Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 10:14 AM

6,594 posts, read 4,970,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
You know your thread made me curious and looked at some of the listing in my area and looked up how much these people paid for their house when they bought it. Most of them are listing a house they bought in 2005/2006. Any bell rings? And guess what most are asking a little higher or breaking even to the price they paid for it . Of course, they are asking. One needs to look at the sold price to really see what's going on. Talk about recovery if you buy-in a good neighborhood. So, from the little sample I pulled in my neck of woods, people are getting under the house they bought in the bubble.

When did we get back to the bubble price? I have no idea.
We just sold our house in Brandon that we been renting out, we bought in the end 04 and with all the depreciation write offs I probably came out on top. If it wasnt tied in with my divorce settlement i would have kept it for a couple more years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 01:23 PM

641 posts, read 1,016,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
How would you know people are living pay check to pay check?
lol 3/4s of all working Americans do, just pick three neighbors

Old 07-08-2013, 02:08 PM

693 posts, read 1,133,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl777 View Post
I would think median income is a good indicator. For example, in Spring Hill, the median household income is around 40K per year. This is pretty dead on.
When you state 'median household income' are you referencing all household income? 40K per year would be pretty tough to do if both adults are working. If both parents worked full time jobs that would be an average hourly wage of $9 per hour! Sort of low for an entire city...

Old 07-08-2013, 02:18 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,792,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavariantransplant View Post
When you state 'median household income' are you referencing all household income? 40K per year would be pretty tough to do if both adults are working. If both parents worked full time jobs that would be an average hourly wage of $9 per hour! Sort of low for an entire city...
Yes. Per capita income is typically what one person makes. Household refers to the total income coming in from all those who are working in a household. I know 40K is pretty low for a city. That's why we were wondering if the income reported from Spring Hill was taking into consideration all the retirees.

Honestly though … most families I know in Spring Hill were making 40K per year or less. Almost every family I know up there is on some sort of government assistance be it WIC, disability, Florida KidCare, or Medicaid.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:20 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,786,334 times
Quote:
I completely agree with this, but I think it is multi-faceted. Parents want their children in the best schools, so they move to an area that has quality schools. Because good schools typically are in wealthier areas, housing tends to be expensive. I don't begrudge these people for wanting the best education for their children - my goodness, it is so necessary in today's crazy economy! However, they could achieve the same goal (getting their child into an excellent school) by living with less. This may mean moving to a great area but living in an apartment or town home or a smaller home. Unfortunately, people DO get caught up in wanting to keep up with their neighbors in the community, and this traps them into something they cannot afford.

Thankfully, however, lenders are far more careful than they were before. Obtaining a mortgage now is not as easy as it once was. We just went through it last year. Although we have excellent credit, very little debt, and solid income, we still had a TON of hoops to jump through! It was a pain, but if it prevents another bubble from happening, I'm all for it.
The problem with my old town was they somehow prevented construction of any apartment complexes, I don't know if it was through zoning or what. All I know is there weren't any. If you wanted to live there, you bought a place because there were very few rentals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavariantransplant View Post
City Data's info page lists $40K as median household income for Spring Hill as of 2010. They list per capita at $21k. As I posted earlier, I suspect the retires with zero or minimal income are included which makes those numbers unrealistic.

Quote:
Yes. Per capita income is typically what one person makes. Household refers to the total income coming in from all those who are working in a household. I know 40K is pretty low for a city. That's why we were wondering if the income reported from Spring Hill was taking into consideration all the retirees.

Honestly though … most families I know in Spring Hill were making 40K per year or less. Almost every family I know up there is on some sort of government assistance be it WIC, disability, Florida KidCare, or Medicaid.
I don't know if most people here are that bad off. If those income numbers were actually valid, I that would mean I can support two households on my salary alone and am one of the wealthiest people in town, which I am sure I am not.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:52 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,227,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHborn View Post
Oh yes I want my next house to be my last house, barring something unexpected happening. Im also thinking about relocating to NH but Im being very indecisive at the moment, pros and cons in each area.
Take another look at N.H. You might be suprised. It's been a long time since you lived up here.We spent ten years down there in Aripeka, just outside of Spring Hill. Moved back to N.H. two years ago. Definatly a smart move and one of the best decisions i've ever made. Overall quality of life, natural beauty, job oppurtunities ect. Theres really no comparison between the two states. Only possible downfall could be property taxes. Some people think that there high. I think it depends on the town. I have a nice little cabin up in the mountains and my taxes are 1/2 of what i payed in Florida. Insurance is about 1/3.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:52 PM

552 posts, read 717,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
Take another look at N.H. You might be suprised. It's been a long time since you lived up here.We spent ten years down there in Aripeka, just outside of Spring Hill. Moved back to N.H. two years ago. Definatly a smart move and one of the best decisions i've ever made. Overall quality of life, natural beauty, job oppurtunities ect. Theres really no comparison between the two states. Only possible downfall could be property taxes. Some people think that there high. I think it depends on the town. I have a nice little cabin up in the mountains and my taxes are 1/2 of what i payed in Florida. Insurance is about 1/3.
Yeah I know what its like, I visit often. Frankly my biggest worries are driving in the snow and the cost of heating a house. That and my Florida native wife. She says she'd be all for it but you know how women are.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:08 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,227,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHborn View Post
Yeah I know what its like, I visit often. Frankly my biggest worries are driving in the snow and the cost of heating a house. That and my Florida native wife. She says she'd be all for it but you know how women are.
Good Luck

Old 07-08-2013, 10:38 PM

31 posts, read 55,154 times
Quote:

I guess HWTechGuy and I are the only rich people in Spring Hill. LOL! Retirees are also included in those numbers. So 40k is not an accurate number. I know a ton of people in SH that makes a minimum of $70,000+ each a year.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:49 PM

693 posts, read 1,133,667 times
Although I have no direct experience with the town of Spring Hill, a household income of 40k is really tough to do in todays job market. Both working adults would have to be making a little over minimum wage.

Maybe that number you see is their taxable income from the tax form when qualifying for scholarships, etc?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay