Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 07:59 PM

39 posts, read 67,701 times

Advertisements

EngGirl: I didn't mean to be harsh. Knowing you moved here from another country helps me better understand your perspective. I was just trying to say that I am an example of someone who has built a very successful career with a degree that some would deem less "worthy" than others (for lack of a better term).

I cannot speak for the OP, but I went to college for learning, not job training. My liberal arts education has been invaluable to me. In the workplace, I find myself surrounded by people with advanced degrees who are incapable of critical path thinking; i.e. common sense. It factors into why I can now demand a higher salary than most of them.

It's great that you pursued a path that has led to your success and fulfillment. I was trying to give some insight into how the OP, with her degree and experience, can achieve her goals with the tools she has already established. In my opinion, she does not have to "go back to school for better opportunities". The opportunities are there for the taking if she perseveres.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 08:04 PM

39 posts, read 67,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfer View Post
I know I read it a long time ago, but it seems so many people work in fields other than what the College Degree says. I know how valuable a good writer, speaker and communicator can be to management. You have a degree, you have job experience, you are already ahead of many applicants for the same job.
I missed this post in my first review of the thread. This is what I meant in a nutshell - you expressed it much more succinctly!

Old 05-03-2013, 03:08 AM

792 posts, read 2,292,206 times
I would not even seek a clerical job around here. Your better off being a server in a restaurant. At least then you can make about $15-20/hr.

After you get settled, then you can decide what you want to do career wise.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:53 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,806,501 times
TKNYC
I agree with you and understand your point. Nobody is going to school for job training. School is giving us base knowledge and platform for thinking. I use less than 10% of what I learned at school, but it doesn’t mean I could be where I am right now without school.
Some professions require you to get your degree first and some not. Based on your posts I am sure you could get to the position you have now even if you didn’t have you liberal arts degree. Some people are just lucky and smart and you are one of them. I don’t know OP and I am sure she is also a smart girl, but lets look at reality: people keep saying “But he didn’t have college degree and became a millionaire” and the only problem here is that only few people like that managed to get to that level and most couldn’t.
What I love about education system in the US is that you can go back to school whenever you want. But based on my own experience it’s hard to go back to school when you have job that pays your bills and family you need to feed. That’s why I asked OP how she sees herself in the future. I am not trying to offend anyone with majors in English, no… I guess we cannot make someone to change their lives unless they are willing to do so.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:13 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Admin/Clerical/Receptionist positions used to be a semi-skilled position. However, now that most people know how to type, use email, MS Word and operate telephone systems.... it is now a low skilled position that many people can do. Not to mention, middle management no longer utilize secretaries because they can do this work themselves... and are expected to. Executive assistants are more skilled and get paid more... maybe your experience will help? Basic clerical jobs don't pay well because the position is super easy to fill due to the number of people that know how to do it. Supply and Demand.

English Degree? I have a friend who started on the bottom rung in a call center and she is now an HR Generalist for the company who has an English Degree. You may have to settle on just getting your foot in the door with a company that has room for growth and bust your tail. Maybe in 2 years you'll be making what you think you should.

Unfortunately, with a computer on every desk, and everyone knowing how to use them and companies operating more efficiently has pushed clerical work wayside. Most general clerical work is now considered Data Entry.
FloridaKash nailed it here ^^^^. This line of work is being phased out. My husband has worked for Hillsborough County for 13 years now, when he started the office had several secretaries and admin. assts. Today there are virtually none - not needed. He does all his own typing, appointment scheduling, etc. There is maybe one clerical person left in there.

I think the person who mentioned working in a legal office is a good idea; and I understand you don't want to go back to school, but I think it would be WAY helpful if you at least took some additional courses either to be a paralegal or do something in the medical field: there are always openings in medical anywhere here. You will definitely have to "think outside the box." And yes, you need to relocate before finding any type of job, especially what you are seeking. As others have said, pay is low because these positions are so few and there are thousands of people willing to take it - yes, supply and demand.

Having any kind of degree is always helpful; plus if you take even some sort of courses for a few months it shows initiative on your part. A great way to stand out from the pack is being pro-active.

Good luck to you!

Old 05-03-2013, 03:39 PM

50 posts, read 86,415 times
I keep forgetting to check this thread =) Thanks to everyone for more insight. Ironically, my first job when I moved out here was working in a law firm. It was the job from hell because the lawyer who ran the place was a meglomaniac. I got out of there as fast as I could. My second experience with a law firm involved one offering me a job and then withdrawing the offer after I had accepted. It was...fun. So I'm a little leery of the law offices but I'd definitely be willing to give them another try! I'd also like to break into the medical/clerical field. That one definitely seems to require experience.

Education nowadays is expensive. Insanely expensive. I am just not interested in returning to school and racking up debt at this point in my life. EngGirl, I'm actually making well above $10/$12/hour at my current job. Closer to $20/hour. But I know the job market in Tampa (and many other parts of the country) pay far, far less for admin/clerical style jobs. Right now, my main concern is simply relocating and being able to find a job, period. Then once I readjusted and got settled and on my feet I could consider doing some more detailed searching for a job I might enjoy/earn more.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:35 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,806,501 times
You will not be getting paid $20 per hour for clerical job in Tampa, $10-12 at the most if you will be lucky and find a job. Even though you might get to the point in your life when you will be getting paid $20, it will be your top pay. Education is expensive, but with a right career choice you can pay off your school loan within few years. I paid off my school loan within first year after graduation. I had enough to pay $1500 per months and yes, I had other expenses - daycare expenses for 2 little ones (close to $2000 per month) + paid rent and groceries and gas and had money left for other expenses. I never regret I had to take school loan because I paid it off and now enjoying my life. I have a great job I really like. There is no better investment than investment in your education and your head.
Best luck to you!

Old 05-06-2013, 10:25 AM

50 posts, read 86,415 times
Oh I'm aware I won't be making $20/hour in Tampa. I've looked into the average rates of pay/per hour and it's low. I definitely realize that. That's great that going back to school worked out for you!

Old 05-06-2013, 11:46 AM

159 posts, read 82,974 times
I'm also hoping to move to Florida, also with a liberal arts degree -- my job history is in libraries, but I left that quite a while ago. Library pay is also low, but at least provides government benefits, which are nice, and the job's fun. Many positions only require the Bachelor's if that, and there, English is perfect.

My fallback was always the temp agency, and I think you're making a good move by starting with that. They keep an eye on demand trends, and often offer free training in needed areas like medical transcription, billing, etc. I'd definitely take advantage of that if you can.

I know you don't like teaching (I'm with you there!) but if your only objection to pursuing higher education is the debt, what's surprising is that many Masters' programs in Creative Writing come with teaching assistantships, so you're actually getting paid (a little) while gaining a free degree: then with the Master's you can go into editing, publishing, technical writing for firms, or even (horrors) teaching at the college level. If I can get in to one of those programs, getting the MFA is what I'd like to do.

Just a thought --

Anyway, good luck in your search, and your move! Being near family is a huge thing. I moved away from mine, and now they're all gone, so I wish I'd stayed closer while I had them. Hopefully everything will work out great for you once you're there!

Old 05-06-2013, 12:06 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,694,658 times
Tampa has many jobs in there call ctrs as Disney Reservation ctr in Tampa also USSA pays well in there ctr.
telecom park is where there are many call ctr jobs. maybe check into USAA also I think medco has a call ctr here.

at least in would give you an in into the company-verizon wireless also has ads for jobs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay