Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 01:35 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,594,567 times

Advertisements

I have Amazon Prime, not that Amazon is always the best deal, I have found stuff locally for less even with tax. I use it for things I otherwise cannot find locally. Even with with shipping, the tax they tack on for the things I will buy in the future won't bother me too much considering the time, gas money and wild goose chases I can go on locally trying to find stuff.

Amazon Prime is still well worth it.....won't stop me from using them, but I really think Florida needs more companies to relocate and bring more high paying jobs, Amazon tends to use a lot of temps around the holidays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 05:24 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,935,934 times
Great. More low skill temp jobs for Tampa Bay.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:50 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
Did you even READ the article? Some of you are never satisfied with anything......

Old 06-16-2013, 06:51 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,898,341 times
Quote:
1) There are low skill jobs AND skilled jobs with this venture. Not sure why people only talk about one side.

2) If there were never low skill jobs, then where would low skill workers work? Would you prefer them to be sucking on the teet of welfare?

3) A job is better than no job, so how about we get any and all possible jobs?

Old 06-16-2013, 07:02 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
First of all why blame Scott? The tax laws are set in Washington DC, FFS.

Second, you are already supposed to be filing and paying a 6% USE TAX in Florida, like many other states for internet puchases, furniture in other states and more.

FL Dept Rev - Use Tax on Out-of-State Purchases

In May the Democrat Senate voted to tax you on ALL internet purchases regardless of geography. It has to get through the Republican House to go into effect.

Internet sales tax: What you'll pay, and when - CNN.com

Civics. Blame the right people.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:03 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,935,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Did you even READ the article? Some of you are never satisfied with anything......
I did. I am familiar with Amazon. Many of their employees are temp (no benefits or job security) and about 2/3 of the jobs will be low paying.

"Never satisfied with anything"? Perhaps I would be "satisfied" if I saw a real effort to keep and draw college grads to Tampa Bay. This is nothing more than all the call centers that operate in the area. They pay most of their employees $10 an hour and import executives woth higher salaries. Meanwhile, people that want to build a life here have no choice but to leave. I think having jobs is great, but if we continue to build Tampa Bay as a low wage bastion of call centers and warehouses, it will only serve to keep the local population economically low, while the retires and second homers in the area inflate the cost of living (but demand low paid service workers).

I see no reason to cheer.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:20 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaite View Post
By agreeing to the deal with Amazon, in effect, Gov Rick Scott has increased taxes on Floridians by as much as $800 million each year going forward. Granted not all $800 million is from Amazon but from all online purchases but you get the idea.

This is $800 million in Floridians pockets that would have remained in our pockets!!!

Linky
If you are not paying tax on your Amazon internet tangible personal property purchases NOW, you are a tax cheat.

FL Dept Rev - Use Tax on Out-of-State Purchases

Old 06-16-2013, 08:28 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,594,567 times
I hope that fulfillment center will be air conditioned, Amazon got a bad rap for overworking people in a non-A/C fulfillment center in PA and after which installed A/C in it and several others. Would be a necessity in Florida.

Fulfillment/Delivery - Amazon will install air conditioning in warehouses - Internet Retailer

Old 06-16-2013, 09:29 PM

84 posts, read 167,634 times
Quote:
I did. I am familiar with Amazon. Many of their employees are temp (no benefits or job security) and about 2/3 of the jobs will be low paying.

"Never satisfied with anything"? Perhaps I would be "satisfied" if I saw a real effort to keep and draw college grads to Tampa Bay. This is nothing more than all the call centers that operate in the area. They pay most of their employees $10 an hour and import executives woth higher salaries. Meanwhile, people that want to build a life here have no choice but to leave. I think having jobs is great, but if we continue to build Tampa Bay as a low wage bastion of call centers and warehouses, it will only serve to keep the local population economically low, while the retires and second homers in the area inflate the cost of living (but demand low paid service workers).

I see no reason to cheer.
Just FYI, the jobless rate for college grads is pretty high -- well above the national average, IIRC. Florida actually has a lower than average unemployment rate overall, which is actually surprising and incredible considering the fact that FL had one of the highest unemployment rates during the recession.

Florida (and Tampa in general) could benefit from any type of jobs at least to keep people in the workforce. Not all of the jobs are going to pay above 50k, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

In a utopian Tampa everybody would be college educated and Tampa would be the hub of FL, but that's not going to happen. It just won't, period. I think you are being way too harsh saying "people who want to build a life have to leave". That's not the case for everybody. It sounds to me like you have a gripe with the way things are here and Amazon is just your whipping boy.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:43 PM

35,690 posts, read 21,045,148 times
I have never lived in a town that was SO negative about 'growth" or building, expanding,,,ever!! and I have lived in alot of places. I really do NOT get the people here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: