U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2013, 08:55 PM

143 posts, read 207,943 times

Advertisements

I have a 12yo shih tzu and a 6yo west highlander terrier mix.... They are every good and loving dogs but I swear they share a brain cell between them.

We live in a new subdivision in Land O Lakes and after dark there are a TON of toads that come out. When I let them out at night they zero in on a toad if there is one on the lanai. I find out about what they are up to after a while when I'm curious why they are not bugging at the door to be let back in. When I go check it out I usually find a toad on it's back in a small puddle... probably all the junk they secrete when they are threatened. They don't hut it at all from what I can tell but they bug it just enough to keep it balled up and immobile. There is also a lot of drool in the area from my dogs salivating. When I get their attention they have foamed saliva around their mouths and goobers hanging from their jowls, and they give me this look like I just caught a couple of kids elbow deep in a cookie jar. Yep, fun's over! For the rest of the night they bug to get back outside so they can go toad hunting. The westie is sometimes a little twitchy for a while too.

So what's the deal with the toads here? Do they taste good or what? Am I missing out on something?

Old 05-31-2013, 09:12 PM

3,017 posts, read 4,864,023 times
I hope it's not one of these:

Toxic Bufo Toad Kills Dog In Florida, Poses Danger To Other Animals (VIDEO)

Old 05-31-2013, 09:16 PM

No not one of those! We'd probably know that by now. These are about the size of a golf ball, the odd one maybe a bit bigger.

[edit] But you bring up a good point. I should probably get on identifying what species it is! [/edit]

Old 06-01-2013, 05:09 AM

4,586 posts, read 4,619,913 times
Quote:
When I let them out at night they zero in on a toad if there is one on the lanai.
Why do you that and not supervise them?

To add: there's a neighbor here who puts two little dogs in leashes and leaves them outside to bark uncontrolled...I am not understanding why have dogs if you're not going to put the time to care for them??? The HOA will hear about this for sure, because these dogs will eventually die of heat exhaustion sitting in the sun like that.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:10 PM

463 posts, read 366,470 times
WARNING: These are not toads these are Cuban tree frogs. They are dangerously toxic to your dogs. The Bufo toad has poison sacs and are true toads. What you describe is the invasive and prolific Cuban Tree frog which is nocturnal. Its skin is toxic and can be lethal if eaten by other animals.
While not severe when the frog touched by a human hand ingestion is another matter.
You must remove your animals at once from eating these frogs, they are getting poison to their nervous systems by ingesting the frogs defensive mechanism.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:18 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,737,901 times
You should see the Marine Toad I had in my backyard last week...I took a photo- it was half the size of a cinder block! Also...poisonous...and dead now!

Old 06-01-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Why do you that and not supervise them?
If I see them go after one right away I pick the toad up and put it over the back fence (we back onto a conservation area). However it's pretty unrealistic to supervise them the whole time they are outside.... I'm not going to sit there and watch them for an hour+ if they decide to have a nap out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
To add: there's a neighbor here who puts two little dogs in leashes and leaves them outside to bark uncontrolled...I am not understanding why have dogs if you're not going to put the time to care for them??? The HOA will hear about this for sure, because these dogs will eventually die of heat exhaustion sitting in the sun like that.
???? ummmm...... sorry to hear about your neighbors barking dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mph101 View Post
WARNING: These are not toads these are Cuban tree frogs. They are dangerously toxic to your dogs. The Bufo toad has poison sacs and are true toads. What you describe is the invasive and prolific Cuban Tree frog which is nocturnal. Its skin is toxic and can be lethal if eaten by other animals.
While not severe when the frog touched by a human hand ingestion is another matter.
You must remove your animals at once from eating these frogs, they are getting poison to their nervous systems by ingesting the frogs defensive mechanism.
Haha. You identified these as the species how? I said they were toads and here's no way a cuban tree frog could be mistaken for a toad. If you've never seen the cuban tree frogs, they are pretty quick and really good climbers. I doubt my dogs could get one in a wide open area but on the lanai with a lot of places to hide and things to climb there is no chance they would ever get one. Also they certainly don't ball up and just sit there when something is coming for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpur View Post
You should see the Marine Toad I had in my backyard last week...I took a photo- it was half the size of a cinder block! Also...poisonous...and dead now!
Wow. I've heard of those but never seen one - I hear they are huge! Though if I did see one I suspect it would suffer the same fate as the one you came across... same with any cuban tree frogs I can catch up with. Sorry if anybody is sensitive to that sort of thing but for those who don't know they are an invasive species that are doing a lot of harm. They eat small baby birds, anoles, and the native green tree frogs. Though there doesn't appear to be any problem with the green tree frog population around here. The heavy rain tonight brought them out in the hundreds, there must be 3 dozen of them on my sliding glass door right now!

All that aside, I think I identified the toads as the common southern toad (bufo terrestris). They excrete a mucus that is listed as being irritating but NOT toxic. So it appears that my dogs aren't in any danger it still doesn't save them from being a pair of idiots! Next time I see one I'll make sure that is what they are.

Old 06-02-2013, 05:18 AM

4,586 posts, read 4,619,913 times
I get that, however this time it was a toad, next time it could be an alligator and then you'd be like: "I can't find my dog"; which is pretty popular here. If "they decide"? I don't think "they(the dogs) should decide this Ryan because like the poster said these stupid frogs can be poisonous...are you done with this dog? might as well give it for adoption. I fully disagree with those who leave pets outside in these summer months. (cats, dogs, rabbits, etc). There are several types of snakes that can also sneak out from these preserves, and who are also poisonous. I would never let a pet outside unsupervised because we have kids too so I don't feel like having a pet bitten by something and then be around my kids! I think you're playing with fire. MY opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_M View Post
If I see them go after one right away I pick the toad up and put it over the back fence (we back onto a conservation area). However it's pretty unrealistic to supervise them the whole time they are outside.... I'm not going to sit there and watch them for an hour+ if they decide to have a nap out there.

???? ummmm...... sorry to hear about your neighbors barking dogs << These dogs will eventually die from this practice. It is too hot outside right now for them to be left out there for hours and hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay