U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 07:26 PM

2,133 posts, read 2,057,074 times

Advertisements

Well, both are very similar. At least that is how people who have never been to Florida feel about it.

This is what one travel agent wrote in a memo to her supervisor:

Quote:

A man called, furious about a Florida package we did. I asked what was wrong with the vacation in Orlando. He said he was expecting an ocean-view room. I tried to explain that is not possible, since Orlando is in the middle of the state. He replied, "Don't lie to me. I looked on the map and Florida is a very thin state."

From travel jokes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 05:25 AM

2,786 posts, read 1,337,153 times
Orlando is landlocked. No breeze...full of tourists...we drove through it to go to Daytona and it was a mess.

That is because of the rampant building of Poinciana...Kissimmee...we avoid it like the plague. There is no Miami feel at all, its maybe Miami rejects feel...
Quote:
Seems to me that Orlando is more racially diverse than Tampa - the couple of times I've been there it seemed that Orlando had more of a Miami feel to it - more Hispanic population from what I saw.
Winter Park is nice, but it would be nicer if it was by the beach somewhere. LOL
Their crime seems rampant too...would never live there.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:35 AM

10,009 posts, read 9,855,396 times
The Miami feel was reference to population, not buildings. I've been in areas of Orlando where I was the minority (I'm white).

Last edited by Annie of Oldsmar; 06-21-2013 at 06:35 AM..

Old 06-21-2013, 06:29 AM

2,786 posts, read 1,337,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
The Miami feel was reference to population, not buildings. I've been in areas of Orlando where I was the minority (I'm white). Lots of Spanish-speaking -
I got that; hence my comment; Orlando is never going to look like Miami building wise.
I have seen the Orlando population and it is awful; no manners, loud, obnoxious, rude, cut in line at Publix. I've seen some of that here too by CP mall; loud, obnoxious, rude, bumping into people not say "excuse me/sorry" etc.

Last edited by Keeper; 06-21-2013 at 06:36 AM.. Reason: race bashing

Old 06-21-2013, 07:47 AM

262 posts, read 210,119 times
Tampa Bay is a much larger metro area than Orlando. The population of St. Petersburg alone is larger than Orlando's. I don't think this allows anyone to fairly compare the two. They are on 2 different tiers.

That being said I like being a coastal city instead of landlocked. The gulf breeze is sure nice, Orlando gets even more muggy than here. I like the options of having 3 big cities to experience... mixing it up between Tampa, St. Pete, and Clearwater is better than just having Orlando. Tampa Bay has a lot more history than Orlando which translates to more culture (even though neither city has a lot of it). 3 Sports teams is better than 1, doesn't hurt that my 3 favorite sports are here. The women seem to be better looking here (no offense Orlando you have beautiful women too). The toll roads are ridiculous in Orlando.

Now what I do like about Orlando... dining is better, downtown is better than Tampa's though I'd say I like St. Pete's better. Orlando is a much newer city, I think its cleaner, more money in Orlando, The Golf is about equal to me, I could do without the theme parks but I do like the shopping and dining they bring with them. All the lakes are pretty cool as I enjoy wake skating, though Tampa Bay has a fair share of lakes. Traffic isn't as bad in Orlando, and the people seem to be more courteous which I believe has a lot to do with there being so many people in the service industry there.

I like both cities a lot, but I think it would be more fair to compare Orlando to Jacksonville.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:59 AM

23 posts, read 10,485 times
Orlando is absolutely awful....no comparison to me.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyar View Post
Orlando is absolutely awful....no comparison to me.
any particular reason why?

Old 06-21-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
I got that; hence my comment; Orlando is never going to look like Miami building wise.
I have seen the Orlando population and it is awful; no manners, loud, obnoxious, rude, cut in line at Publix. I've seen some of that here too by CP mall; loud, obnoxious, rude, bumping into people not say "excuse me/sorry" etc.
agree w/ that - Orlando drivers are likewise rude

Old 06-21-2013, 10:13 AM

3,219 posts, read 3,128,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
I would agree...plus being around all the tourists-ALL the time...and seeing mouse ears everywhere...it would drive me batty. I love going there for a weekend but that's about it.
Lots of crazy opinions being thrown around in here that are seriously questionable, but this one made me laugh so hard.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
I would agree...plus being around all the tourists-ALL the time...and seeing mouse ears everywhere...it would drive me batty. I love going there for a weekend but that's about it.
stay away from International Drive, if that's the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay