:35 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
He'll likely serve a small fraction of that time.

Old 04-27-2013, 06:05 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,225,857 times
He's a despicable jerk and deserves jail time but his crimes pale compared to what goes on daily on Wall Street. Unfortunately for him, he didn't have political connections.

Old 04-27-2013, 06:43 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times
"One" out of how many that are still loose?
The problem is that he is now living on our tax money! So I am not sure who wins here.

Anyone renting homes that are in the process of being foreclosed/foreclosed on/or on short sale should also be arrested and prosecuted for fraud and extortion. This is just one drop in the bucket.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:19 AM

66 posts, read 115,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaite View Post
I think you have no idea that you'll be working all your life to subsidze his lifestyle in prison for the next 26 years and don't complain when taxes and everything else goes up to support them!

What's required is reform, reform and reform. If you put someone in 26 yrs - what will happen after they come out 26 yrs later, they will commit more crime just to survive since no one would want to hire someone who went to prison, let alone with a 26 year gap in resume!!!

Every choice made has consequences. The more heinous the act, the higher the consequence. How can you reform a thief and scam artist? Should we remove their voice box out of their throat? He will probably serve 11 years and be released. If you can't serve the time, don't commit the crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay