U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 05:59 AM

20,095 posts, read 12,061,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post
Many people take extra money that they have from their paycheck and put it in "real" investments, not things like lottery tickets, a new car every two years or constant improvements to the house.

After a number of years, this saved money throws off income. I'm currently making as much after-tax as I did when I was working, hence no reason to get up in the morning to go to a job. I'm not scheduled to get Social Security for another 25 years (if ever), so the rest of you keep working and paying those FICA taxes for me...
that is great if they pay you enough... glad you were able to do that... not all -- rather many can't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 06:39 AM

642 posts, read 862,260 times
maybe with two people, a $45k/year salary will let you get you a cookie cutter "McMansion" in New Tampa but not much else...

its obvious that Florida especially the Tampa Bay area is a "make it or fake it" city. People try hard to keep up with the Joneses here which is especially indicative of why Hillsborough county was one of the top ten counties in the US in foreclosures during the crash...

Unfortunately, I see the same thing happening again, except its worse this time around because it is major corporations that are doing the speculating. Once people are unable to afford rents and they cant sell the house they will just unload massive number of properties all at once as oppose to someone in foreclosure that at least tries to hang on which creates more of a "staggering" effect (2009-2012)...Blackrock will have no problem dumping thousands of houses to market which will crash values overnight

and of course realtors say "buy, buy ,buy", that is their livelyhood

Old 07-11-2013, 06:56 AM

444 posts, read 454,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red3311 View Post
its obvious that Florida especially the Tampa Bay area is a "make it or fake it" city. People try hard to keep up with the Joneses here which is especially indicative of why Hillsborough county was one of the top ten counties in the US in foreclosures during the crash...
I don't see it. Sure, some folks (especially in South Tampa) are like that, but overall people here go with the flow and don't care about what their neighbors have. THAT is apparent all over the place, as you can see beautiful tropical estates right next to a 50's rambler that looks like it's falling apart.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:42 AM

4,678 posts, read 8,498,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
Okay, normally I agree with most everything you post......however I do have to take issue with two things here. Maybe you were just having a bad night last night, but you do not normally post things such as this.

1) I have never claimed the Bay area to be "perfect". I have posted things I do not care for here and the city of Tampa is something I am not overly fond of, as is the case for any city for me. Just because I make a great case for something, such as what the OP was asking about, does not mean I am blind to other things. There simply is no 100% perfect place on earth for everyone. People really need to stop making the jump from someone saying something good about the area to claiming they said it was perfect. Like I have always said, it is paradise for "us". Paradise does not mean flawless.
I didn't have a bad night, It just really pisses me off when there are black and white statistics and people try to bend and twist them into whatever makes their arguments stronger, for example... The average median household income in Florida is $44,299, which ranks 37th in the nation. Of course, Florida would rank near the top if you only accounted for the wages earned by top leaders in each industry on the 4th day of the month, when the humidity's over 80%, the wind is blowing at 6 knots, and it rains within a mile of the coast!

Every state has retirees, seniors, 65+ in the workforce, ect, ect.. I actually did the numbers last night, based off the last census, Florida had something (I don't have the numbers on me now, but can get them!) like 3.2M residents that are 65+, Texas has roughly 2.8M residents that are 65+, my point being, that ALL states can claim that their senior population is "bringing down" their median household income, so stop making that an excuse!

Florida has NEVER been in the middle of the pack or at the top as far as wages go and it never will! How can people that average $44k a year in salary afford to buy a house in a state where the average home price is around $200k?

Tampa Bay home prices hit five-year high, but Realtors question how long they'll climb | Tampa Bay Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
2) I love, as in laughing at, how people say just you wait. Wait for however long it takes. Years, decades, a lifetime, until after I'm dead.......everyone will learn to hate it and leave. Putting an endless timeframe on the claim allows, in the claimants mind, to never be wrong as they can always say "it's coming". You must know how silly that looks. Many people were born here and many people have moved here who love it and never move away. Sure, like any place, some people will decide it is not for them. But to claim that everyone will leave (other than leaving meaning death and the life after), well that is simply a silly statement.

Like I said TX, I agree with just about everything you post. I think you may have just had a bad night, so I won't hold it against you.
Give it time, Prius.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:17 AM

2,710 posts, read 4,390,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
I didn't have a bad night, It just really pisses me off when there are black and white statistics and people try to bend and twist them into whatever makes their arguments stronger, for example... The average median household income in Florida is $44,299, which ranks 37th in the nation. Of course, Florida would rank near the top if you only accounted for the wages earned by top leaders in each industry on the 4th day of the month, when the humidity's over 80%, the wind is blowing at 6 knots, and it rains within a mile of the coast!

Every state has retirees, seniors, 65+ in the workforce, ect, ect.. I actually did the numbers last night, based off the last census, Florida had something (I don't have the numbers on me now, but can get them!) like 3.2M residents that are 65+, Texas has roughly 2.8M residents that are 65+, my point being, that ALL states can claim that their senior population is "bringing down" their median household income, so stop making that an excuse!

Florida has NEVER been in the middle of the pack or at the top as far as wages go and it never will! How can people that average $44k a year in salary afford to buy a house in a state where the average home price is around $200k?

Tampa Bay home prices hit five-year high, but Realtors question how long they'll climb | Tampa Bay Times

While you can creat a metrics that is the "average median," the number you cited is not average median.

You are mixing the median income of 44K with average house price of 200K. Two of them don't mix. You normally look at the median income along with median house price, which is affordable for 44K.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:25 AM

4,817 posts, read 3,468,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
While you can creat a metrics that is the "average median," the number you cited is not average median.

You are mixing the median income of 44K with average house price of 200K. Two of them don't mix. You normally look at the median income along with median house price, which is affordable for 44K.
Even following that logic to say average home price in Tampa is x then compare that to the average STATE household income dont mix, many types of households, condos, trailers, etc.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:29 AM

2,710 posts, read 4,390,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
Even following that logic to say average home price in Tampa is x then compare that to the average STATE household income dont mix, many types of households, condos, trailers, etc.
Yep. I missed that actually. He was mixing State median income with average Tampa home price, apple and..what? vegetable? lol.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:30 AM

1,750 posts, read 1,624,294 times
How does he know retirees in TX are 2.8 mil vs 3.2 in FL? I think there's far more retirees in FL than TX, so that of course would bring down the median income. I read somewhere(can't recall the source) that 46% of the population in metro Tampa area are retirees (not necessarily 65 and over). My neighbors to the left, right, across and back of my house are retirees, so of course the median income of an area would be lower than up North. Apples and oranges statistics.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:30 PM

4,678 posts, read 8,498,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
How does he know retirees in TX are 2.8 mil vs 3.2 in FL? I think there's far more retirees in FL than TX, so that of course would bring down the median income. I read somewhere(can't recall the source) that 46% of the population in metro Tampa area are retirees (not necessarily 65 and over). My neighbors to the left, right, across and back of my house are retirees, so of course the median income of an area would be lower than up North. Apples and oranges statistics.
Are we seriously arguing over specifics? There are no statistics for those that have retired at 40, 50, 60, ect, ect, the census does however count seniors that are 65 or older.

Old 07-11-2013, 02:38 PM

1,750 posts, read 1,624,294 times
Then how can you say FL has only 3.2 mil retirees if there are no statistics for those that have retired at 40, 50, 60 etc.? Couple of my my immediate neighbors are below 65. Retirees on average make less $ than people "in" employment (that's a fact). That brings the average down, so again you're comparing apples and oranges to prove that FL wages are jack s**t. Try again..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay