Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 10:12 AM

40 posts, read 50,570 times

Advertisements

I am hoping some of you might be able to help me with my home search. I am in NJ right now and have been doing online searches on MyFloridaMLS but have not found too many homes that meet my criteria.
My husband will be working in downtown Tampa, so we do not want to live too far out. I am considering Safety Harbor, Westchase, Lutz and Odessa. Our price range is 400-550k.

My criteria:
1) Less than 10 years old with at least a half acre lot - can't seem to find that lot size in Westchase, Safety Harbor.
2)Public Utilities - having trouble finding that in Lutz, Odessa.
3)Would really like it if the house has gas, not just electric.

I don't really care about backing up to a lake/pond (in fact, I would prefer not to!) or conservation area.

I have seen one subdivision called Ladera in Lutz where there are some new builds by Taylor Morrison that meet my criteria. Is anyone familiar with this? Any comments on the area?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 10:23 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,791,232 times
Check out Twin Branch Acres. It's between Westchase and Safety Harbor. It has large lots and is a lovely neighborhood within that price range.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:25 AM

693 posts, read 1,133,176 times
Will be tough to keep within your price range at Ladera once you start adding up everything. Also, in general, your lot size might be a problem within your price raneg if you want to be in an actual subdivision.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:42 AM

Thanks, floridagirl. I will check it out.

Bavarian - I can increase my price range but the problem I am running into is that I would prefer a smaller home and a larger lot. At the higher price ranges, the homes are way bigger than I want. It is just my husband and me and 2 dogs, so I have no need for a 5-6 bedroom house.
The cheapest model for Ladera starts around $380,000. I figured even with a few upgrades, it should not add more than 100-150k to the price. Am I mistaken?

What are my options if I don't care if I am in an actual subdivision?

Old 07-17-2013, 11:11 AM

I am looking for different things then you are in a house, I have 3 children and wanting a larger home with 4 bedrooms. I only know that I spent some time and my agent spent some time with the reps from Ladera whom were very nice and I quickly got close to and above 600k. They have a very high lot premium and the options are cheap but then again if you are flexible on lot choice and arent look for extra options then you might be okay.

Outside the subdivisions you have private builders who buy land and build homes, from my experience using a home search engine they tend to reflect homes that are on larger lights in more rural areas with a mix of homes from trailers to new all around.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:20 AM

What did you think of the area surrounding Ladera? Is it a good neighborhood?
I will be visiting Tampa next month to look round so I am trying to get feedback and narrow things down as much as possible.
Do you recommend working with an agent even if you are buying a new home?

Thanks again for your response.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:27 AM

I havent been to Tampa yet, my research has been all via internet.

I suppose with new its not necessary as I know many people who did not use an agent as well with no problems. I dont have enough experience with or without to be recommending, but for me I feel more comfortable with an agent who is on my team.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:30 PM

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Old 07-22-2013, 09:28 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,561,500 times
Ladera is a very well planned community. It is across the street from a very large church and with that comes traffic. Not a problem just an FYI. It's in a good area, still rural but easy access to necessary services. I drive by there often and I never fail to see people jogging or walking their dogs. There's quite a history on the intersection of Dale Mabry Highway and Van Dyke in case you're interested in doing more research. In brief, most of the original owners in the area have fought against developers.

There are several communities being built with larger lots in your target area, but as you've discovered, they have bigger homes because that's what the majority wants. There are a couple of infill projects in the Carrollwood area, too. I, like you, have a small family and prefer less house to clean but I do like good storage. A new home will give you better rates on insurance and energy efficiency. The Florida Building code keeps raising the standards they're particularly strong for wind standards. If you build a new house, please get double-paned windows - your electric bill will reflect the savings. Many of the tract home builders are installing them now. But homes built before 2007 will probably have single-pane. The smallest new home plan I'm aware of in the area at this time on a one-acre lot has 3155 square feet plus the garage.

You might also check the Keystone area around Race Track Road. There are some houses there on larger lots, but they're big, too!

If you don't know already, please learn about CDDs (Community Development Districts). Most of the newer master planned communities have them which adds to your annual taxes. The CDD should include at least some community amenities.

Given your criteria, I think your logic is good regarding the target area, but your husband's commute during peak hours is going to be long. It takes much longer here to go shorter distances and the public transport is insufficient.

Last edited by TampaKaren; 07-22-2013 at 10:55 AM..

Old 07-25-2013, 06:17 AM

Thank-you, Karen. I really appreciate the input.

I have been reading up on CDDs and would prefer to avoid those if possible.
Is there a site I can check to get more info on new build communities in the Tampa area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay