Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2013, 03:20 PM

11 posts, read 14,717 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'll be coming down next week to scope out some areas for a job relocation. I figured it would be much better to work with an agent to help setup some showings than it would be to do an internet/drive around search on my own.

I would be renting. Some of the areas I've heard/seen on this site and others are:

St Pete: focusing on downtown......Old NE specifically, and also near the water.

Tampa: south tampa....Hyde Park in particular

If anyone can recommend a specific agent or agency that would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 05:06 PM

184 posts, read 328,579 times
Sorry, I wasnt aware we couldnt post email links so my first post was deleted. My husband and I just moved here last week from NC. We came down 2 weeks ago to secure a rental. What was great about her was she is an independent realtor and able to show us any house regardless who it was listed with. We emailed her about 20 houses we were interested in and she narrowed it down to the ones that were still available. One afternoon we went from one house to another and looked at them all. Being we were in a hurry to get a house so we could go back to NC pack our stuff and get down here so my husband could start his new job I couldnt have asked for a better realtor. She was amazing. We were looking on the North side of Tampa so Im not sure how far out she goes but if she is available I highly recommend her. Good Luck!!

Last edited by Sunscape; 07-03-2013 at 04:59 PM..

Old 07-02-2013, 07:59 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstate44 View Post
Hi all,

I'll be coming down next week to scope out some areas for a job relocation. I figured it would be much better to work with an agent to help setup some showings than it would be to do an internet/drive around search on my own.

I would be renting. Some of the areas I've heard/seen on this site and others are:

St Pete: focusing on downtown......Old NE specifically, and also near the water.

Tampa: south tampa....Hyde Park in particular

If anyone can recommend a specific agent or agency that would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!
Keep in mind that most agents are not able to help tenants with rentals unless they are high end rentals just because the seller is paying the listing agent and the listing agent is offering a small fee to the agent who will show it...that can be $50 or in some cases up to an average of $300 and just in a few high end properties a little bit more...

If an agent has to drive for hours then it usually means the agent has lost money on gas and not made a dime since they have to share the commission with their office and the remainder will be cut back to them...

Only agents that are new and have no clients will do that or if they know that they will be able to help with getting the client to buy a home later or helping due to the client being a friend or if the client is selling their home as a short sale and after the sale the client needs a rental.

It is not that agents don't want to do it but it comes down to what will they make in the end.

In NY for example the client who needs the rental will pay the agent...if that was over here I can assure you that many more agents will be able to help out...

I'm posting this to provide some inside what the reason behind this is and it is for sure not that they are rude or arrogant...

Old 07-03-2013, 09:33 AM

1,237 posts, read 3,448,690 times
Don't knock the internet search...it can be more helpful than you think. What other posters have said is true - you will be hard pressed to find a realtor for rental purposes. DM if you'd like some of the websites I used.

As long as you know your budget, amenities you want, areas you want, ect you can do it. One nice thing I noticed in my search is that a lot of professionally owned complexes will do leases as few as 7 months without paying an extra premium for renting less than 12 months. Yea it would suck to move twice, but if you can find something online/driving around that you can live with for 7 months, that gives you plenty of time to actually live here and find something more permanent.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:01 AM

11 posts, read 14,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Keep in mind that most agents are not able to help tenants with rentals unless they are high end rentals just because the seller is paying the listing agent and the listing agent is offering a small fee to the agent who will show it...that can be $50 or in some cases up to an average of $300 and just in a few high end properties a little bit more...

If an agent has to drive for hours then it usually means the agent has lost money on gas and not made a dime since they have to share the commission with their office and the remainder will be cut back to them...

Only agents that are new and have no clients will do that or if they know that they will be able to help with getting the client to buy a home later or helping due to the client being a friend or if the client is selling their home as a short sale and after the sale the client needs a rental.

It is not that agents don't want to do it but it comes down to what will they make in the end.

In NY for example the client who needs the rental will pay the agent...if that was over here I can assure you that many more agents will be able to help out...

I'm posting this to provide some inside what the reason behind this is and it is for sure not that they are rude or arrogant...
No worries, thanks for the response...when you put it in those terms it makes perfect sense. I guess I was coming from my own experiences. Where I live in NY it's very popular for renters to use agents because many of the landlords/owners find they want a thorough screening process done, but don't have the time/energy to pull the credit reports, background checks, etc. So many (not all) of the good properties are all through agent listings. Also, it's the norm up here (not saying it's the law...just the norm) that the usual fee is a month's rent and is paid by the landlord. So a $1200-$1700/month rent is a pretty good fee; but it doesn't sound like that's the case in your area.

But overall, thanks for the feedback...it's appreciated!

Old 07-03-2013, 12:10 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstate44 View Post
No worries, thanks for the response...when you put it in those terms it makes perfect sense. I guess I was coming from my own experiences. Where I live in NY it's very popular for renters to use agents because many of the landlords/owners find they want a thorough screening process done, but don't have the time/energy to pull the credit reports, background checks, etc. So many (not all) of the good properties are all through agent listings. Also, it's the norm up here (not saying it's the law...just the norm) that the usual fee is a month's rent and is paid by the landlord. So a $1200-$1700/month rent is a pretty good fee; but it doesn't sound like that's the case in your area.

But overall, thanks for the feedback...it's appreciated!
Over here any reputable Landlord will have a background check performed either by the listing agent and/or property management company. We do both so we deal a lot with rentals and background checks and never had so many not qualify as the last 2 weeks and all for lying on an application about prior arrests!

We are always very clear...is a person arrested or not and it is either "yes" or "no", but if you fill out "no" and it is "yes" we don't even look futher...automatic denial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay