Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 01:51 PM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,813,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigtnelson View Post
Technically more since you won't have to pay state income tax down here.

At least... I'm also assuming you'll be able to stop paying state income taxes, but I'm not terribly familiar with how that works for people in your particular situation.
I *think* I would still pay state taxes from up here. Not sure about that though.

I'm still saving my butt off because I can't count on this working out just yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 02:57 PM

35,416 posts, read 20,786,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
the local corporate job market is horrifying, abysmal in any measurable regard. Always has been, always will be. Sure every city has some good paying corp jobs. Most that make decent money around here are entrepenurial or highly experienced in some in demand skillset. Generally, younger college educated corporate type workers will move away for better opportunities. Florida is also a very different state where most of the huge money here is not from full time residents and in many cases very part time residents. Additionally, hedge funds, other investment groups and international players buy very large amounts of residential real estate in florida. Its an entirely different ball game down here.
hello . maybe Tampbay - have you been to Miami.. ??

Old 07-10-2013, 04:12 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,847,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
After reading thread after thread about all the jobs that pay squat down in Florida, I have to wonder, where do people get the money to pay the mortgages on all these beautiful homes here. After working over twenty five years in most new housing community's in the Tampa bay area, I can tell you they are by far not retired folks living in all these new homes. Most of the homes I worked in would be considered upper middle class. These were always the go to communities of the moment. For the longest time ( 70's-2006) the Tampa Bay Area was always in the top five in the country for new home starts. A lot of beautiful homes and communities were built during those years. How you suppose the people afforded those mortgages with those crappy jobs?
It's real simple. The economy here is not nearly as bad as some people really really want you to believe, people move here from other parts of the country which are more expensive in many cases and there are a lot of wealthy people living here because of how awesome it is.

Remember, the median and average incomes are lower here in large part because of how many retirees are here. Their low income skews the numbers.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:10 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,854,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
Remember, the median and average incomes are lower here in large part because of how many retirees are here. Their low income skews the numbers.

Explain how a "retiree" has income? If you mean a retiree that's re-entered the workplace, than I think it would be safe to assume that if they weren't there, someone else would take that job.

Obama administration pushes banks to make home loans to people with weaker credit - The Washington Post

Despite what many people think, banks are starting to make risky loans, once again. A lot (not all) but a lot of Florida homeowners are from other places, that brought their wealth with them, or they are investors, or they are a small part of the workforce within the state that actually makes enough money to afford them.

It's been that way for several decades now and it won't change.

All you have to do is compare the median household income of the US and you'll see that Florida ranks 37th. That says a lot.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
Explain how a "retiree" has income? If you mean a retiree that's re-entered the workplace, than I think it would be safe to assume that if they weren't there, someone else would take that job.
Quote:
All you have to do is compare the median household income of the US and you'll see that Florida ranks 37th. That says a lot.
I know a lot of seniors working part time and/or easy low skilled positions to keep themselves busy, socialize and have golf money. That lowers the median or average income for the area. More seniors here than many other places in the country.

You cannot seriously expect a state with tons of retirees to have the same median household income as places with far fewer retirees as a percentage.....can you?

Old 07-10-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
I know a lot of seniors working part time and/or easy low skilled positions to keep themselves busy, socialize and have golf money. That lowers the median or average income for the area. More seniors here than many other places in the country.
Do you not believe that those jobs would be staffed by teens or other currently non-employed people if those seniors weren't there taking those jobs?

Old 07-10-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Do you not believe that those jobs would be staffed by teens or other currently non-employed people if those seniors weren't there taking those jobs?
The unemployment rate here is UNDER the national average. We are better off then the nation on average. A lot, and I mean a lot of the type of jobs I referred to are here "because" of the seniors. You need to look at how median or average household income is calculated and you will see how large numbers of seniors artificially affect the numbers. A lot of these seniors are here with homes paid off and plenty in the banks, so the little income they make is extra for many of them. One needs to look at jobs seniors are not occupying and income made by people who are not seniors, along with the nest eggs and paid off mortgages seniors do have, to get a better grasp of the relative fiscal soundness of the area. It is the combination of people making good money in many jobs, retirees who already have money and rich people who have decided to live here that make the world go round.....here anyways.

I am not claiming this to be an area of all high paying jobs. There are certainly plenty of low skilled/low wage jobs as well. I am saying we have a rather unique demographic combination here which can show artificially low median income, yet have a good number of people who actually have money and the means to acquire what the OP is discussing.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
The unemployment rate here is UNDER the national average. We are better off then the nation on average. A lot, and I mean a lot of the type of jobs I referred to are here "because" of the seniors. You need to look at how median or average household income is calculated and you will see how large numbers of seniors artificially affect the numbers. A lot of these seniors are here with homes paid off and plenty in the banks, so the little income they make is extra for many of them. One needs to look at jobs seniors are not occupying and income made by people who are not seniors, along with the nest eggs and paid off mortgages seniors do have, to get a better grasp of the relative fiscal soundness of the area. It is the combination of people making good money in many jobs, retirees who already have money and rich people who have decided to live here that make the world go round.....here anyways.

I am not claiming this to be an area of all high paying jobs. There are certainly plenty of low skilled/low wage jobs as well. I am saying we have a rather unique demographic combination here which can show artificially low median income, yet have a good number of people who actually have money and the means to acquire what the OP is discussing.
I'm not buying that for a minute, Prius. If you're seriously going to claim that seniors are pushing down Florida's average household income, then I'm going to claim that Texas's household income should shoot up an average of about 15-20k because of the number of illegals that are working for pennies on the dollar along the border...

Old 07-10-2013, 07:49 PM

443 posts, read 556,104 times
The unemployment rate doesn't take into account the underemployed, of which there are TONS here, as well as those who have given up hope and removed themselves from the job hunt. Stop painting rosy pictures and face reality for once.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigtnelson View Post
The unemployment rate doesn't take into account the underemployed, of which there are TONS here, as well as those who have given up hope and removed themselves from the job hunt. Stop painting rosy pictures and face reality for once.
I'm SO glad CD let me rep you for that! Thanks Coach!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay