Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 03:19 PM

85 posts, read 248,074 times

Advertisements

Hello all.. would like some advice if possible.

My wife and I are moving down there next year from upstate NY. We are flying down in December though to get hooked up with a realtor and look at some areas. I will be commuting to Tampa for my job.

We are basically looking in the $170k-$250k range. We originally were looking specifically at the Wesley Chapel area, but realized that its very hard to find something in our price range without living in an area where there are only a few feet in between homes with very little land. So we pinpointed our search to the Brandon, Land O Lakes, Lakeland, and Plant City areas. I realize every area has pro's and con's. I also realize that there are always towns that have "reputations" of being lower middle class with a less than desired element there (welfare areas, etc), and was wondering if any of the above areas have those reputations amongst the locals already living down there. Schools are very important as well, as my kids are 4 and 5 yrs old.

Plant City seemed pretty nice based on my research, getting more for your money - but I also got a few messages from people telling me to stay away from there, without actually coming out and telling me why.

Basically trying to find a desirable area for my family where its a newer area, with good reputations and good schools, hospitals, etc.

Thanks in advance! Love this forum!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 03:28 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,691,242 times
Plant City has a sinkhole issue, due to farming practices...Lakeland is farther than Tampa compared to Land O Lakes and Brandon. Brandon's drive is horrible (way too much traffic going south). I would suggest Land O Lakes, a friend of mine just moved out there, it's not that far from Tampa, to the north and you can take the Sun Coast Express Way, or back roads, not too many people out that way. It is way more secluded compared to the others, and they have brand new housing complexes available. It's about a 10-15 minute drive north of Tampa.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:45 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,771,715 times
Brandon is crazy busy due to traffic. Lakeland is too far away to commute and the neighbourhood zoned to good schools with relatively new houses will be out of your price range. Plant City - well, check their schools.
Wesley Chapel - Land O Lakes... I am not sure what size of the house you are looking for, but most communities are a cookie cutters, so all lots are relatively small. Check something out on SR 54 in Land O Lakes, towards Odessa.
Any house zoned to good schools will be in the higher price range.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:01 PM

6,593 posts, read 4,967,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
Brandon is crazy busy due to traffic.
How is Brandon/Valrico with the crosstown, worse than new tampa/wesley chapel for commuting to Tampa. Once you get to the crosstown is 15 min to DT if that, the new i4/crosstown interchange will help that even more, Brandon is also as saturated as it will get while Wesley Chapel/New Tampa still in build, build, build, mode making a bad thing even worse (traffic).

Old 07-14-2013, 01:12 PM

443 posts, read 555,910 times
Brandon is a very poorly planned, congested dump of a suburb. Research Wesley Chapel/Land O Lakes. I think you'll find either more to you and your family's liking.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:46 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,562,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigtnelson View Post
Brandon is a very poorly planned, congested dump of a suburb. Research Wesley Chapel/Land O Lakes. I think you'll find either more to you and your family's liking.
I guess all those north and south roads in Brandon, cant compare to the single main roads in WC/LOL.

Traffic will be anywhere. I will gladly live in an area with multiple choices for moving around the area. .

Old 07-14-2013, 04:40 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,734,945 times
Brandon>LOL>Lakeland>PC imo.

Old 07-14-2013, 04:53 PM

4,091 posts, read 5,982,378 times
I can't in good conscience suggest anyone move to Brandon or Plant City. However, if you're going to be in Tampa due to work... Why not live, you know... IN Tampa? Crazy idea, I know.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:17 PM

5,914 posts, read 7,258,620 times
The problem with Brandon is it developed far too quickly without any sort of plan, or so it seems. It's a conglomeration of homes ranging from the 80 and newer where you can have a house built in 1980 right next to a house built in 2002 in some cases.

There are some planned communities where things are not this way, and they can be easily identified by the architecture if you're trying to figure their age.

There is still new construction taking place off of areas like Windhorst Road, but the arterial streets can be tough to get around during rush hour.

Brandon is clustered around Highway 60, which is a major arterial road and packed during rush hour both ways. That being said, if you go to New Tampa or Wesley Chapel you're going to see the same or worse due to construction and expansion - it will be just as bad or worse in the years to come, so take comments about Brandon with a grain of salt.

You might want to look at Valrico, such as Bloomingdale (East) and possibly even Fishhawk. Fishhawk will be at the high end of your range and a bit of a hike, but Bloomingdale will have a wide range of homes to choose from both in price and age. It's also a quick shot downtown and back via the Crosstown Expressway. I can get to downtown in 22 minutes in the morning, and a little longer in the evening (30-35 minutes) depending on the time.

RM

Old 07-14-2013, 06:54 PM

85 posts, read 248,074 times
Thank you ALL for the great responses. Seems as if Brandon and Plant City are out. What is the nearest area near Tampa where a half acre + in the $200k-$250k price point isn't uncommon? I don't mind being 40 minutes away if it means good schools, and some property. In the meantime, will pinpoint my search to the Land O' Lakes area I think.

As for why I don't want to move IN Tampa itself, I have 2 small children.. and I want to stay away from city type living, with higher than normal crime, congestion, etc.

Last edited by nyguy4u; 07-14-2013 at 07:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay