Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 06:45 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,895,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiltznucs View Post
?.......the effect of FL's lack of a State income tax is overstated. Those dollars are simply collected at the pump, toll roads, sales taxes, high ulitility cost and insurance payments.
Not necessarily. It really depends on where one is moving from. It's different from different regions. We are paying similar real estate taxes, similar housing prices (but with a huge upgrade in location and neighborhood, plus pool), we now pay much less in gasoline at the pump and actually slightly less in sales tax. We pay a little more (in total dollars) for auto/home insurance, but save a boatload....no, make that shipload of money not paying state income tax. Food is the same for us. Don't need toll roads for us, as we work, live and play in the same general area in the burbs. And the tax dollars we do pay are used much more wisely and it shows.

Overall we came out so far ahead, which allows us to enjoy the paradise around us.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:58 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,447,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
Not necessarily. It really depends on where one is moving from. It's different from different regions. We are paying similar real estate taxes, similar housing prices (but with a huge upgrade in location and neighborhood, plus pool), we now pay much less in gasoline at the pump and actually slightly less in sales tax. We pay a little more (in total dollars) for auto/home insurance, but save a boatload....no, make that shipload of money not paying state income tax. Food is the same for us. Don't need toll roads for us, as we work, live and play in the same general area in the burbs. And the tax dollars we do pay are used much more wisely and it shows.

Overall we came out so far ahead, which allows us to enjoy the paradise around us.
I was thinking the same thing - MN actually has one of the highest state taxes in the US - so I'd be saving a nice chunk of money. Also, after being in Tampa, we never really used any toll roads. I know this isn't true for all of FL, but I could easily get around on the day-to-day without using them. And gas was nearly $0.50 cheaper when I was down there last month compared to up north.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:53 AM

265 posts, read 974,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post

Dont get me wrong I like Tampa. But as a transplant from GA I'll simply say that the housing prices are not necessarily similar, fuel prices are higher, insurance cost is markedly higher and by the time you factor in that State taxes are deducted from your income when filing your Federal return the net difference has been a complete wash for me. But again, I understand experiences will vary depending on your point of origin.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:58 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,618,809 times
Quote:
Dont get me wrong I like Tampa. But as a transplant from GA I'll simply say that the housing prices are not necessarily similar, fuel prices are higher, insurance cost is markedly higher and by the time you factor in that State taxes are deducted from your income when filing your Federal return the net difference has been a complete wash for me. But again, I understand experiences will vary depending on your point of origin.

Can't rep you enough! Florida may not have state income tax but food, insurance, gas is more expensive then a lot of other states...

Great advice about job market as well

Old 06-04-2013, 08:42 AM

Could we get this thread back on track? I'm looking for opinions from people who currently hold jobs in the healthcare field about their employer.

I have already evaluated financial concerns and wouldn't be looking at Tampa if it were a bad choice. You couldn't pay me to live in GA.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:55 AM

265 posts, read 974,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swmrbird View Post
Could we get this thread back on track? I'm looking for opinions from people who currently hold jobs in the healthcare field about their employer.
I'm sorry, I thought you realized by now that no rational person that values their job would give you anything other than a rave review of their employer on a public internet forum. This may explain the lack of responses as there are several healthcare workers on the forum and few seem to be piping in.

Best of luck to you...

Old 06-04-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry, I thought you realized by now that no rational person that values their job would give you anything other than a rave review of their employer on a public internet forum. This may explain the lack of responses as there are several healthcare workers on the forum and few seem to be piping in.

Best of luck to you...
Anonymity is a great thing. So are direct messages. But you personally make me not want to work in healthcare in Tampa, so thanks!

Old 06-04-2013, 09:23 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,420,229 times
Quote:
Unfortunately there's no reliable way to measure quality of work, environment and coworkers without jumping in face first.

All facilities vary but it may be helpful to look at the potential employers tax status. Are they for profit? Not for profit? A non profit? The reason this is important is that for profit hospitals generally operate leaner than their counterparts. This translates into lower staffing levels per occupied bed and in principle more laborious conditions for their employees. This isn't to say that for profits are bad but it gives you an idea where their priorities are and how their decisions get tempered in the C suite.

Cost of living is always a consideration, I will simply say that my experience is that most cost of living measures are inaccurate and that the effect of FL's lack of a State income tax is overstated. Those dollars are simply collected at the pump, toll roads, sales taxes, high ulitility cost and insurance payments.
This is valuable insight - former RN here, but never even realized this situation about staffing. One of the things that caused me to leave the field as poor staffing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: