Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 11:22 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,822,326 times

Advertisements

While I sit looking out the window at a downpour of rain (yes, I know it rains alot in FL but it's not the same...it's pretty down there...and warm, did I mention warm?) which is supposed to be two days straight, I'm dreaming of when I'll be down there.

I've noticed there are alot of beaches in the greater Tampa Bay area, so tell me, what is your favorite beach and why? For instance, does your beach offer relaxation, water sports, beach restaurant(s)/bar(s), great walking, beachcombing (shells and seaglass), etc..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 11:25 AM

861 posts, read 1,455,701 times
Fort DeSoto Beach is nice as is Honeymoon Island.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:57 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,299,617 times
There are less beaches on this coast that offer the amenities you're talking about. Like there are places across from the beach but not right on on most beaches...there are certain state or county parks where you take your own water sport/your own equipment.

Before you enter Honeymoon island there is a place that rents kayaks, and some other stuff.
Down towards Naples there are beaches with really nice seashells.
The seashells by HI are not as big...

Clearwater is very touristy, so there is a lot of that there.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFisher View Post
Fort DeSoto Beach is nice as is Honeymoon Island.
CountryFisher, what is it about those two beaches that you like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
There are less beaches on this coast that offer the amenities you're talking about. Like there are places across from the beach but not right on on most beaches...there are certain state or county parks where you take your own water sport/your own equipment.

Before you enter Honeymoon island there is a place that rents kayaks, and some other stuff.
Down towards Naples there are beaches with really nice seashells.
The seashells by HI are not as big...

Clearwater is very touristy, so there is a lot of that there.
As far as I'm concerned, *any* beach is worth going to so whether it has amenities or not, I'm interested in checking it out. I do like hearing from everyone who's down there already, each post usually offers up something different based on his or her taste.

Up here, I've gone to beaches you wouldn't want to swim in because it offers a beautiful view and I sit and read or bring some seafood takeout and sit watching the sun set. There's just so much you can do! At some point I'd like to own my own kayak but it's nice to know there are some areas you can rent. There is just so much to do at the beach!

Old 02-27-2013, 12:25 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,122,145 times
Sunset Beach - Specifically Caddy's Bar.. in the off season.... never during Spring Break.

Good food, good music, $5 parking, not too crowded, good beach.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Sunset Beach - Specifically Caddy's Bar.. in the off season.... never during Spring Break.

Good food, good music, $5 parking, not too crowded, good beach.
I just visited their site.....nice! I love places that are outdoors like that and I'm sure that is the norm down there. Their menu looks fun, too.

I read the story about how it started with the owner supposedly saying “Fish and beer alone make life good” “but what you need here is lot’s of Great Food & Great Drinks, and Music. Now that’s what makes life Great!”

Love it!

Old 02-27-2013, 03:36 PM

472 posts, read 547,500 times
I like Ft Desoto as there's a stretch that has a really long sandbar where the kids hang out and collect shells. Then they can lazily float in the pool of water between the sandbar and the beach or get some waves off the sandbar. It's not so busy crowded that we'd have to keep such a close eye on them. I actually fell asleep in the water there off the sandbar as it was so relaxing. We went there twice last summer and spent all day there and it wasn't crowded, lots of parking. This pic I took was in mid July afternoon on a weekend and we practically have a good section to ourself.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:11 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,299,617 times
Well if I had to make a list, this is it:
#1.Fort Lauderdale
#2.Miami Beach
#3.Lido Beach
#4.Howard Park
#5.Honeymoon Island
#6.Clearwater/Sand Key Park

Old 02-27-2013, 05:28 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times
Since you are going to be living in Tampa I would recommend these beaches. I personally think that the beaches on the gulf coast are prettier than the east coast beaches. The sand is white and sugar fine where the beaches on the Atlantic don't have the white sand.

Honeymoon Island
Caladesi Island (my favorite but you have to take a ferry or have a boat to get there )
Redington Beach
Pass-A-Grill ( Go to The Hurricane for grouper sandwich)
I also like Fred Howard park but the beach isn't as nice as the others IMO
I also love Long Boat Key in Sarasota. Beautiful water and beach

Clearwater, St Pete and Treasure island beaches are nice but usually crowded on the weekends. I like Sloppy Joe's on Treasure island if you are looking for a place to go have a drink and listen to Jimmy Buffet type music.

Let's face it we all have our likes and dislikes, you check them all out and find the one for you

Old 02-28-2013, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiepoke View Post
I like Ft Desoto as there's a stretch that has a really long sandbar where the kids hang out and collect shells. Then they can lazily float in the pool of water between the sandbar and the beach or get some waves off the sandbar. It's not so busy crowded that we'd have to keep such a close eye on them. I actually fell asleep in the water there off the sandbar as it was so relaxing. We went there twice last summer and spent all day there and it wasn't crowded, lots of parking. This pic I took was in mid July afternoon on a weekend and we practically have a good section to ourself.
This sounds like absolute HEAVEN. Thanks for posting that picture too. That water looks gorgeous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Well if I had to make a list, this is it:
#1.Fort Lauderdale
#2.Miami Beach
#3.Lido Beach
#4.Howard Park
#5.Honeymoon Island
#6.Clearwater/Sand Key Park
I notice Honeymoon Island comes up alot. I saw it featured on some travel show recently and it looked beautiful. Algia, what is it about your list that make them stand out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Since you are going to be living in Tampa I would recommend these beaches. I personally think that the beaches on the gulf coast are prettier than the east coast beaches. The sand is white and sugar fine where the beaches on the Atlantic don't have the white sand.

Honeymoon Island
Caladesi Island (my favorite but you have to take a ferry or have a boat to get there )
Redington Beach
Pass-A-Grill ( Go to The Hurricane for grouper sandwich)
I also like Fred Howard park but the beach isn't as nice as the others IMO
I also love Long Boat Key in Sarasota. Beautiful water and beach

Clearwater, St Pete and Treasure island beaches are nice but usually crowded on the weekends. I like Sloppy Joe's on Treasure island if you are looking for a place to go have a drink and listen to Jimmy Buffet type music.

Let's face it we all have our likes and dislikes, you check them all out and find the one for you
The first beach I visited on the Gulf Coast side was at Alligator Point in northern FL, a gold mine for someone like me who collects shells. I then spent a weekend in Panama City Beach and Destin and finally got to experience what white, sugar fine sand and green-blue water is and I knew that I'd found my own little piece of heaven, lol. It looks like I will have my pick of beaches to check out once I'm down there.

And that's pretty cool there's a Sloppy Joe's, I do enjoy Jimmy Buffett music so that will be on my list for sure. Thanks for your list!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay