U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 08:27 AM

4,586 posts, read 4,622,683 times

Advertisements

1. Unlike other cities in Florida, (like Miami, Orlando, Jacksonville, Gainseville, Naples, Fort Myers).....in Tampa, Lutz, Odessa, Land O Lakes, Carrollwood there isn't ONE place that has preschool for 3 1/2 year olds for half a day for a monthly fee! Why should I pay daycare rates for half day preschool?

It goes like this: $45 per day, or $135 per week for 5 days, and the same for three days! THAT my friends is a RIP OFF. Why should 3 days cost the same as 5 days?

2. No classes during the day! No ballet, music, sports, nada! I don't feel like doing ballet at 6:30PM in the evening! I get that when kids are in school, mornings are not going to work, but during summer? what's the excuse there? Not to mention that "Ballet" requires a much higher brain involvement than painting...and so pushing back that late is a sure way to cause accidents. Its STUPID.

Why are these people taking out of the consideration that not everyone wants to do anything at 6:30PM rather than unwind after a hard day at work/school!?

There are no classes anywhere to be had right now aside from a week of VBS here and there. This is unacceptable considering the size of these cities and how many families live there. I have been looking since April. It is not OK that these several suburbs (cause its not just one) not have any amenities for children. The only art classes are in South Tampa! Excuse me, but I am not driving 13 miles to get to a damn 30 minute art class.

That Staples that closed on Dale Mabry should be turned into either a skating ring (and roller ring in the summer), and/or it should be turned into a VAST place for children! Ages 3 to 10.

Sorry, but this really irks me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 08:45 AM

552 posts, read 614,261 times
Just an FYI, theyre called rinks, not rings. Not trying to be rude just thought you should know.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:49 AM

4,825 posts, read 3,481,146 times
My youngest went to prek3 and prek4 for half day, in Brandon and South Tampa. My kids have been in camps all this summer, my daughter is in art camp right now. At any rate it sounds like your title should be "2 things that are really annoying about my suburb and its vicinity" not Tampa.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:12 AM

2,719 posts, read 4,403,272 times
FYI

Body and mind coordination is at the highest level end of the day than the beginning of the day says the science . In fact, contrary to what many believe doing things late afternoon are the best. Drivers are at their peak in the evening than in the morning for the same fact. So, if everything is equal, you should expect more crash in the morning than in the evening.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:21 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,217,684 times
13 miles is not a long way to travel, IMO.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:19 AM

693 posts, read 960,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
13 miles is not a long way to travel, IMO.
Agreed, 13 miles is nothing if you choose to live outside a metro area thats part of the deal.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:24 AM

3,313 posts, read 4,310,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
1. Unlike other cities in Florida, (like Miami, Orlando, Jacksonville, Gainseville, Naples, Fort Myers).....in Tampa, Lutz, Odessa, Land O Lakes, Carrollwood there isn't ONE place that has preschool for 3 1/2 year olds for half a day for a monthly fee! Why should I pay daycare rates for half day preschool?

It goes like this: $45 per day, or $135 per week for 5 days, and the same for three days! THAT my friends is a RIP OFF. Why should 3 days cost the same as 5 days?

2. No classes during the day! No ballet, music, sports, nada! I don't feel like doing ballet at 6:30PM in the evening! I get that when kids are in school, mornings are not going to work, but during summer? what's the excuse there? Not to mention that "Ballet" requires a much higher brain involvement than painting...and so pushing back that late is a sure way to cause accidents. Its STUPID.

Why are these people taking out of the consideration that not everyone wants to do anything at 6:30PM rather than unwind after a hard day at work/school!?

There are no classes anywhere to be had right now aside from a week of VBS here and there. This is unacceptable considering the size of these cities and how many families live there. I have been looking since April. It is not OK that these several suburbs (cause its not just one) not have any amenities for children. The only art classes are in South Tampa! Excuse me, but I am not driving 13 miles to get to a damn 30 minute art class.

That Staples that closed on Dale Mabry should be turned into either a skating ring (and roller ring in the summer), and/or it should be turned into a VAST place for children! Ages 3 to 10.

1. There are places that charge per hour (with 4 hours min) and it's about $5.50 per hour, so half a day (4 hrs) will be around $22. Full time cost vs part time cost is also different and not the same. At least at day cares we went to. If you are trying to find a place what will charge 50% of full time, then it's hard.
Once you child will be eligible for VPK, the cost will drop. Looks like your 3,5 y.o. will have to wait for another year though.

2. Instead of complaining try to organize a group of parents who are willing to go to early classes and go to your ballet school. I am sure they will open one class for your group for an earlier time. The reason why most classes start later is because it works better for working parents schedules.

In general I agree there is a lack of places for kids in Pasco County. There is no bouncer house places! No kids museum and no covered playgrounds! It's a great business idea to open something like that for Pasco Co. residents... we just need to find someone with money and interest

Old 07-16-2013, 11:30 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,488,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post

I think the problem may be more localized to your area rather than being a problem with the entire city of Tampa. I'm not sure about the preschool situation since my children are a bit older than that, but where I live in Safety Harbor, there is PLENTY for kids to do throughout the day. On my morning runs, I see them sailing with the area's rec department, they have art classes, creative writing classes, gymnastics, dance, etc. All kinds of stuff to do!

If your area lacks this kind of environment, rather than complain about it you could do the following:

1.) Try to organize something yourself. I'm sure there are other families looking for the same thing in your area.

OR

2.) Move closer to an area that has what you want.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:51 AM

4,586 posts, read 4,622,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
My youngest went to prek3 and prek4 for half day, in Brandon and South Tampa. My kids have been in camps all this summer, my daughter is in art camp right now. At any rate it sounds like your title should be "2 things that are really annoying about my suburb and its vicinity" not Tampa.
Again, you're talking about ST! The "majority" of people living here do not live in South Tampa.

13 miles is a lot to drive to spend 45 minutes somewhere.

13 miles on Dale Mabry is over 30 minutes ar various times a day, and when that is not the only drive you have to do, and its completely out of your way, it makes it invonvenient!

Must be nice living your life only thinking about yourself and no one else!

This is a huge missed business opportunity.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:57 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,217,684 times
Only two annoyances is pretty good - says a lot about the area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay