U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 03:09 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,107,165 times

Advertisements

Who's going?

St. Pete Pride
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 04:11 PM

8,706 posts, read 8,778,625 times
I got excited for a minute, as I love DT St Pete and would enjoying being outside there over the weekend. But then I saw what the parade was about and just can't get into groups trying to separate and highlight themselves over private matters. I thought is was a parade about the pride of the city of St. Pete. Before anyone jumps on me here, no one can be any more supportive than I am, but I just have always felt that grandstanding was not a good thing to do.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:23 PM

4,678 posts, read 8,491,428 times
I'd go, regardless of the message, it seems like it would be a lot of fun!

Old 06-25-2013, 04:27 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,128,668 times
It looks super fun, but I will be home catching up on work.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:21 PM

451 posts, read 813,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
But then I saw what the parade was about and just can't get into groups trying to separate and highlight themselves over private matters. I thought is was a parade about the pride of the city of St. Pete.
Feel free to insert your political opinion into the matter. It's not like it doesn't derail every other thread where you do it. Why not, you know, just keep it to yourself?

The reason minority groups organize and demonstrate is to show a cohesive voice and to challenge social norms that don't serve them or outright do them harm. It was such with the women's movement in the early 1900s, with racial minorities in the middle of the last century and it continues today with the LGBT culture that still has work left to do.

A show of unity and pride has marked every successful social movement. People probably didn't like it when women and racial minorities tried "to separate and highlight themselves" in their time.

Now, to answer the OP's question: my wife and I will absolutely be there to cheer on our gay brothers and sisters this weekend. And may God bless the country where anyone of any race, color or creed can demonstrate willful social harmony in a civil, open manner.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethinktank View Post
Feel free to insert your political opinion into the matter. It's not like it doesn't derail every other thread where you do it. Why not, you know, just keep it to yourself?

The reason minority groups organize and demonstrate is to show a cohesive voice and to challenge social norms that don't serve them or outright do them harm. It was such with the women's movement in the early 1900s, with racial minorities in the middle of the last century and it continues today with the LGBT culture that still has work left to do.

A show of unity and pride has marked every successful social movement. People probably didn't like it when women and racial minorities tried "to separate and highlight themselves" in their time.

Now, to answer the OP's question: my wife and I will absolutely be there to cheer on our gay brothers and sisters this weekend. And may God bless the country where anyone of any race, color or creed can demonstrate willful social harmony in a civil, open manner.
There was ZERO politics in my post. Please feel free to look up my previous posts to see my position on things. You WILL be surprised.

My post was well within the topic. I stated I was excited about it from the thread title and would be interested in attending a parade, but then I read the link and found it was not a pride of St Pete parade, so I will not be attending a parade that does not interest me for the reasons mentioned......none of which are political.

K?

Old 06-25-2013, 07:52 PM

451 posts, read 813,220 times
Quote:
There was ZERO politics in my post.
You just shared your opinion about the right of assembly:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_assembly

And like every other time, you claim ignorance of sharing your political opinion.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethinktank View Post
You just shared your opinion about the right of assembly:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_assembly

And like every other time, you claim ignorance of sharing your political opinion.
Sorry, no politics involved. However, just for you.....I have put some of my political views in my status line. And one of them completely contradicts what you are claiming about me. Sorry buddy, but YOU are the only one trying to bring politics into it.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:12 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,779,000 times
Quote:
Sorry, no politics involved. However, just for you.....I have put some of my political views in my status line. And one of them completely contradicts what you are claiming about me. Sorry buddy, but YOU are the only one trying to bring politics into it.
What? LOL

You put some nonsense in your status line and suddenly you're a different person.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
What? LOL

You put some nonsense in your status line and suddenly you're a different person.
Nope. Not nonsense and that is who I am......which dispells the claims someone is making about me....regarding why I am not going to attend the parade. I have posted in other threads in the politics forum many of my beliefs. They are varied and wide ranging and do not fit nice and neatly into the box you may want them to fit into. Again, the OP asked if you would have any interest in going.....actually the OP has had a couple of posts on and off and varied within this thread so it is hard to keep with what he is asking and saying.....and I posted that I want to go to a parade there, just not this one once I found out what the parade is for......even though my status line are my true feelings.

Anyhow, I am out on this thread as the original question and follow-up post from the OP have changed and been deleted, so continuing to respond to the leftover pettiness is pointless.

Have a good night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or