Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 02:59 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
Then how can you say FL has only 3.2 mil retirees if there are no statistics for those that have retired at 40, 50, 60 etc.? Couple of my my immediate neighbors are below 65. Retirees on average make less $ than people "in" employment (that's a fact). That brings the average down, so again you're comparing apples and oranges to prove that FL wages are jack s**t. Try again..
It was a comparison of people aged 65 or older, I would assume that someone that "retired" at 40 or 50 wouldn't be too eager to get back into the workforce so soon, and I highly doubt that they're doing so to make minimum wage.

I don't have to prove that FL wages are "jack s**t" that's been proven far too many times...

List of U.S. states by income - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Florida Politics

Report: Low-Wage Jobs Are Flooding Florida*|*Florida Center for Investigative Reporting

Florida has fewer high-paying jobs - Miami Labor Relations | Examiner.com

Under Scott, Florida's job market growing, but quality of jobs is not | June 28, 2011 | Lloyd Dunkelberger | HT Politics

Many new Florida jobs have come in low-wage industries (Corrected, Updated) | Florida Independent

ect, ect, ect...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 03:46 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,176,629 times
Millions in TX make jack sh*t salaries too (never mind the large amount of illegal immigrants). TX probably has a larger amount of rich people, so you take into account their net worth, what the lower class makes and you get a $5K average better than FL's. Very impressive for a high tech state! Blah..

Not to mention when you go to the beach in Houston, you look at oil refineries.

Btw, worry about the 15+ trillion federal debt and whether China will own you in the future and leave the statistics alone.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Millions in TX make jack sh*t salaries too (never mind the large amount of illegal immigrants). TX probably has a larger amount of rich people, so you take into account their net worth, what the lower class makes and you get a $5K average better than FL's. Very impressive for a high tech state! Blah..

Not to mention when you go to the beach in Houston, you look at oil refineries.

Btw, worry about the 15+ trillion federal debt and whether China will own you in the future and leave the statistics alone.
LoL Someone has their panties in a bunch...

Actually, that extra $5k average per year is a lot of money when you also consider that our cost of living is also one of the lowest in the country.

I'm not really sure what the refineries and beaches have to do with income, but hey, those refinery jobs pay much more than the Florida average, so I guess that's something..

Old 07-11-2013, 07:02 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
Quote:
Then how can you say FL has only 3.2 mil retirees if there are no statistics for those that have retired at 40, 50, 60 etc.? Couple of my my immediate neighbors are below 65. Retirees on average make less $ than people "in" employment (that's a fact). That brings the average down, so again you're comparing apples and oranges to prove that FL wages are jack s**t. Try again..
Exactly. It's common sense, simple math. I really could not believe anybody wanted to argue that point.....especially someone I respect and I know is very intelligent.

The other thing to keep in mind is we are talking Tampa Bay here, not all of Florida. There are very poor rural areas away from Tampa Bay, which hurt the state numbers, but are not as relevant to the Tampa Bay area.....which is what the thread is about.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:24 PM

641 posts, read 1,020,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigtnelson View Post
I don't see it. Sure, some folks (especially in South Tampa) are like that, but overall people here go with the flow and don't care about what their neighbors have. THAT is apparent all over the place, as you can see beautiful tropical estates right next to a 50's rambler that looks like it's falling apart.
this is untrue, look at davis islands and azeele street all those crap 50s houses are GETTING TORN DOWN! What about all those idiot SUVs!? Cmon man!!

...and as far as Texas is concerned, other than California, the state has more fortune 500 companies (52 vs Florida's parsely 16) headquartered there any any other state in the union (NY is 3rd)... are we really losing to Minnesota, lol

lol per capita with over 16million residents that IS PITIFUL!!

Old 07-11-2013, 07:48 PM

443 posts, read 558,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red3311 View Post
this is untrue, look at davis islands and azeele street all those crap 50s houses are GETTING TORN DOWN! What about all those idiot SUVs!? Cmon man!!
Yes, look at Davis Islands, a tiny little piece of land that sits near downtown and is one of the priciest areas around the region. Now figure out why they might be tearing them down on Davis Islands, where the land value alone is probably worth more than the house.

Now look at the rest of the city and tell me you don't see it. Take a nice stroll up through the city's vast run down areas and tell me how they're coming along knocking down block after block of crap shacks. Oh yeah, they aren't.

Maybe one day, but that day is far off.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red3311 View Post

...and as far as Texas is concerned, other than California, the state has more fortune 500 companies (52 vs Florida's parsely 16) headquartered there any any other state in the union (NY is 3rd)... are we really losing to Minnesota, lol

lol per capita with over 16million residents that IS PITIFUL!!
Florida isn't a business friendly state.

Sadly, neither is California, but California is a more desirable place to live due to the culture, beauty, weather, Hollywood, ect, ect, which is why they have the companies that they do.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:17 PM

4,480 posts, read 3,849,852 times
Where do they get the money? It's very simple, and I'm shocked no one has mentioned it.

They don't need to get the money.

A good percentage of all those people in those houses are actually not paying their mortgages. They are in default and they are loving life. They are taking lavish vacations, buying new cars or socking away thousands of dollars every year as they take advantage of the backlog in the foreclosure system. These are people who are living rent-free in small houses, medium size houses, big houses, etc. It's not poor people, or middle wage people doing this. EVERYONE IS DOING THIS. I know IT professionals, doctors, lawyers, etc. who have not paid their mortgages in 1-5 years. There's a big-time dentist I know in Lutz, lives in an 800,000 dollar house in Lutz, brand new. Hasn't paid his mortgage in 2 years. But he is planning a scuba dive trip to Australia.

Do yourself a favor, go to the courthouse web site, and look up the mortgages of your neighbors. You will be amazed at how many of them are not paying. And of course MOST of them put zero or very little down as a down payment.

By the way, many of them don't even end up foreclosing. By the time the bank is about to evict them (1-5 years down the road), they negotiate with the banks and start paying and stay in their houses (thanks to Obama). But in the meantime, they had the chance to live rent-free for likely the first time in their lives. Not even a dentist can pass that kind of opportunity up, apparently. I'm sure many of the people reading this thread are also free-loading.

This and faking car accidents are the ways Americans are getting ahead these days (welfare, fraud, etc.). I recommend looking long and hard at retirement out of the USA. Most retirees will no be able to afford to live in this ever-inflated welfare state (the USA).

Last edited by sinatras; 07-11-2013 at 09:32 PM..

Old 07-11-2013, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Where do they get the money? It's very simple, and I'm shocked no one has mentioned it.

They don't need to get the money.

A good percentage of all those people in those houses are actually not paying their mortgages. They are in default and they are loving life. They are taking lavish vacations, buying new cars or socking away thousands of dollars every year as they take advantage of the backlog in the foreclosure system. These are people who are living rent-free in small houses, medium size houses, big houses, etc. It's not poor people, or middle wage people doing this. EVERYONE IS DOING THIS. I know IT professionals, doctors, lawyers, etc. who have not paid their mortgages in 1-5 years. There's a big-time dentist I know in Lutz, lives in an 800,000 dollar house in Lutz, brand new. Hasn't paid his mortgage in 2 years. But he is planning a scuba dive trip to Australia.

Do yourself a favor, go to the courthouse web site, and look up the mortgages of your neighbors. You will be amazed at how many of them are not paying. And of course MOST of them put zero or very little down as a down payment.

By the way, many of them don't even end up foreclosing. By the time the bank is about to evict them (1-5 years down the road), they negotiate with the banks and start paying and stay in their houses (thanks to Obama). But in the meantime, they had the chance to live rent-free for likely the first time in their lives. Not even a dentist can pass that kind of opportunity up, apparently. I'm sure many of the people reading this thread are also free-loading.

This and faking car accidents are the ways Americans are getting ahead these days (welfare, fraud, etc.). I recommend looking long and hard at retirement out of the USA. Most retirees will no be able to afford to live in this ever-inflated welfare state (the USA).
Rubbish!

Don't you know that Floridians make robust salaries? the numbers are clearly skewed by the millions of 40 year old retirees that traded it all in for the pleasure of working a 32 hour week as a Walmart greeter!

People in Florida pay their bills, to suggest otherwise would be uncivilized!

Old 07-11-2013, 09:53 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
i hear u same as here. that is bek they are signing for stuff instead of paying for stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay