Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2013, 05:20 PM

768 posts, read 859,124 times

Advertisements

Have friends who have moved to this area into Sugarmill Woods. We recently visited them and have our own opinion of the area. This could be the wrong opinion and I am just wondering about those who live there or who have knowledge of the area, if this part of Florida really does have low humidity...really does escape all bad weather, tornadoes, hurricanes, etc. It seems that the greenbelts in this area offer privacy not seen in other areas, yet the prices seem very reasonable. Just looking for an unbiased opinion of an area with which I am unfamiliar. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 05:37 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,241,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKrause1 View Post
Have friends who have moved to this area into Sugarmill Woods. We recently visited them and have our own opinion of the area. This could be the wrong opinion and I am just wondering about those who live there or who have knowledge of the area, if this part of Florida really does have low humidity...really does escape all bad weather, tornadoes, hurricanes, etc. It seems that the greenbelts in this area offer privacy not seen in other areas, yet the prices seem very reasonable. Just looking for an unbiased opinion of an area with which I am unfamiliar. Thank you.
The weather sucks just as bad as most of the state does. Just as hot and humid with insane dewpoints when the area is in a reverse west wind flow. This is during the summer months. Winters are fine but very dry.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:44 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,898,341 times
Quote:
To me, the weather here is excellent. Warm with humidity & weather events for half the year and a change of seasons giving a nice stretch of dry sunny weather. I can nitpick how cold it can get at times or how delayed it was this year getting to some awesome summertime like weather, but overall it is excellent. Those who do not like the warmth and humidity as much as me may not like a few months of the year. The area you are talking about will probably only show a big difference in how cold it will get at times in winter.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:09 PM

385 posts, read 1,112,728 times
The weather in Homosassa is going to be slightly colder than Tampa, which is to say it is pretty warm. I don't think you're escaping the humidity there (or anywhere in FL)... but tornadoes are not common anywhere in Florida and when they do touch down they usually don't last... Hurricanes are a possibility there but are not especially common in that part of Florida.

Old 06-16-2013, 02:51 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,246,180 times
I dont think the humidity will be much different in Sugarmill than anywhere else. I did an awful lot of work in that area when i lived down there. The greenbelt aspect that you mentioned is a real plus. In my opinion it is well worth thr drive up the Parkway. Its like a whole different world than just ten miles south of there.

Old 06-16-2013, 03:21 PM

338 posts, read 1,012,200 times
Quote:
We lived in Citrus County for 2 and 1/2 yrs. we looked into SMW but landed up in Pine Ridge Estates. Compared to the Pinellas County area ( lived there over 20 yrs) it is cooler in the winter but in my opinion not a noticeable difference in the summer months. We had storms in Citrus some damaging just like other parts of the state. Low lying areas flooded regularly.
I personally liked the country like atmosphere of Citrus. It is not beach oriented like Pinellas and Sarasota counties. People we met were very friendly . I would recommend SMW , the lot sizes are decent,the green belts do add privacy. The trees do help keep your property feeling a little cooler in the summer but don't expect too much .

Last edited by debvic; 06-16-2013 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 06-23-2013, 01:00 PM

768 posts, read 859,124 times
Thank you all so much for your replies. We did enjoy our visit with our friends and have come to the conclusion that the weather is as you all have said. We feel, however, that we are more "beach people" than we might have admitted to originally. Something to think about in our quest. There are no "perfect spots"..

Old 12-01-2013, 03:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,730 times
Default Sugarmill woods

Quote:

Hi

I can't understand why anyone would dislike the weather in Central FL. they should try living in NH during the winter.

Anyway, SMW is a very nice and comfortable place to live. Quiet, but certainly a growth oriented area. Old FL flavor. Humidity is still high in July and Aug, but so isn't the deep south from Philly on down. Its the price you have to pay. I'll take a 2-3 hot and humid months vs 5-6 bitter cold and snow/ice moths any day.

If you are looking for a home to rent for a few months, let me know as my house is vacant most of the time,

Old 12-02-2013, 02:26 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Thank you all so much for your replies. We did enjoy our visit with our friends and have come to the conclusion that the weather is as you all have said. We feel, however, that we are more "beach people" than we might have admitted to originally. Something to think about in our quest. There are no "perfect spots"..
If beaches are part of the relocation the nearest beach of any significance from Homossassa would be down around Clearwater.
Before making the big relocation be very aware of your tolerances for heat and humidity,while some really like 8+ months of temps and humidity levels of around 90 others find it akin to living in a sauna bath
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay