Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 01:51 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,009,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethinktank View Post
If it were cheap, it would be a pretty awesome way to commute to work. But the $24M price tag pays for two 250-passenger vessels and all the amenities required to run the system. Given that the proposed route would ferry people between Southern Hillsborough, Channelside, MacDill, Downtown St. Pete and back, even at a constant cruising speed of 40mph it would take two hours to complete that circuit including standing time. So at capacity, you're moving 500 people at a time throughout a two hour circuit. That really isn't pulling many cars off the road at all.
Yea thats crazy why Channelside and St Pete, maybe they could just do AP to MCdill during peak hours, 5-10 3-7 then do the round circuit the rest of the day, it could be a touristy thing to do as well. That is some expensive boats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 01:52 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
I am NOT ok with spending that money on a ferry service to allow those people that CHOSE to live that far away from the base. They likely chose to live that far because the housing is far cheaper there. They decided to make that choice.

Turanchik sounds like a New Yorker trying to bring the Hudson ferry service to Tampa Bay. Only a couple huge issues. Tampa Bay is much large than the Hudson, and the population is far less dense.
Now you have a problem with the reporter?

You can simply state your opinion and make your case if you want others to give attention to what you write, IMO.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:55 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,806,501 times
Quote:
I didn't say "per day", and the incorrect assumption is yours:

The $24M investment does not cover fuel, maintenance and depreciation costs. Buses, for example, have a 10-12 year usage life and land vehicles cost much less to maintain and operate. It's likely that after 30 years, you'd be ready to purchase your third generation of high speed ferries. Additionally, due to new technologies, future ferry generations would likely increase in purchase and maintenance costs.
Well, I was just correcting your "rough math", don't take it personal I wasn't the one who decided to show off my math skills

Old 05-13-2013, 01:58 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,806,501 times
Quote:
Absolutely! In the interest of avoiding straw-man arguments and staying on the topic of high speed ferry, I'll keep them to myself to share in a separate thread.

I'm certainly comfortable (and not at all afraid) sharing, but in the interest of civility and keeping on topic, my mouth is shut.
What a great answer when you have nothing to say

Old 05-13-2013, 02:00 PM

451 posts, read 933,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
Well, I was just correcting your "rough math", don't take it personal I wasn't the one who decided to show off my math skills
No personal offense taken.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:05 PM

443 posts, read 558,680 times
Quote:
All I can gather is that he thinks it makes more sense to throw money at other solutions that will cost far, far more in taxpayer dollars in regards to start up, fuel, and depreciation... and will benefit other parts of the county, since he is apparently dead set on penalizing people for living in certain areas for an as-of-yet unexplained reason.

Nevermind that there is no guarantee that any other solution will work since the region is vastly spread out and there is no core job center. How do we know Tampaniacs will use light rail? We don't. People around here are very resistant to change.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
I'm not going to be baited into a straw man argument when you're clearly waiting with a torch in your hands. There are plenty of reactionaries here that will play those games with you, though.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigtnelson View Post
All I can gather is that he thinks it makes more sense to throw money at other solutions that will cost far, far more in taxpayer dollars in regards to start up, fuel, and depreciation... and will benefit other parts of the county
I've said nothing of the sort. In fact, about this specific topic, I've already offered a lower-cost suggestion as an alternative to the high speed ferry.

Quote:
since he is apparently dead set on penalizing people for living in certain areas for an as-of-yet unexplained reason.
I've suggested penalizing no one. You understand what a penalty is, right?

Old 05-13-2013, 02:15 PM

443 posts, read 558,680 times
Still waiting for your alternative solution for folks along the south Hillsborough corridor.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Still waiting for your alternative solution for folks along the south Hillsborough corridor.
And I'm still waiting for the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay