U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2013, 03:11 AM

11 posts, read 26,651 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are considering moving to Virginia Park (just two blocks west of Dale Mabry) with two small children. We had our hopes set on Hyde Park but no luck finding a place in our budget. Would you say Virginia park is safe area? Is it the kind of place you can go for a bike ride with your kids? Are there any parks or public pools to walk or bike to that you don't have to cross major streets to get to? Are there any restaurants to walk to? We are out of town and doing this all over the internet. We need to find a place quickly but are totally willing to go out to the burbs and suck up a commute if this area is not that outdoor doing things with kids friendly.

THANKS! in advance for all your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 06:49 AM

4,825 posts, read 3,481,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alotofmoving View Post
Hi,

We are considering moving to Virginia Park (just two blocks west of Dale Mabry) with two small children. We had our hopes set on Hyde Park but no luck finding a place in our budget. Would you say Virginia park is safe area? Is it the kind of place you can go for a bike ride with your kids? Are there any parks or public pools to walk or bike to that you don't have to cross major streets to get to? Are there any restaurants to walk to? We are out of town and doing this all over the internet. We need to find a place quickly but are totally willing to go out to the burbs and suck up a commute if this area is not that outdoor doing things with kids friendly.

THANKS! in advance for all your help!
Its a very safe area, We moved from Hyde Park to that area, although we are in the Palma Ceia side, my boys are always going to Virginia Park to play, I think (or it seems) that there are more kids in that side of Dale Mabry, but yes if you drive around that area you always see kids playing outside, riding bikes, people jogging, or walking strollers. I dont know where that house you are looking at is, but north of El prado is nicer, although in that area between el prado and euclid there are some really big new houses. There is a couple of parks, a public pool by the middle school, and the Y is nearby. As far as crossing major streets is South Tampa you basically have 10 block squares surround by major to mid major streets.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:03 AM

I guess what I am asking is within that 10 block radius (meaning not having to cross Dale Mabry, BaytoBay, El Prado or Manhattan, are there any parks to walk to or restaurants to go to. Very small kids and looking for walk ability or very kid friendly riding.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alotofmoving View Post
I guess what I am asking is within that 10 block radius (meaning not having to cross Dale Mabry, BaytoBay, El Prado or Manhattan, are there any parks to walk to or restaurants to go to. Very small kids and looking for walk ability or very kid friendly riding.
There is a park at bay to bay and Lois, friendship park, there are some shops on Dale Mabry .

Old 05-04-2013, 02:19 PM

2,879 posts, read 1,801,138 times
The problem with Virginia Park and kids is NO SIDEWALKS. Do yourself a favor and look in neighborhoods with sidewalks. When we looked in South Tampa, sidewalks was at the top of our list of must-haves, AND WE DON'T EVEN HAVE KIDS. Yes people in Virginia Park have lots of kids doing all kinds of things on the streets, but to me, it just is not safe. There are too many cars racing down the roads cutting through between Dale Mabry and Manhattan.

South Tampa unfortunately has a dearth of neighborhoods with sidewalks.

I don't think, however, this should preclude you from moving to South Tampa. If choosing the burbs means a long commute, that is never a wise choice, financially or health-wise.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
The problem with Virginia Park and kids is NO SIDEWALKS. Do yourself a favor and look in neighborhoods with sidewalks. When we looked in South Tampa, sidewalks was at the top of our list of must-haves, AND WE DON'T EVEN HAVE KIDS. Yes people in Virginia Park have lots of kids doing all kinds of things on the streets, but to me, it just is not safe. There are too many cars racing down the roads cutting through between Dale Mabry and Manhattan.

South Tampa unfortunately has a dearth of neighborhoods with sidewalks.

I don't think, however, this should preclude you from moving to South Tampa. If choosing the burbs means a long commute, that is never a wise choice, financially or health-wise.
As you have stated this is not a Virginia Park issue, I live in Palma Ceia and I also don't have sidewalks in one side of my street, ditto for when I lived in Hyde Park. There are dips on the north-south streets and stop signs on the east-west, therefore it would be a very inefficient way to cut across. I looked up accidents involving pedestrians in that area on the TPD site, guess how many in the last 5 years, zero. I do wonder what is the regulation involving sidewalks because it is very inconsistent and with out rhyme and reason, in our block now there is a sidewalk in one side except in 2 houses which I find weird.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:16 PM

485 posts, read 847,307 times
My brother lives on Tacon Street in Virginia Park and is always having panic attacks when he goes for a jog that he's gonna get hit by a car. There is no question that those streets get a lot of cut-thru traffic. It's a very stressful situation to jog or go for a walk with your kid in a stroller in the street. Streets are not made for pedestrians, they are made for cars.Somebody should post a list of the South Tampa neighborhoods with sidewalks. Off the top of my head I know that
Beach Park and New Suburb Beautiful and Parkland States and Golfview have sidewalks. Also most of Hyde Park.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by planedition View Post
My brother lives on Tacon Street in Virginia Park and is always having panic attacks when he goes for a jog that he's gonna get hit by a car. There is no question that those streets get a lot of cut-thru traffic. It's a very stressful situation to jog or go for a walk with your kid in a stroller in the street. Streets are not made for pedestrians, they are made for cars.Somebody should post a list of the South Tampa neighborhoods with sidewalks. Off the top of my head I know that
Beach Park and New Suburb Beautiful and Parkland States and Golfview have sidewalks. Also most of Hyde Park.
I can't speak of your brother's anxiety level. I can say that it doesnt make any sense to cut through that part of virginia park, you have el prado and bay to bay both are never congested why would someone go through 8 stop signs to cut across, especially when its a bear to make a left from dale mabry into virginia park unless you are at the light. I dont live there so it doesnt really matter, I agree Beach Park and New Suburb Beautiful and Parkland States and Golfview are all better neighborhoods but if the OP was priced out of Hyde Park, the same would apply for those neighborhoods.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:58 PM

485 posts, read 847,307 times
I asked my brother. He says that when traffic on Dale Mabry backs up, people cut through the streets in Virginia Park all the time. If you are sitting on Dale Mabry going north, and you already passed El Prado, and you are stuck in gridlock, you cut through those streets.There is a big difference between a quiet residential street with no cut-through traffic (like many streets in Beach Park or Parkland Estates) and the streets in New Suburb Beautiful, VA park, Palma Ceia, etc. with cut-through traffic. That difference is even more accentuated when you throw in the fact of no sidewalks (which doesn't apply to New Suburb).

No sidewalks is a major negative

Old 05-06-2013, 01:49 AM

Planedition thank you for that input. It really helps. Our kids are no where old enough to ride a bike in a street or play in the street (not sure what age that would even happen at!) But I don't want to be secluded to being in our house all the time. Riding bikes and family walks are a big part of our lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or