Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 06:43 AM

16,979 posts, read 21,625,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
or they're financially desperate and winning the lottery is their "retirement plan".
Classic! That is probably more the case rather than the disposable income idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 06:47 AM

16,979 posts, read 21,625,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
I couldn't believe when I heard about the winner ... from Zephyrhills! I am happy it's someone local! Yay!!!! Hugs to that person! I was just talking to my mom yesterday that most winning tickets were sold at the gas stations, so there was no point to stop by at our Publix LOL
The local paper did an article on the lottery and who makes money. Publix makes 36mm a year off the lottery! Publix sells more tickets than any other retailer, they get a nickel a ticket to sell them, plus bonuses for selling the winning tickets (I think they get $35,000 for selling this winning ticket)

Old 05-20-2013, 08:32 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,221,189 times
The national and local attention they got (free publicity) doesn't hurt either. Every story I've seen so far on this lottery has a reporter standing in front of the Publix where the ticket was sold - free advertising.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:43 AM

35,324 posts, read 20,685,064 times
Hey mr or mrs winner, rem the cable guy!! (my son)

Old 05-23-2013, 06:21 PM

384 posts, read 593,289 times
The winner(s) will receive around 224 million (cash option) after they pay their 39.6% Federal Tax Liability ( not just the misleading withholding amount that is always reported). That is assuming they reside in Florida.

I hope it is one of those big groups who purchased tickets together. 224 million for one person or family is insane and there is absolutely no way a person of modest means would be able to deal with the burdens that would be associated with that.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:16 AM

792 posts, read 2,281,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cy_flembeck View Post
The winner(s) will receive around 224 million (cash option) after they pay their 39.6% Federal Tax Liability ( not just the misleading withholding amount that is always reported). That is assuming they reside in Florida.

I hope it is one of those big groups who purchased tickets together. 224 million for one person or family is insane and there is absolutely no way a person of modest means would be able to deal with the burdens that would be associated with that.
I think the bigger the jackpot, the more sense it makes to take the 20 year payout. It's still more money than you can spend every year and you don't have to worry about investing or all the associated pitfalls of managing such a large amount money.

Old 05-24-2013, 06:22 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,828,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post
I think the bigger the jackpot, the more sense it makes to take the 20 year payout. It's still more money than you can spend every year and you don't have to worry about investing or all the associated pitfalls of managing such a large amount money.
I never understand why people take it in one shot. I would rather know that I will be money every 20 years. That way if something went wrong in investments, choices or ripped off by investment managers, I know another bundle of money will be on its way. If I have millions and millions coming in every year, maximizing profits on the money would not be my number one priority.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:20 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,762,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cy_flembeck View Post
I really don't care if it was a one person winner, or a group of people.

Taking money as one time payment might be an option if you are planning to make more money out of this money, invest it in something, maybe half of it...

Everytime I hear about winners, I really hope these people will be willing to help someone in need. There are so many kids in the world who need some medical treatment and insurances (if any) are not covering it... I see here and there people collecting money for their loved once, and for winners needed amount might be like a penny.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:53 AM

Powerball winner remains a mystery

Old 06-05-2013, 12:38 PM

ZEPHYRHILLS, Fla. — The winner of a $590 million Powerball jackpot has come forward, according to the Florida Lottery.

A 2 p.m. press conference Wednesday will have more details about the winner, who bought the ticket last month at a Publix grocery store in this town of 13,000 about 30 miles northeast of Tampa.

The winner will not attend the press briefing, but lottery officials say she is a woman from Zephyrills in her 70s. State law requires her name to be revealed, however, which will end two weeks of speculation among the dreamers who snapped up millions of tickets in the hours ahead of the May 18 drawing.

Read more: $590 million Powerball winner remains a mystery after two long weeks and STILL no claim to prize - NY Daily News

STORY: Jackpot winner has Florida city abuzz

The winner, who will be the largest sole lottery jackpot winner in history, had 60 days from the drawing date to claim a lump-sum payment.

The ticket is worth a pre-tax, lump sum payout of about $370 million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay