Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 06:46 PM

591 posts, read 814,909 times

Advertisements

Tampa's a small city? That's news to me! LOL.

Clearly, the writer of this article has never been to Providence, RI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 07:04 PM

35,357 posts, read 20,722,137 times
yep town is right... but I do think it is trying to expand and grow up and be a bonafide CITY

Old 06-10-2013, 01:03 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,845,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzcrandall View Post
Don't look at just the size of the city. Look at the size of the Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA). Jacksonville is the largest city in Florida, but it's the 4th largest MSA.

List of Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
They weren't talking about Pinellas, Sarasota, or Polk Counties, they weren't even talking about Hillsborough County. They were talking about the city of Tampa. I understand MSA's very well, but that's not what the article was speaking about. It was about Tampa (itself) being a small city, which it is.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:47 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,579,907 times

.....and when you come back from Miami it looks even smaller than small.

So now bad areas of town are called "culturally eclectic & hippy"? Hmmm Interesting. WOW...Ok!
Quote:
in the Cuban-influenced Ybor City, just northeast of the city center, the west coast's hippest and most culturally eclectic quarter.
Now that was funny joke. "Financially secure community"? More than half of the "City of Tampa" is low income/welfare folks, so if "financial security" refers to the fact that they are "securely receiving benefits" then sure we can call it that, but otherwise this guy is living on a cloud somewhere. I hate it when people who don't live here talk about Tampa. These people are looney's!
Quote:
Today, little seems to stand in the way of Tampa's continued emergence as a forward-thinking and financially secure community.

Old 06-10-2013, 05:02 AM

8,488 posts, read 20,553,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Now that was funny joke. "Financially secure community"? More than half of the "City of Tampa" is low income/welfare folks, so if "financial security" refers to the fact that they are "securely receiving benefits" then sure we can call it that, but otherwise this guy is living on a cloud somewhere. I hate it when people who don't live here talk about Tampa. These people are looney's!
You know what is even worse than people that don't live here talking about Tampa is?
People that do live here yet still spew wildly inaccurate ****e.
And before you try to turn this into me saying Tampa is great financially, no, I understand it has some problems with the foreclosures and such but your post is not even close to being factual.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:02 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,160,666 times
I went to IKEA yesterday and drove from Pinellas to Gandy, then Bayshore, Channelside to IKEA(nice scenic drive for the most part). Having lived in NYC (late 80's and 90's - blah), to me Tampa does not look small; it looks rather sprawling, buildings are spaced out , like everywhere here, as opposed to many cities up North. Downtown can use a few more buildings, but it's pretty decent for the most part. Not sure about the negativity with downtown but to me it doesn't look bad or small. Btw, the Selmon Expwy Connector is coming along pretty nice.

I think northerners have a skewed perception about Tampa/Tampa Bay and want the area to look less than what it is (inferiority complex for what they seem to lack, i.e. weather/a more relaxed lifestyle?)

Old 06-10-2013, 11:41 AM

861 posts, read 1,449,437 times
So Yahoo thinks Tampa is a small town, boo hoo. Deal with it.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:46 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,234,143 times
I like the medium-sidedness or smallness of the area. There's nowhere the sprawl that the JAX area has. I spent a week in JAX last month and the traffic was miserable, imo.

I really enjoy our area. The drive I make weekly over the Skyway Bridge has become fun (I used to be phobic of that bridge). The sights of people fishing, sailing, and windsurfing is really awesome, imo.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:52 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,591,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
I went to IKEA yesterday and drove from Pinellas to Gandy, then Bayshore, Channelside to IKEA(nice scenic drive for the most part). Having lived in NYC (late 80's and 90's - blah), to me Tampa does not look small; it looks rather sprawling, buildings are spaced out , like everywhere here, as opposed to many cities up North. Downtown can use a few more buildings, but it's pretty decent for the most part. Not sure about the negativity with downtown but to me it doesn't look bad or small. Btw, the Selmon Expwy Connector is coming along pretty nice.

I think northerners have a skewed perception about Tampa/Tampa Bay and want the area to look less than what it is (inferiority complex for what they seem to lack, i.e. weather/a more relaxed lifestyle?)

I've lived in lots of different places, including Detroit and NYC and it doesn't seem small to me, either. I suppose that has a lot to with Tampa running right into Pinellas with St. Pete. I always consider the entire metro area, rather than just what is found within one city limit or the other. It seems odd to me to think of it any other way, but apparently there's some sort of status that goes along with having the most people within the city limits?

Old 06-10-2013, 01:48 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,579,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post

The fact that is "sprawled" doesn't equal "big town".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay