Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 11:31 AM

500 posts, read 1,173,473 times

Advertisements

We are coming down next week for a vacation/scouting trip for an eventual move to the Bay area in the next 2 years. We only have 6 days, not nearly enough time to figure it all out, so I've been doing a lot of research here, and am more confused than ever!

The only things I really know for sure are these:

1) Not Tampa/"mainland". We want to be on the "peninsula" west of the Bay; no further north than Palm Harbor (which is hopefully the location my company will transfer me to), and as far south as is "safe" (Central Ave. St Pete? That's what I've gathered from what you all say about "don't go to South St Pete!"). So obviously, St Pete, Clearwater, Largo, Safety Harbor, Seminole, Dunedin, Palm Harbor...right?

2) Within a 10-15 minute drive of a good beach, the closer the better. (Would love to be able to bike to a good beach in a perfect world!)

3) Will need a 2 bedroom/1 bath apartment under $850/mth, preferably at least 900 sq ft. I work in Property Management and if my company transfers me to our Palm Harbor community, we can live there with an employee discount for that much, but I've never really been too keen on living on site because residents think you're at work 24/7 and invade your personal time. Searching for apartments in your areas has proven difficult, because the difference in a "good neighborhood" and a "bad neighborhood" seems to be about a half a block in some places! I've never found it difficult to understand a proper apartment search, being in the business for 7 years, but your area has me kinda dumbfounded. We would not be adverse to renting from a single owner, even something like a garage apartment, as long as it's nice. I'm willing to go smaller if it's updated.

4) Want an area that's good for walking and biking, not somewhere that has to be navigated by car only. But at the same time, we don't want a "downtown" vibe with tons of touristy bars and restraurants everywhere you look (although, the idea of Downtown St Pete does intrigue me for some reason. We want to be able to park easily and not have to fight traffic and throngs of people regularly). But then on the third hand, we don't want a sleepy suburban town, either. We want to be able to spend the majority of our time within 10-15 minutes of home. This includes being able to go to the library, Walmart, grocery store, movie theater, restaurants, beaches, and even work in Palm Harbor, if possible.

I just feel rather overwhelmed at trying to figure out WHERE to focus our search on next week. Even if someone says "Clearwater!", I would have no idea what PARTS of Clearwater to look, so even street boundaries would be fabulous! Any input would be so helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 11:36 AM

443 posts, read 558,398 times
When in Pinellas county, I've found that as a general rule of thumb, the closer you are to water the better... be it bay side or gulf. ymmv

Most of Pinellas's interior is run down and undesirable.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:36 AM

500 posts, read 1,173,473 times
PS: Schools don't matter. No kids. When I think about it, the "best neighborhood of the worst school district" would actually kinda make sense, because no one with kids wants to live in the bad school districts, so those would be the cheapest areas, right?

Old 05-13-2013, 12:46 PM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,821,831 times
I am moving in 2014 to St. Pete and have done a ton of research outside of here and reading everything I can on this forum.

A few notes on what you have said and from what I have found in my own research - rent at or under $850 is not going to get you the square footage you stated. Well, anything is possible, there is always that rare gem in any area but you'd have to be at the right place, right time, and snatch it up. I look at rentals pretty steadily and your price range is about what mine is and I'm looking at square footage of 700-800 ft if I'm lucky. That's small to me but being on a budget, so be it if it gets me in the neighborhood I want.

Also, to get a feel for the amenities you're interested in, this is what I did (laugh if you want, I can be such a geek, lol) - I have a few maps of the area from visitor's guides and what not and I pinned them up on a wall. I then googled various places I was hoping would be fairly close (in your case, Walmart, grocery store, movies, etc.). I got their addresses and noted them on my map(s). Once done, you can look at your map to see what area has the most of what you are looking for. What I found, though, is most of the area is covered pretty good with convenience.

p.s. I was overwhelmed at first too and never thought I'd get a handle on it being as far away as I am but the more you read, you will one day feel like you have enough info to give someone else advice.

Good luck!!

Old 05-13-2013, 01:06 PM
BBI

490 posts, read 939,875 times
cmj,

A few questions:

1. I'm assuming you're working in Palm Harbor. How long (in minutes) is an acceptable commute? Is your spouse working, where, and what commute is acceptable?

2. How old are you?

3. When you say you want "an area that's good for walking and biking" do you mean you want to live somewhere that's walkable/bikeable to things (and, if so, what things?), or where there's a nice place to go for a walk or bike ride?

Old 05-13-2013, 01:07 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,802,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjones311 View Post
PS: Schools don't matter. No kids. When I think about it, the "best neighborhood of the worst school district" would actually kinda make sense, because no one with kids wants to live in the bad school districts, so those would be the cheapest areas, right?
Bad school district -> families with kids who don't care about schools and education in general -> lower class people -> cheapest area

Old 05-13-2013, 02:19 PM

6,620 posts, read 5,006,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
Bad school district -> families with kids who don't care about schools and education in general -> lower class people -> cheapest area
How about NE great area not the best school district. Not a good idea to classify people as low class, I guess Wesley Chapel is the epicenter of high class in Tampa.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:18 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjones311 View Post
HOW do you figure out what part of the area you want to live?

Traffic and gridlock. I hate it. I spent the week in Jacksonville and every day had to deal with miserable traffic when commuting around the area.

Be very careful what type of traffic you'll have to deal with everyday - especially Clearwater where I find some really bad traffic flow.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:31 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
what about Dunnedin or Safety Harbor? They are small towns but close to just about anything you would need and walkable if you live near enough to the town. Close to the beach and to Palm Harbor. Honestly, while walking and biking are fun to do you have to consider the weather. It is hot during the day plus you have thunderstorms nearly every day during the summer. Traffic is bad everywhere during rush hour. On the weekends during the summer traffic going to most of the beaches can be backed up for miles too.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:37 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,163,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
or maybe the schools are just - lousy - sad to say that, but..... people have kids, have to get them educated and it's not so easy for most people to just MOVE to a 'better' school district (( .....

wdyt?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay