Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2010, 02:48 PM

817 posts, read 2,250,248 times

Advertisements

Why do people move here and then complain?

If you don't like Florida, there are 49 other states you can move to that you might like more.

?...Shrugs...? Don't get it...I didn't like Houston when I lived there. You know what I did? I moved back to Florida.

Old 07-10-2010, 03:17 PM

69 posts, read 86,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
So you want the poor out of Florida... But.. What will you do when you want to drop tons of cash at restaurants, malls, and all the other places low income people go to work ?

What ARE you on about? how does what you say relate in any way to what Spring Hillian said.. Where was there mention of wanting rid of the poor? All thats being said is that if you are so hacked off with a low income life quit moaning about it and better yourself.. I just put myself through school to make myself more marketable for when I get out there.. once there if my chosen career doesn't work out.. guess what, ill go back to school and try again.. While folk like me work our butts off trying to better ourselves there will still be those of you working in low income jobs, miserable and feeling they are owed something.. its inherant everywhere.. if someone isnt happy, do something about it.. man im enjoying this wee debate but some of you....... AAAAAAAAAARGH!! talk about frustrating!!

Old 07-10-2010, 03:43 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,755,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
After 20-something years in the military, I'd have given an arm/leg to have been assigned at MacDill. There's a reason why CENTCOM is here -
Offutt AFB was far better

Old 07-10-2010, 03:57 PM

55 posts, read 114,017 times
I came to the area right after finishing undergrad and enrolled at USF in the mid-90's and hated it. I was delusional, thinking it was going to be Disney every day or Miami Vice type of scenario. I quickly realized it wasn't. It has changed in many ways for the better as more new restaurants have opened up over the years, and different types of people have moved to this area. When I was at USF, it was a backwards mentality and more overt prejudice here. That was a contrast from anything I experienced living up north. However,this area has many great points. No way would I want to move back to Philly nor NY (the two other areas I lived in before moving to Tampa Bay).
My issue with this area is the cost of living, quality of the schools (now that we have kids), and difficulty with employment. My husband's business has plummeted due to the economy and our health insurance is ridiculous. My job doenst even give us that many days off to enjoy the great things here in FL. Worst of all, my family lives up north. For me, I think it is time to move, and that is my plan if someone will buy my house (which is depreciating in value as we speak).

Old 07-10-2010, 04:05 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,634,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
She's actually beaten Oprah on ratings.......UNREAL!
'Judge Judy' tops 'Oprah' in rankings – The Marquee Blog - CNN.com Blogs

I guess peole are so miserable that they find enjoyment in someone else misery more than anything else! But this is boring to death Forida sooooo, they have to fill up that time with something!

Looking for something fun to do this weekend?

$150+ per person, so if all of us (5) want to go it will cost $750!!!!!!!
for 1 event!? now you see that only the rich/(retired) have stuff to do.....the real ppl stay home and watch Judge Judy or some other crap show!

Then $229 for a dentist cleaning for a 4 year old! WITH dental discount plan!!!! simple cleaning, no real dental work involved! WHAT? no wonder you have dentists retired at 40 playing golf on Tuesday while the normal people work!
.....and it goes downhill from there!
This state sucks!

This post is very ignorant and presumptions!

As if everyone here is in YOUR particular situation, unfortunately you are part of the minority that lives here and enjoys having LOTS of space...I am sure you also have low paid people that clean up after you, why don't you ask them if they share your opinions!
Good for you...but don't generalize....this is hardly the situation most people have here.

My point is that elevating Florida or Tampa is absurd...the wages alone SUCK royally and people are very cheap because of that and have no respect for someone work.
Yeah, Tampa is better if your compare it to Orlando or Miami, but that's where it ends.
You call another post ignorant for stating their feelings but post about one of the most expensive events going on this weekend as if it is the only thing to do when right below it on the link you posted was this.

Quote:
Sail Tampa Bay
When: July 10-14
Where: Tampa Convention Center & Channelside Bay Plaza
Some of the World's most magnificent international sailing ships will dock in downtown Tampa next month for Sail Tampa Bay 2010, taking place from July 10-14, 2010. Ships including the U.S.C.G. Eagle from the United States, the Capitan Miranda from Uruguay, and the Gloria from Colombia will be on-hand for the event, which will allow visitors to get up close and personal with these vessels. Both the Gloria and the Capitan Miranda will be docked at the Tampa Convention Center, while the U.S.C.G. Eagle will be docked at the Yacht Starship dock at Channelside Bay Plaza
Tickets for this is $10 for adults and $3 for children under 12

Old 07-10-2010, 05:17 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,120,893 times
Where did my post say anything about wanting the poor out of FL? I am poor myself. I am not a retiree, I work for a living. I have no big pension coming when I retire. I dont "drop[ tons of cash" anywhere. Also, I am not a "high wage" earner. I am an average Joe with an average job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
So you want the poor out of Florida... But.. What will you do when you want to drop tons of cash at restaurants, malls, and all the other places low income people go to work ?

Old 07-10-2010, 05:19 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,120,893 times
I learned something early in life. You get out what you put in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironsmurf View Post
What ARE you on about? how does what you say relate in any way to what Spring Hillian said.. Where was there mention of wanting rid of the poor? All thats being said is that if you are so hacked off with a low income life quit moaning about it and better yourself.. I just put myself through school to make myself more marketable for when I get out there.. once there if my chosen career doesn't work out.. guess what, ill go back to school and try again.. While folk like me work our butts off trying to better ourselves there will still be those of you working in low income jobs, miserable and feeling they are owed something.. its inherant everywhere.. if someone isnt happy, do something about it.. man im enjoying this wee debate but some of you....... AAAAAAAAAARGH!! talk about frustrating!!

Old 07-10-2010, 07:17 PM

794 posts, read 1,860,102 times
Wow....how in the world did you interpret that I am in a favorable position, retired, or have lots of money????? You couldn't be any further from the truth.

I have more disposable income because I've escaped the Tax Tyranny of New York that not only taxed my income, but my gas, my commuting, food, clothes, and on and on.

The point of my post is if you think it's expensive here; try moving to any other state in the union and it will be just as expensive. Do you think a dentist in another state is cheaper???

I don't get it. If you have a negative attitude and only look at negative things, then you will attract a negative situation to your life; it's that simple.

Do yourself a favor and rent the DVD called "The Secret". Whenever I'm down and need some encouragement, I watch this DVD to bring back optimism and motivation to make things better. And no, I am not a preacher or a man of religion; just a hard working man who's had his share of misfortune in life that has finally come to peace with himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
She's actually beaten Oprah on ratings.......UNREAL!
'Judge Judy' tops 'Oprah' in rankings – The Marquee Blog - CNN.com Blogs

I guess peole are so miserable that they find enjoyment in someone else misery more than anything else! But this is boring to death Forida sooooo, they have to fill up that time with something!

Looking for something fun to do this weekend?

$150+ per person, so if all of us (5) want to go it will cost $750!!!!!!!
for 1 event!? now you see that only the rich/(retired) have stuff to do.....the real ppl stay home and watch Judge Judy or some other crap show!

Then $229 for a dentist cleaning for a 4 year old! WITH dental discount plan!!!! simple cleaning, no real dental work involved! WHAT? no wonder you have dentists retired at 40 playing golf on Tuesday while the normal people work!
.....and it goes downhill from there!
This state sucks!

This post is very ignorant and presumptions!

As if everyone here is in YOUR particular situation, unfortunately you are part of the minority that lives here and enjoys having LOTS of space...I am sure you also have low paid people that clean up after you, why don't you ask them if they share your opinions!
Good for you...but don't generalize....this is hardly the situation most people have here.

My point is that elevating Florida or Tampa is absurd...the wages alone SUCK royally and people are very cheap because of that and have no respect for someone work.
Yeah, Tampa is better if your compare it to Orlando or Miami, but that's where it ends.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:39 PM

325 posts, read 441,400 times
My family is from Panama City. My Mom water Skied at Cypress Gardens in 1957. Florida has been Ruined by Northern, Yankees, whatever you want to call them, coming here for their "Pot Of Gold!!!" Period!

Old 07-10-2010, 08:53 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,755,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin from Tampa View Post
Why do people move here and then complain?

If you don't like Florida, there are 49 other states you can move to that you might like more.

?...Shrugs...? Don't get it...I didn't like Houston when I lived there. You know what I did? I moved back to Florida.
Some people just dont have a choice... like us in the military.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay