Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 09:22 AM

35,680 posts, read 21,030,020 times

Advertisements

Per the Washington post ( April 22, 2013)and the Transpotation Dept. seems what I said earlier re: the trains. tri-rails etc. post was correct, the younger generation is walking or biking or taking mass transit... we need to consider this for the future of Tampa- see below
(quote<<<Ever since the recession hit in late 2007, Americans have been driving less and less. Was that because of the horrible economy? To some extent, perhaps. But it’s striking that Americans are still cutting back on driving even though the economy is growing again.>>

Last edited by tinytrump; 05-06-2013 at 09:23 AM.. Reason: add info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 09:46 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,607,604 times
Driving is expensive: gas, car insurance, maintenance, pollution, annoyance, etc. it takes a toll on people's wallets as well as nerves, not to mention accidents take an even bigger toll when they happen; the less driving the better.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:12 AM

6,620 posts, read 5,006,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Driving is expensive: gas, car insurance, maintenance, pollution, annoyance, etc. it takes a toll on people's wallets as well as nerves, not to mention accidents take an even bigger toll when they happen; the less driving the better.
This is because 80% of americans now live in urban areas, its been trending that way for the last 30 years.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:45 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Noticed more and more inpatient, reckless drivers out there in Brandon this weekend - guess that explains why young drivers are so high to insure - they take crazy chances. They blow a tankful of gas by accelerating so quickly off the stoplights -

Kind of like living away from all of that in rural parts of Hillsborough Co.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:01 PM

We need to think of MASS Transit- buses, trains, rails, jitneys, everybody keeps balking about it - but it is the future! Heard gas going back up again sigh... as far as young- I put them in with the elderly,,,I see many older folks hardly being able to drive the electric carts at retail stores and WONDER how they manage to get to and from from the store!?? SCARY!

Old 05-06-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
This is because 80% of americans now live in urban areas, its been trending that way for the last 30 years.
I know "why" it is. I was commenting on the "expense" part. However within the suburbs there can be walking just fine. Take Carollwood for example, South Tampa, and a lot of other ones around here.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Noticed more and more inpatient, reckless drivers out there in Brandon this weekend
That is a side effect attached to retirees who have nowhere to go, don't have anything pressing on them like an employer, a sick kid, etc., and get out when working people get out to impede traffic. If they had some other way to get around, I am talking about 75+ crowd, then traffic would move better. However, when we're done with them, here come the snow birds who have no idea GPS was invented, and after all that, we have people who suffer from the "must text now or die" syndrome!

I still believe that if traffic laws would be respected (exclude bad weather), traffic would flow much better.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:09 PM

What is a "Jitney"?

Old 05-06-2013, 01:40 PM

Jitney may refer to: a share taxi a dollar van
In Miami there have small 15 passangers vans that drive up and down say Hillsborough or Dale Mabry only.. they come about every 15/ 20 min and folks move around pretty quickly. it used to be a $1.00- in NY they have same thing but taxis or towncars that stay in same vicinity ONLY much cheaper, and faster than walking. Great to get to local grocery store or even main bus line so you could connect. Older folks have the vans for them, they stop at some many places, usually from retirement homes etc and it's usually routine stops or even special requests, the van is available to them for a fee. Kids have school jitneys to and from the house and then maybe day care for $10 a week, they have a route in the same area. I think the rest of the world has something similar to get around in locally. Here only the hotels have shuttle buses.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:06 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
That is a side effect attached to retirees who have nowhere to go, don't have anything pressing on them like an employer, a sick kid, etc., and get out when working people get out to impede traffic. If they had some other way to get around, I am talking about 75+ crowd, then traffic would move better. However, when we're done with them, here come the snow birds who have no idea GPS was invented, and after all that, we have people who suffer from the "must text now or die" syndrome!

I still believe that if traffic laws would be respected (exclude bad weather), traffic would flow much better.
I get tailgated even when I'm driving 10 mph over the speed limit (65 in 55 mph) ----I don't think anything will please the inpatient young driver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay