Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 11:40 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
This might be a bit off the main topic but is a comment about bugs in Florida. I lived there for six years, recently moving to Washington state for employment purposes. I never thought the bugs were that bad in Florida, but I see a lot of posts about them. Sitting here in all this gloom and rain, fog and blah, I'd give anything to be around those bugs in Florida again!

Want to post your address? I'm sure we could mail you some!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 05:02 AM

64 posts, read 233,532 times
I lived in the Portland/Vancouver area for 5 miserable years. Don't get me wrong, the "countryside" is beautiful, but the rain and drizzle, the gloom etc.. was just to much to mentally handle.

People in the NW don't tan, they rust!

Old 11-11-2007, 05:26 AM

363 posts, read 1,360,471 times
My sister lived in Bellevue/Sammamish for 20 years. Her children were constantly sick from the moldy schools and homes. She decided to come to Florida in 2005, settled in SW Florida and loves it. Her kids are much healthier, attitudes brighter. Yes, they get homesick when they visit Seattle, but sitting in the traffic trying to get off the plateau quickly made her realize that the snowbird traffic was not so bad after all! The $$ you pay to live on Lake Washington or Puget Sound, compared to how much (or little compared to Seattle) we pay to live on the Gulf. We are a much better deal and oh, the weather these days, it is just gorgeous!

Old 11-11-2007, 06:21 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,440,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Want to post your address? I'm sure we could mail you some!
Sure, I'll get right on that! As long as you post yours so I can send you some rain and fog, gloom and blah...lol

Old 11-11-2007, 06:45 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
The commute time in Tpa all depends on where you live and work. For the most part, it will be at least 30 mins or longer. Having visited Seattle a couple of times I will tell you the drivers are not nearly as polite in letting you merge on the interstate. There isn't any mass transit system in place so nearly everyone drives to work.

Old 11-11-2007, 12:49 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,440,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
The commute time in Tpa all depends on where you live and work. For the most part, it will be at least 30 mins or longer. Having visited Seattle a couple of times I will tell you the drivers are not nearly as polite in letting you merge on the interstate. There isn't any mass transit system in place so nearly everyone drives to work.
Yeah, I know about these drivers here, talk about aggressive! They don't even stop at stop signs, they just run them and come right out in front of you. Really surprises me when I see these commercials about Washington insurance rates going down. The transit system I will say is better than Tampa. I am fortunate enough now that I am able to work from home at least until the middle of December, but the way I get to work is take one bus to the train station, catch the train, then catch another bus to work. And do the same thing coming home. I have a 4 hour plus commute just to get to an 8 hour job and have to pay $160 to do it. It's like having a part-time job just getting to a full time job and not getting paid, but me paying for it. Argh!

Old 11-13-2007, 10:43 AM

198 posts, read 959,599 times
Moderator cut: advertising

As for the weather, in the greater spring hill/brooksville area, the night time temp in the winter can be significantly colder than the tampa/st pete area. This is due to radiational cooling and lack of warm water and the heat island effect. Pinellas county is always the warmest on winter nights to do all of the warm water around it. Tampa is warmer due to the heat island effect and some influenece from the warmer water.

The official weather station for brooksville is at the county airport which is a much more rural area with less concrete and there have been times when the temp difference between it and tampa airport is as much as 20+ degrees. Most mornings the difference is only about 10 degrees, but it does make it much more comfortable at night.

BTW, the coldest I have ever personally recorded was a low of ~12 degrees during the 1989 christmas freeze.....

Last edited by Keeper; 11-13-2007 at 05:05 PM..

Old 11-13-2007, 11:36 AM

713 posts, read 2,669,819 times
LOL The poor guy...well, if anything, we will def. help him find a house.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:39 AM

713 posts, read 2,669,819 times
LOL jafender, Bring friends! Lots of friends. You guys can blaze a trail and develop the area. There's loads of housing and opportunities. Nice people, good neighbors please apply. .

Old 11-13-2007, 05:08 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
As a reminder, posting house for sale in state/city forum is not allowed according to the Terms of Service,
You may post in the classified section of the forum if you are not a realtor
Realtors read the following
Real Estate Agents and other businesses will not advertise their services nor solicit business in their posts. Create a free business profile by going to Business Profile Addition and fill out your forum profile instead. Do not include links to your websites, MLS listings, etc. in your posts. Do not try to push the envelope by attempting to hide your intentions. Do not solicit business by PMs. Show your knowledge about the area and help people and you will get leads naturally. Real estate agents should join the usergroup for them here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/profi...editusergroups. It will set your user title and add an icon next to your name, so you will get free advertising with your posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay