Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 07:52 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,775,792 times

Advertisements

I bet the OP saw the people riding in trucks and other stuff he didn't like in CHASLS2's favorite area, West Pasco.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:11 PM

8,488 posts, read 20,553,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Anyone who was born and raised on "M" street in DC would have this opinion.

As for "rich kids sharing a school with poor kids" all I have to say to you is GFYRA.
That is very insulting, and personally I see no reason why would the new generations of innocent children be raised so poorly.
Is this make up your own acronym day?

What is insulting? What are you trying to say?

Old 05-24-2013, 09:03 PM

323 posts, read 681,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhjfoe View Post
I've been in the Tampa area now for about 6 months now. In that time I have seen some really odd things:
a person riding a kids motor scooter on the highway, people riding on the interstate in the back bed of a pick up truck, and various other strange things.

The sad part is, I moved to what I thought was an upscale area. It seems upscale in Florida means lower middle class elsewhere. If you have school age kids, you can expect most of the public school class to be free lunch, including the most exclusive areas. I've also heard that many people live in the local woods, and I don't mean in a cabin overlooking a mountain vista.

The houses here seem to be built all alike and seem very cheaply built, more so than anywhere else I've seen other than around Atlanta.

I have another 6 months of time to do here and then almost certainly will leave. While I like the beach and the sunny weather, most everything else has been a step down from elsewhere. You get what you pay for it really seems.
Yeah, everyone has a right to their own opinion, but almost everything in this post is so ridiculously over the top:

The "real oddities" including someone riding in the back of a pickup on an interstate? Really? I've seen that basically everywhere in the US I've been for more than a week. Stupid? Sure. But...Who. Really. Cares?!

Not to mention the amazing contradiction of living in a supposedly upscale area (Many of us would love to know which area this is) combined with, and I quote, "You get what you pay for it really seems." So....which is it? Do you live in an upper class area, meaning you've paid a higher amount than the majority of the population, or do you live where it is cheap and expect it to be the Hamptons?

The post is ridiculous on all levels. Personal opinions and evaluations, even when negative, are helpful... IF they actually make sense. This is a complete failure.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:11 PM

17,465 posts, read 38,864,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by druthb00 View Post
Yeah, everyone has a right to their own opinion, but almost everything in this post is so ridiculously over the top:

The "real oddities" including someone riding in the back of a pickup on an interstate? Really? I've seen that basically everywhere in the US I've been for more than a week. Stupid? Sure. But...Who. Really. Cares?!

Not to mention the amazing contradiction of living in a supposedly upscale area (Many of us would love to know which area this is) combined with, and I quote, "You get what you pay for it really seems." So....which is it? Do you live in an upper class area, meaning you've paid a higher amount than the majority of the population, or do you live where it is cheap and expect it to be the Hamptons?

The post is ridiculous on all levels. Personal opinions and evaluations, even when negative, are helpful... IF they actually make sense. This is a complete failure.
All I can say is ^^^

Old 05-25-2013, 09:34 AM

6,583 posts, read 4,959,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planedition View Post
I agree with craignelson. I grossly dislike when someoene comes here to criticize the city or region and they get attacked and labeled as a "troll". That should not be permissible. And it speaks very poorly of the people in this forum.

The OP did not make any personal attacks or post any offensive language. They have their opinion and it should be respected. I don't agree with it, but I respect it. I am not going to attack the OP for disliking Tampa. I am going to advise the OP that many millions of people love living here and would DIE to live here. And that if he/she doesn't like it, he/she should move elsewhere and leave the area to the people who love it.

The OP, sadly, sounds like someone who is not very worldly, educated or well-traveled. If he/she were, and would have seen the truly horrendous cities of this world, he would realize what a truly wonderful place Tampa Bay is.
It would be better if it was just on Forums, I remember when I moved here, for my first 2 years I hated it, and people at my job expected me to say "it's amazing" and would get offended that I wasn't overcome with joy to be living in paradise. I often meet people who Florida is so much a part of the identity that any negativity they take it to heart, growing up in NYC I am sure the city was a part of my identity as well and maybe I just wasn't as cognizant of that. I seldom get defensive of the tri-state area and take most negativity as crazy talk, unless is someone from Boston that just rubs me the wrong way.
I would say to the OP that it seems like he just made the wrong choice as far as the area where he is, Tampa really has a lot of different neighborhoods to choose from, but it is crazy to move to Florida then complain that it only has one season or that is hot, because you could of asked literally anyone who has spent more than a month in Florida and they could have told you it is hot here (except for a certain poster who lives in a coastal town, he would argue that his a/c stays off, is pretty dry here and we apparently have seasons)

Old 05-25-2013, 09:52 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,024,514 times
We must tell them the truth. THe whole story. Lets not forget the terrible bugs, snakes and other wild creatures that could attack you in your sleep. Roving bands of delinquents will certainly grab you off the street and you will never be heard from again. Florida is a bad bad place. Dont even think about moving here. 19 million people are dying to get out of here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I agree! This state has waaaay too many people now! Folks, this place is definitely hell on earth! Get out while there is still time! And if you haven't moved here yet, BEWARE!!! Sinkholes, hurricanes, savages living in the woods, the poor mixing with the rich - oh, the horror! It boggles the mind!

Old 05-25-2013, 09:53 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,595,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planedition View Post
I agree with craignelson. I grossly dislike when someoene comes here to criticize the city or region and they get attacked and labeled as a "troll". That should not be permissible. And it speaks very poorly of the people in this forum.

The OP did not make any personal attacks or post any offensive language. They have their opinion and it should be respected. I don't agree with it, but I respect it. I am not going to attack the OP for disliking Tampa. I am going to advise the OP that many millions of people love living here and would DIE to live here. And that if he/she doesn't like it, he/she should move elsewhere and leave the area to the people who love it.

The OP, sadly, sounds like someone who is not very worldly, educated or well-traveled. If he/she were, and would have seen the truly horrendous cities of this world, he would realize what a truly wonderful place Tampa Bay is.
I suppose basically telling someone they're an idiot is not an attack. It's all in the wording, right?

Old 05-25-2013, 10:39 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,579,907 times
I agree. Its like if people who don't love the area must be bad people or something; however at the same time 6 months is hardly long enough to explore this area as spread out as it is! Regardless, being rude to posters who don't find this area attractive is also rude.
Quote:
Originally Posted by planedition I grossly dislike when someoene comes here to criticize the city or region and they get attacked and labeled as a "troll". That should not be permissible. And it speaks very poorly of the people in this forum.
Why? because everyone in your opinion should be an English major, and have traveled everywhere? I hate to tell you this, but I meet someone recently who has lived in Tampa for 8 years and has not gone to the beach once! NOT ONCE! OMG! I can't even imagine what that would be like. They were from up north somewhere. Maybe "English" wasn't their first language. It is pretty shocking to see all these pick up trucks everywhere, some very old carrying very questionable people. Just yesterday we saw a van full of Mexicans; I mean FULL, OMG they were in it like sardines, why should that be considered "normal"??? also yesterday we saw two sets of idiots chasing each other on I-4 at well over 100 miles per hour; why should that be "normal"? have any of the cheerleaders been to East Tampa? if someone lived there its pretty easy to have a bad opinion on Tampa and be mortified that tourists see that too; funny thing is that all the people who attacked the OP don't even live in Tampa or its immediate surroundings, so they throw in opinions and attacks when they don't even live there, in the heart of it. So let's just drop the hypocrisy, it makes us look really out of touch with reality. You should also consider that if these people moved to Tampa from a small town where nothing ever happens, moving here its like a culture shock; if you lived somewhere where you knew everyone, and all of the sudden moved here you'd freak out no doubt. On the flip side incomes are much smaller in Florida thanks to our politicians, so of course kids will qualify for free meals, that was a cheap shot, but what exactly to you expect when very few fields/companies here are paying a living wage!? It could also been that an overzealous RE Over-advertised an area (OP is probably in Land o Lakes somewhere) so I am not all surprised he/she came up with that conclusion. Lots of suburbs are way over-advertised here, so let's not beat around the bush on that.
Can anyone really argue that the homes are all the same? someone arguing that needs glasses. With the exception of South Tampa, everything else is completely depleted of any character, and it is just rampant cheap building. Nobody can really argue that. That is a fair observation anyone with eye sight can make. Sounds to me the OP never lived in the suburbs before because if they did, they would know the suburbs are all the same house repeated many times all over the US, and nothing more. You should see Vegas, or Phoenix, same thing. Of course you get what you pay for: people move here from up north to live cheaply, and be as complacent as possible. This is why Florida, and Tampa in particular will never change. People who move here EXPECT everything to be free, or very cheap because they take huge pay cuts not to shovel snow anymore and so since their incomes are much lower, their expectations were lowered as well. On the flip side, if someone lived in a Manhattan 300sfq apartment and paid $2000 for rent, of course they would think owning a home here is pure heaven! They don't even consider the surroundings, and the lack of conveniences, and that is precisely what Florida builders count on; let's say its their way to under-populate NYC/tri state area, and send all who cannot "make it there" down here to keep our IQ pool on the low side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by planedition: The OP, sadly, sounds like someone who is not very worldly, educated or well-traveled. If he/she were, and would have seen the truly horrendous cities of this world, he would realize what a truly wonderful place Tampa Bay is.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:43 AM

8,488 posts, read 20,553,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
Good, i'm not the only one who's noticed this.
Did you also notice how many of those that post purely to bash, rather than post something that can generate a conversation, inevitably post broad brush comments that are for the most part untruths?

Things like "upscale in Florida means lower middle class elsewhere" and "you can expect most of the public school class to be free lunch, including the most exclusive areas" are not comments that will provoke productive conversation where both sides of the coin are exposed and others can make a reasoned decision about the area if they are not familiar with it. All comments like that do are prod others to either defend the area or to jump on the "oh yeah it sucks" party bus.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:59 AM

552 posts, read 716,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
It would be better if it was just on Forums, I remember when I moved here, for my first 2 years I hated it, and people at my job expected me to say "it's amazing" and would get offended that I wasn't overcome with joy to be living in paradise. I often meet people who Florida is so much a part of the identity that any negativity they take it to heart, growing up in NYC I am sure the city was a part of my identity as well and maybe I just wasn't as cognizant of that. I seldom get defensive of the tri-state area and take most negativity as crazy talk, unless is someone from Boston that just rubs me the wrong way.
I would say to the OP that it seems like he just made the wrong choice as far as the area where he is, Tampa really has a lot of different neighborhoods to choose from, but it is crazy to move to Florida then complain that it only has one season or that is hot, because you could of asked literally anyone who has spent more than a month in Florida and they could have told you it is hot here (except for a certain poster who lives in a coastal town, he would argue that his a/c stays off, is pretty dry here and we apparently have seasons)
Boston is to New York what New York is to Tampa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay