Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2013, 06:02 PM

51 posts, read 89,848 times

Advertisements

How insane would I be to live in St. Pete (anywhere from Central Oak Park up to the Northeast area) but work in Tampa? South Tampa at any rate. What's the difference in traffic and overall feel between the Gandy bridge and 275? (Gandy would actually be a more direct route to this job possibility) And does the fact that Gandy has tolls make it unreasonable to take every day? Thanks for any help/advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 06:09 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,934,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by north__to__south View Post
How insane would I be to live in St. Pete (anywhere from Central Oak Park up to the Northeast area) but work in Tampa? South Tampa at any rate. What's the difference in traffic and overall feel between the Gandy bridge and 275? (Gandy would actually be a more direct route to this job possibility) And does the fact that Gandy has tolls make it unreasonable to take every day? Thanks for any help/advice.
Gandy doesn't have tolls. It's a pretty commute both ways, but subject to bottle necks. In a rains storm, it becomes a stop and go crawl (frequent). An accident will turn either bridge into a parking lot. Both reliably back up during rush hours. Especially on the way home.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:58 AM

35,679 posts, read 21,030,020 times
I used to live in St Pete,, Gandy is pretty good, and NO tolls,,, specially if you find some short cuts. I hardly hear of an accident on it, vs 275 which will ONLY get worse as more conntruction is set to happen off Lois./ 275

Old 07-21-2013, 10:10 AM

6,620 posts, read 5,006,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by north__to__south View Post
Not at all that 20 min to 30 min tops, the afternoon commute will be easier i never seen the gandy bridge backed up going west, and since they added an extra lane at the first light going east its not bad. A lot of people work in DT and live in NE, a lot of S Tampa residents go to NE/DTSP often.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:19 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,934,612 times
Gandy is WAY better than 275. Gandy actually backs up heading in to Tampa at night, though rarely the other way.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:28 AM

Thanks, everyone. I see...it wasn't Gandy that has tolls, it's Selmon Expressway, which is what Google Maps wants me to take once I get off Gandy. There are other roads I could take to get to my final destination, although they take up to 10 min longer. Anyway, it does sound like Gandy is the way to go from what everyone has said.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:30 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,382,917 times
If you are working in south Tampa, there is no need to get on the Selmon, because you're in S Tampa once you're over the Gandy.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:09 AM

Yeah, I was wrong. It's east Tampa. South Tampa would def be better, but that's not where this particular job opportunity is. I'll find out soon enough if I have to worry about such a thing.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:23 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,282,212 times
I frequently commute from NE St Pete (Shore Acres) to Ybor via Gandy and the Crosstown. I made it today after the morning rush hour in less than 25 minutes from 4th St N/62nd Ave to the middle of Ybor. I'm not a speed demon, either -- I don't drive more than a few mph over the limit. When they finish the Crosstown construction, I can probably knock a couple more minutes off my time.

275 might be a couple minutes shorter if the stars are aligned, but it could also be a 60+ minute trip if ANYTHING goes wrong (multiple accidents, rain, construction, old slow people congregating in left lane, wind, bridge jumper, couch in the middle lane of the Howard Frankland, etc). Gandy/Crosstown is a much lower risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay