Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 01:33 PM

296 posts, read 658,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
Really it's like saying you go there for the great food!

They serve food at Hooters?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 09:21 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,283,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
too many distractions in Hooters to watch football on TV.
Not the one on 4th St. Homeliest group of Hooters waitresses I've ever seen...

Old 07-20-2013, 09:26 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
I'm not picky.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:07 AM

8 posts, read 12,622 times
Hey Romes,

I grew up in northeastern PA and am consistently shocked by the lack of decent sports bars here. Since you know Ferg's is Ferg's I'll run through the other places I've tried and the pro's and cons. I always have multiple fantasy football teams so I like to be able to see all of the games. I've arranged in order of proximity to you.

MacDinton's - I've never been here for a football game but I've seen some soccer games and I can see some problems with watching a full slate of NFL games. While the televisions are new and nicer than most places they are kind of spread out and there's only about 3 tables in the entire place that would be a good spot to sit and watch all of the games at once. If you didn't mind standing I think you'd be fine, but I wouldn't want to do a marathon session there.

Midtown - I have a love/hate relationship with Midtown. Here are the pros - service is good - wait staff is friendly, you'll have the place to yourself - so much so that you can wander around from game to game, they will have the Browns game on and if you get there early enough you can probably tell them what tv to have it on, they play the Red Zone channel on one of the tv's, the food - good, the location is perfect, it doesn't ever smell like vomit (looking at you, Fergs), pool tables, and by the pool tables you can see about 3-4 games very easily on one wall, so the 4 o'**** games can be jackpot time there - there's also a REALLY sexy plasma tv in the main viewing area that can be great if your game is on.. Now, for the cons - hotel bar atmosphere - sit in there and tell me you don't feel like you're in a bad hotel bar, they ran out of Miller Light one week - I'm not kidding, they actually RAN OUT OF MILLER LIGHT - at like 2pm???, some of the tv's are older, and by older I mean older than me (I'm 31), there is a prime tv spot taken up by a poster of Arnold Palmer. Midtown is frustrating - it could be the best sports bar in downtown but they just don't TRY hard enough. With that being said, it's my sports bar of choice in spite of itself (I could probably talk for an hour about how I'd improve Midtown).

Hooters on 4th - It's not downtown but it's not far either. I think Chi-Tino's advice on the other bars is pretty spot on but they have a new manager who's a pretty nice reasonable guy (although not sure when Chi went - also could have been same guy having a crappy day). They actually sponsor our soccer team on Monday nights and while I'm generally anti-Hooters (not a huge fan of their food) this is a pretty decent spot to watch a game. One of my main problems with the sports bars in the area is there is never any sound on. Nothing like watching Monday Night Football with Katy Perry jamming in the background, right (although between her and Gruden she may actually be the lesser evil)? They always have the Rays games with the sound on and same thing with whatever is the biggest game, which is nice. On regular Sundays they dedicate each television to a different game - the game they will be playing will have a tag on the bottom of the television so you know what game you're going to be getting. I doubt there are going to be many people clamoring for the Browns game front and center so you might have the tv in the corner, but you'll be able to see the game at least. There are also some spots where you'll be able to watch about 4-5 games without straining your neck. This is rare for a St Petersburg sports bar. The service can be meh depending on the waitress but for the most part they make up for it with their charm.

Biff Burger - I wouldn't have thought of this one but everything Chi said is true, and you should check it out sometime either way if you haven't - the food is good and cheap. HOWEVER - smoking is permitted and plentiful. As someone that does not like to be in a smoky place and hates the thought of eating food next to someone smoking, I would not be coming here when it is packed on a Sunday.

Ale House - Chi was pretty on point on this one but unless they updated them recently the televisions aren't as nice as he recalls (I feel like this was the coolest place in 2003 but they haven't changed much since). There are many big screen tv's but thet all look like they were bought in the late 90's. Remember the first big screen tv's with the GIGANTIC backs that you needed you and 6 friends to move? They have some of those in some of the better spots (unless they updated, in which case, forget that). Michigan was playing a random big 10 team last year (on the big 10 network) and that was the ONLY bar that had the game on. It's annoying driving 100 blocks to see a game but you do what you have to do. The food is decent and there are a lot of beers on tap, but for some reason I like the idea of this place more than I like this place. PRO TIP - they must get a deal on air conditioning because it's never above 65 degrees in there - bring a sweatshirt.

Courtisde - Courtside is a hike, and you don't want to go there for a Monday or Sunday night game bc you will have a broom pushed under your feet at 10:45 (another thing about sports bars here is they HATE making money late - they would much rather close at 11 than let drunk people eat and drink more - seems like a poor business model to me). Sunday's during the day however are really nice depending on where the game you want to watch is on. There is a buffet that includes wings, bar food, and most importantly, beer. I think it's from 11-4 ish but don't quote me - also think it's about 25 bucks - pretty good deal. I would absolutely recommend this bar for the bar area - there are 2 nice projection tv's above the bar - perfect placement - and they will usually have the sound on. The problem you, as a Browns fan, will run into is while they will have all the games other than the bar area it is really really spread out - so you're probably going to be watching it in the corner of the dining room area, not being able to see the other games going on in the bar area.

Best sports bar - it's a drive but it's 100% worth it and I didn't find it till Week 15 last year - Brown Boxer on Madeira Beach. There are NICE tv's EVERYWHERE. Tv's are great, food is good, you can sit outside on the deck or inside, you can sit in one spot and see about 10 games. It is exactly what a sports bar should be. Check it out sometime.

Old 07-20-2013, 03:57 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,283,237 times
They did update the TVs at the Ale House recently. Maybe they sold the old ones to Midtown.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:31 PM

That's funny.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:26 AM

94 posts, read 289,717 times
That's a great list, but I'd also add Winghouse to the list. On the one on 4th, in the main dining area, tons of TV's and it's easy to see all the various games going on.

I'm a fergs guy, though. Granted, it can get a little toasty in the main area, and sometimes, the service is slow, but it's my favorite sports bar in St. Pete.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrepro View Post
Hey Romes,

I grew up in northeastern PA and am consistently shocked by the lack of decent sports bars here. Since you know Ferg's is Ferg's I'll run through the other places I've tried and the pro's and cons. I always have multiple fantasy football teams so I like to be able to see all of the games. I've arranged in order of proximity to you.

MacDinton's - I've never been here for a football game but I've seen some soccer games and I can see some problems with watching a full slate of NFL games. While the televisions are new and nicer than most places they are kind of spread out and there's only about 3 tables in the entire place that would be a good spot to sit and watch all of the games at once. If you didn't mind standing I think you'd be fine, but I wouldn't want to do a marathon session there.

Midtown - I have a love/hate relationship with Midtown. Here are the pros - service is good - wait staff is friendly, you'll have the place to yourself - so much so that you can wander around from game to game, they will have the Browns game on and if you get there early enough you can probably tell them what tv to have it on, they play the Red Zone channel on one of the tv's, the food - good, the location is perfect, it doesn't ever smell like vomit (looking at you, Fergs), pool tables, and by the pool tables you can see about 3-4 games very easily on one wall, so the 4 o'**** games can be jackpot time there - there's also a REALLY sexy plasma tv in the main viewing area that can be great if your game is on.. Now, for the cons - hotel bar atmosphere - sit in there and tell me you don't feel like you're in a bad hotel bar, they ran out of Miller Light one week - I'm not kidding, they actually RAN OUT OF MILLER LIGHT - at like 2pm???, some of the tv's are older, and by older I mean older than me (I'm 31), there is a prime tv spot taken up by a poster of Arnold Palmer. Midtown is frustrating - it could be the best sports bar in downtown but they just don't TRY hard enough. With that being said, it's my sports bar of choice in spite of itself (I could probably talk for an hour about how I'd improve Midtown).

Hooters on 4th - It's not downtown but it's not far either. I think Chi-Tino's advice on the other bars is pretty spot on but they have a new manager who's a pretty nice reasonable guy (although not sure when Chi went - also could have been same guy having a crappy day). They actually sponsor our soccer team on Monday nights and while I'm generally anti-Hooters (not a huge fan of their food) this is a pretty decent spot to watch a game. One of my main problems with the sports bars in the area is there is never any sound on. Nothing like watching Monday Night Football with Katy Perry jamming in the background, right (although between her and Gruden she may actually be the lesser evil)? They always have the Rays games with the sound on and same thing with whatever is the biggest game, which is nice. On regular Sundays they dedicate each television to a different game - the game they will be playing will have a tag on the bottom of the television so you know what game you're going to be getting. I doubt there are going to be many people clamoring for the Browns game front and center so you might have the tv in the corner, but you'll be able to see the game at least. There are also some spots where you'll be able to watch about 4-5 games without straining your neck. This is rare for a St Petersburg sports bar. The service can be meh depending on the waitress but for the most part they make up for it with their charm.

Biff Burger - I wouldn't have thought of this one but everything Chi said is true, and you should check it out sometime either way if you haven't - the food is good and cheap. HOWEVER - smoking is permitted and plentiful. As someone that does not like to be in a smoky place and hates the thought of eating food next to someone smoking, I would not be coming here when it is packed on a Sunday.

Ale House - Chi was pretty on point on this one but unless they updated them recently the televisions aren't as nice as he recalls (I feel like this was the coolest place in 2003 but they haven't changed much since). There are many big screen tv's but thet all look like they were bought in the late 90's. Remember the first big screen tv's with the GIGANTIC backs that you needed you and 6 friends to move? They have some of those in some of the better spots (unless they updated, in which case, forget that). Michigan was playing a random big 10 team last year (on the big 10 network) and that was the ONLY bar that had the game on. It's annoying driving 100 blocks to see a game but you do what you have to do. The food is decent and there are a lot of beers on tap, but for some reason I like the idea of this place more than I like this place. PRO TIP - they must get a deal on air conditioning because it's never above 65 degrees in there - bring a sweatshirt.

Courtisde - Courtside is a hike, and you don't want to go there for a Monday or Sunday night game bc you will have a broom pushed under your feet at 10:45 (another thing about sports bars here is they HATE making money late - they would much rather close at 11 than let drunk people eat and drink more - seems like a poor business model to me). Sunday's during the day however are really nice depending on where the game you want to watch is on. There is a buffet that includes wings, bar food, and most importantly, beer. I think it's from 11-4 ish but don't quote me - also think it's about 25 bucks - pretty good deal. I would absolutely recommend this bar for the bar area - there are 2 nice projection tv's above the bar - perfect placement - and they will usually have the sound on. The problem you, as a Browns fan, will run into is while they will have all the games other than the bar area it is really really spread out - so you're probably going to be watching it in the corner of the dining room area, not being able to see the other games going on in the bar area.

Best sports bar - it's a drive but it's 100% worth it and I didn't find it till Week 15 last year - Brown Boxer on Madeira Beach. There are NICE tv's EVERYWHERE. Tv's are great, food is good, you can sit outside on the deck or inside, you can sit in one spot and see about 10 games. It is exactly what a sports bar should be. Check it out sometime.
This was helpful thanks. I wandered into Mike's Tavern the other day, seems like a decent place to watch some football. Any thoughts on Mike's anyone?

Old 07-22-2013, 09:13 PM

No problem...

Mike's is new and I've had good experiences there. I believe it opened after the football season had ended so it will be interesting to see if it pans out as a good place to watch a game.

My other two favorite bars near downtown are Engine no. 9 - their burgers are phenomenal - one bad pig is the best IMO and Urban Brew and BBQ is excellent as well - if you like draft beer it is great and the list is constantly updated.

Any other cool places you've found?

Old 07-23-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrepro View Post
No problem...

Mike's is new and I've had good experiences there. I believe it opened after the football season had ended so it will be interesting to see if it pans out as a good place to watch a game.

My other two favorite bars near downtown are Engine no. 9 - their burgers are phenomenal - one bad pig is the best IMO and Urban Brew and BBQ is excellent as well - if you like draft beer it is great and the list is constantly updated.

Any other cool places you've found?
Not for sports... but La V Fusion is a good place for a date, not too expensive and some good Vietnamese food. The canopy bar at the birch hotel beach drive is pretty cool. I went to One Night Stand's and that place sucked. Otherwise just been doing the typical stuff on the strip. Mandarin Hide is kinda cool. I am more the type to just wanna be somewhere and grab a few drinks, watch a sports game and have it where the music is low enough to where I can have a conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay