U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 08:13 PM

8,707 posts, read 8,754,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
I'm not buying that for a minute, Prius. If you're seriously going to claim that seniors are pushing down Florida's average household income, then I'm going to claim that Texas's household income should shoot up an average of about 15-20k because of the number of illegals that are working for pennies on the dollar along the border...
I know you don't want to believe the effects of retirees on average and median household income and also their effects on the economy, so I will just leave you with some reading material. I can't make you change your mind when you are set on believing what you want to, but facts are facts.

U.S. Retirees More Financially Comfortable Than Nonretirees

I'm not gonna battle you about it. I live here. I see plenty of money hanging out in Tampa Bay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 08:44 PM

4,678 posts, read 8,477,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
I know you don't want to believe the effects of retirees on average and median household income and also their effects on the economy, so I will just leave you with some reading material. I can't make you change your mind when you are set on believing what you want to, but facts are facts.

U.S. Retirees More Financially Comfortable Than Nonretirees

I'm not gonna battle you about it. I live here. I see plenty of money hanging out in Tampa Bay.
What does that story have to do about retirees, the ones that work, and their influence on average household income for the State of Florida?

I'm glad that you currently live there, I'm happy for you that you, and everyone in your family was able to find jobs that pay significantly more than where ever it was you left, and I just gives me a warm feeling and a soft spot every time I see one of your "many" Florida is Great, Tampa is Great, Heat is Great, Old People are Great, ect, ect, threads, but I can promise you, kind sir, that an entire state, culture, and "way of doing things" doesn't just magically change in a decade.

You're still new the the area and I have plenty of friends and family that still live in the Bay Area (Brandon, Plant City, Clair-Mel, and Bloomingdale) that tell me no matter how many people try to paint a rosy red picture of life in the Bay Area, it's extremely far from perfect. You too will slowly start to see the truth, and eventually, you'll leave just like everyone else.

I may be a bit pessimistic, and people may not like what I have to say, but at least most of what I post is true, or from someone that has experienced 20 years of life in the area. Not 6 months or 9, or even a year.

Like I said, eventually you'll see it for what it is.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
What does that story have to do about retirees, the ones that work, and their influence on average household income for the State of Florida?

I'm glad that you currently live there, I'm happy for you that you, and everyone in your family was able to find jobs that pay significantly more than where ever it was you left, and I just gives me a warm feeling and a soft spot every time I see one of your "many" Florida is Great, Tampa is Great, Heat is Great, Old People are Great, ect, ect, threads, but I can promise you, kind sir, that an entire state, culture, and "way of doing things" doesn't just magically change in a decade.

You're still new the the area and I have plenty of friends and family that still live in the Bay Area (Brandon, Plant City, Clair-Mel, and Bloomingdale) that tell me no matter how many people try to paint a rosy red picture of life in the Bay Area, it's extremely far from perfect. You too will slowly start to see the truth, and eventually, you'll leave just like everyone else.

I may be a bit pessimistic, and people may not like what I have to say, but at least most of what I post is true, or from someone that has experienced 20 years of life in the area. Not 6 months or 9, or even a year.

Like I said, eventually you'll see it for what it is.

You are funny TX. I already said we plan on moving. We will move further south in Florida at some point, where it is warmer.

Remember, I have more experience living all over the country than probably everyone on this board combined, so I can make excellent comparisons from one place to another.

And also remember, I once lived in Texas and could easily choose to live there again or in Florida. I chose Florida over Texas.

Have a good night my friend.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
I chose Florida over Texas.
Until the economy falls apart, again...

Nite Prius.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:19 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,479,376 times
Quote:

I may be a bit pessimistic, and people may not like what I have to say, but at least most of what I post is true, or from someone that has experienced 20 years of life in the area.
What about those of us who have lived here for almost all of our lives and still love it?

I certainly am not going to say that everyone who lives here loves it. Different people like different things, so it just makes sense that some would hate Florida and some would love it. But to say that when people live here long enough they end up hating it and leaving is a bit of a stretch - I think so anyway.

I moved away from Florida for almost 6 years. I lived in Tennessee and Indiana during those years and had a pretty nice time (not so much in Indiana), but I couldn't wait to get back to Florida!

I know Florida isn't perfect, but it is perfect for some of us.

(By the way, we almost moved to Texas years ago. I love Dallas! And Texas certainly has it together when it comes to public education.)

Old 07-10-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl777 View Post
What about those of us who have lived here for almost all of our lives and still love it?

I certainly am not going to say that everyone who lives here loves it. Different people like different things, so it just makes sense that some would hate Florida and some would love it. But to say that when people live here long enough they end up hating it and leaving is a bit of a stretch - I think so anyway.

I moved away from Florida for almost 6 years. I lived in Tennessee and Indiana during those years and had a pretty nice time (not so much in Indiana), but I couldn't wait to get back to Florida!

I know Florida isn't perfect, but it is perfect for some of us.

(By the way, we almost moved to Texas years ago. I love Dallas! And Texas certainly has it together when it comes to public education.)
I meant people that move from other places, then get here and preach how great it is, then a few months, years, or decades later decide they hate it, and trash it. I should have worded that better.

I think deep down, most natives love it and always will. I love Florida, I just don't love what it's become.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:59 PM

20,044 posts, read 11,979,129 times
Agreed I love Fl - born native,, but some have made it into something else... like complaining of our pink flamingos. I think we need to celebrate who we are,,, not become acclimated to the visitors... when I was young I rem everybody wore open tropical shirts n smoked cigars and ladies had floppy hats... and flowery sandals.. come back FLORIDA --come back... for my grand's sake.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:49 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,942,891 times
Quote:
Explain how a "retiree" has income?
Many people take extra money that they have from their paycheck and put it in "real" investments, not things like lottery tickets, a new car every two years or constant improvements to the house.

After a number of years, this saved money throws off income. I'm currently making as much after-tax as I did when I was working, hence no reason to get up in the morning to go to a job. I'm not scheduled to get Social Security for another 25 years (if ever), so the rest of you keep working and paying those FICA taxes for me...

Old 07-11-2013, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Okay, normally I agree with most everything you post......however I do have to take issue with two things here. Maybe you were just having a bad night last night, but you do not normally post things such as this.

1) I have never claimed the Bay area to be "perfect". I have posted things I do not care for here and the city of Tampa is something I am not overly fond of, as is the case for any city for me. Just because I make a great case for something, such as what the OP was asking about, does not mean I am blind to other things. There simply is no 100% perfect place on earth for everyone. People really need to stop making the jump from someone saying something good about the area to claiming they said it was perfect. Like I have always said, it is paradise for "us". Paradise does not mean flawless.

2) I love, as in laughing at, how people say just you wait. Wait for however long it takes. Years, decades, a lifetime, until after I'm dead.......everyone will learn to hate it and leave. Putting an endless timeframe on the claim allows, in the claimants mind, to never be wrong as they can always say "it's coming". You must know how silly that looks. Many people were born here and many people have moved here who love it and never move away. Sure, like any place, some people will decide it is not for them. But to claim that everyone will leave (other than leaving meaning death and the life after), well that is simply a silly statement.

Like I said TX, I agree with just about everything you post. I think you may have just had a bad night, so I won't hold it against you.

Old 07-11-2013, 05:58 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,479,376 times
Quote:
I meant people that move from other places, then get here and preach how great it is, then a few months, years, or decades later decide they hate it, and trash it. I should have worded that better.

I think deep down, most natives love it and always will. I love Florida, I just don't love what it's become.
OK - I got it now. Thanks for clarifying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay