Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2013, 09:00 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,319,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT97 View Post
When you buy things you can't afford and pay back your credit score takes a nose dive.
Try to keep up.
And how do you know the credit scores of all those people in their 20's and 30's in the ATL area???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 09:12 PM

485 posts, read 1,007,725 times
Wikipedia is written and edited by the masses and therefore unreliable.

The Merriam Webster Collegiate Dictionary defines "exurb" as:

: a region or settlement that lies outside a city and usually beyond its suburbs and that often is inhabited chiefly by well-to-do families

Sounds just like Alpharetta to me. The center of Alpharetta is 25 miles from the center of Atlanta. I call that "beyond the suburbs". The suburbs of Atlanta would include Marietta, Sandy Springs, Roswell, etc.

In addition, obviously you would have to be a FOOL to commute from Alpharetta to Atlanta for a job on a daily basis and sit through all that gridlock. I was referring to the traffic WITHIN Alpharetta itself, which has seen overwhelming explosive growth in the past 5-10 years. Traffic WITHIN Alpharetta is horrendous, never mind traffic from Alpharetta to Atlanta (the 400). This happens in every exurb in America. The county and city governments issue thousands of building permits for all of those McMansion subdivisions without investing in an ounce of road infrastructure. Build it and they will fill it.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:22 PM

84 posts, read 166,774 times
Are we really arguing over the definition of a word here? Who cares lol.

Alpharetta is not in the perimeter so yes, is is probably massively annoying to drive from there to the city every morning. It's already like half an hour out of the city, so I can only imagine how awful that drive is with traffic.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:51 PM

116 posts, read 225,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
And how do you know the credit scores of all those people in their 20's and 30's in the ATL area???
I started selling cars, and had access to everyone's credit report, and got to listen to their stories about how they were going to make it: most of them were living on credit (which was plentiful around '02-07), or on their parents' money. The ones who were actually working were, indeed, usually waiters, waitresses, receptionists, personal trainers, bartenders, struggling "real estate moguls" or working on their debut album... the lucky ones were assistants to successful entertainment biz types, and they made barely above minimum wage to be someone's glorified beer *****.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:05 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,595,551 times
Quote:
I started selling cars, and had access to everyone's credit report, and got to listen to their stories about how they were going to make it: most of them were living on credit (which was plentiful around '02-07), or on their parents' money. The ones who were actually working were, indeed, usually waiters, waitresses, receptionists, personal trainers, bartenders, struggling "real estate moguls" or working on their debut album... the lucky ones were assistants to successful entertainment biz types, and they made barely above minimum wage to be someone's glorified beer *****.
You pretty much just described Tampa, except there are fewer jobs that pay a decent wage. Service jobs and call centers are pretty much the backbone of Tampa's job market.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:18 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,833,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
Service jobs and call centers are pretty much the backbone of Tampa's job market.
Yet another false claim, easily dispelled by a few clicks of the mouse.

Tampa Bay's 10 Largest Public Companies | Tampa Bay Times

http://www.city-data.com/us-cities/T...a-Economy.html

Tampa Port Authority Home

Old 06-25-2013, 09:43 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,595,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
That is pretty lame for a metro of this size.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:50 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,833,620 times
Quote:
That is pretty lame for a metro of this size.
Well that's not all of it, but plenty to show what you posted was factually incorrect.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:47 PM

591 posts, read 814,909 times
Quote:
Good post! And good overall thread. A bit of mis-information though.

I'm so happy I found this thread, I've read the first 3 pages and a/f this post I"ll read the last 3 pages.

I've lived in Atl now for 12 years. I'm 36/m single and coincidentally have been investigating moving to Tampa for the last year.

I've picked the brain of 2 friends who currently live in Tampa on a variety of info.

I live in the Dunwoody, Sandy Springs areas and visit Buckhead weekly. Haven't been downtown/mid-town in several years.
A few things to clear up for the OP and other members who've posted per Atlanta metro area living:

- very very few parks, this makes outdoor running, exercise, play very difficult. Many of the parks/fields are privately owned sports/youth leagues or are owned by churches and have strictly enforced trespassing rules & video surveillance or they keep the game locked. In fact several High Schools keep their gate locked or will run you off if you want to jog on the track.
This is a big deal to me since I like to exercise outdoors once a week or so.

- Traffic is severe....EVERYWHERE. In fact the best time to go anywhere is 9:30-10:30am or 1-3pm. Lunch crowd traffic is a nightmare as is rush hour.

- If you are on Roswell Rd in Sandy Springs or down town you have many thugs. I realize this is not PC but it is what it is and when you pull up at a gas station and it looks like they're filming a 50 cent video you won't feel safe. Many shootings happen here and SSPD is constantly making drug arrests along Roswell Rd at traffic stops. You will see thugs in handcuffs with a narcotics dog on the scene almost every week on Roswell Rd.

- If you are in an upper middle class suburb like Alphretta ( sp?) or Dunwoody you will have many male drivers with the "me first" attitude as a previous posted mentioned. They may not be felons but they will give you more attitude, the "finger" , cut you off and drive more recklessly than anywhere else.

- Buckhead is a mix of both of the above. Savage, ruthless drivers with nasty attitudes.

- The winters start in Nov and last until April. Winter is NASTY and LONG. it was 28 degrees here March 28th this year. Spring is very cold and if you have allergies be warned. You will suffer beyond belief. The Allergy problem Starts in Early April and lasts until late May.

- On a positive note there are a decent amount of attractive women here of all races. Nothing like L.A. but still not too bad.

- Buckhead is a very trendy, hip, posh place to live. It will never be out of style and will always have the "in-crowd" . It will always be the center of action.

- Other than L.A. , Atlanta has the greatest number of people who live beyond their means anywhere in the country. 26 y/o girls working as a receptionist will be in over their heads in debt driving a leased BMW with a designer hand bag. 31 y/o guys will be driving 47k Benz living in a one bedroom apartment with a 450 credit score. Wash rinse repeat.

- Remember this-- in Atlanta image is everything. You will be judged off 2 things: 1) how you look 2) how much money you appear to have.

Remember I have 12 years of "in the trenches" experience to back this up.

I really hope I'm able to pull the trigger and move to Tampa in Dec this year.

Now I"m off to read the rest of the thread.
Nail, hammer, bam.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:55 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,160,666 times
Quote:
You're right. I completely forgot about healthcare. Someone has to look out for the old folks who drive our service economy.
Please show some respect for the elderly. One day you will be in their shoes, or be driving the economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay