Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 04:20 PM

1,139 posts, read 3,466,771 times

Advertisements

On the advise of our doctor, my spouse had to get an Ultrasound done and guess what the bill is for a 15 min check-up is

FL Hospital - Tampa charged the insurance company $1620 and our insurance covered $1210 and we are left to pay $410 which is outrageous.

Does anyone have the same experience with FL Hospital? I believe they recently bought University Community Hospital(UCH) which was a non-profit and converted it to for-profit and now I know why!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 04:28 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,448,690 times
To be fair, you might want to be more upset with your insurance company. They decide how much they will cover for services. It seems like you paid about 25% of the cost - which is actually pretty standard for insurance. You cover 20-30% of the cost until you meet your deductible and then your insurance will cover more/all.

Anytime there is a 'procedure' completed it always costs more. For a 15 min checkup with my dermatologist it costs about $300 before insurance covers part of it. Is any DRs time worth $1200/hr? I'm not convinced. This is healthcare in America, not just FL.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:30 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,899,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaite View Post
On the advise of our doctor, my spouse had to get an Ultrasound done and guess what the bill is for a 15 min check-up is

FL Hospital - Tampa charged the insurance company $1620 and our insurance covered $1210 and we are left to pay $410 which is outrageous.

Does anyone have the same experience with FL Hospital? I believe they recently bought University Community Hospital(UCH) which was a non-profit and converted it to for-profit and now I know why!
Seems pretty routine in most places, not just Florida. I have a universal plan to fix that, but can't go into it here.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:31 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,805,690 times
FL Hospital chain is very well known for it.... And they are fast of reporting your outstanding bills to medical collectors. What I hate more than anything else about FL hospital, we never got the estimated cost for their services correct, somehow total was always much higher...

Old 06-25-2013, 06:36 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,404 times
You have the right to ask how much the service cost in advance and may be decide to go get in another facility next time. It seems your insurance is also part of the reason. Your premium may not be high enough. That's why your portion of the bill is high.

I was shocked to learn during last year's tax return (employers in fact started to report to IRS the premium they pay to their workers' health insurance), my family plan cost my employer 20K/year and that's in addition to the 5K/year I paid. So, the cost of family insurance was 25K/year . But the nice thing is this kind of bills are cover 100% for us . In fact, because of the new health care law enacted, we got a refund of part of our premium back from the insurance company .

Last edited by Pragmaticus; 06-25-2013 at 06:54 PM..

Old 06-25-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
In fact, because of the new health care law enacted, we got a refund of part of our premium back from the insurance company .
Mine was dropped because of it. I lost my preferred insurance, as it was considered "cadillac". I loved the plan I had. So now I am on my wife's, since we moved here.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:09 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,008,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
Mine was dropped because of it. I lost my preferred insurance, as it was considered "cadillac". I loved the plan I had. So now I am on my wife's, since we moved here.
It's something with the way the companies report the expense, my wife's plan is the same or better than what mine used to be and my company gave us the same "cadillac plan" excuse for cutting back on benefits.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
It's something with the way the companies report the expense, my wife's plan is the same or better than what mine used to be and my company gave us the same "cadillac plan" excuse for cutting back on benefits.
It was simple. Because our plan was so good....meaning covering things well, such as what the OP is asking about....the company would be charged a surcharge for providing it. Pure and absolute stupidity.

Last edited by The Villages Guy; 06-25-2013 at 07:35 PM..

Old 06-25-2013, 07:29 PM

35,692 posts, read 21,049,622 times
I always call n make sure 1- provider is is in our list-- and basic costs for the procedure both from the DR, Hospt. and INS. - I still have cadillac ins, so far so good.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:33 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,641,705 times
Guess if the OP had actually taken it upon herself to call around to find out the costs she may have found it less expensive elsewhere, of course she didn't so it is the hospitals fault.
It is called personal responsibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay