Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2013, 05:42 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,283,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
As for the wealthy, they probably can afford to throw away that $730 yr, as only lady stated on here, she paid that much for tickets for kids to see Justin Beiber's concert.
That's just great -- I'll use that same argument when they catch me stealing my neighbor's nice new outdoor grill.

"they can afford to throw that away, since they have a nice car in the driveway."

Last edited by Sunscape; 07-29-2013 at 05:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 05:49 AM

35,703 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Comparison of doing something illegal- to use for the same argument.. wow.. well may you think along those lines ? back to building a transit system for all in the area to use, I'll contribute my fair share -no problem. At my age, may never get to use it, but maybe some poor Joe will.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:39 AM

257 posts, read 470,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post
That's just great -- I'll use that same argument when they catch me stealing my neighbor's nice new outdoor grill.

"they can afford to throw that away, since they have a nice car in the driveway."
Lol that's probably one of the worst analogies I've ever seen.

Poor rich people having to contribute to things used only by the common man. I feel so bad for those dudes with the $1 million houses.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:57 AM

663 posts, read 1,144,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp01358 View Post
Lol that's probably one of the worst analogies I've ever seen.

Poor rich people having to contribute to things used only by the common man. I feel so bad for those dudes with the $1 million houses.
Well, I don't agree with "make the rich guy pay for it". If its for the good of everyone, everyone should pay for it. It should be a percentage, so the rich guy Will be paying more, but the percentage should be the same for everyone. 1% of a million is a lot more than 1% of $30,000, but the guy making $30,000 is much more likely to utilize mass transit.
I personally believe mass transit Does help everyone, by spurring development, bringing in a much Larger tax base.
In places where transit is well established, everyone uses it, rich and poor. In smaller cities like Tampa, that mentality hasn't caught on yet. Everyone thinks it just for the poor.

I'm not a believer in punishing some one because they worked hard and are successful.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:59 AM

I wish if you didn't use it, you didn't have to pay for it.
I would save about thousands a year in property taxes that go to schools. I don't have kids, so it's not helping me. Basically if you have kids and don't mind me paying for their education, but You don't want to pay for mass transit, your kind of a hypocrite.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:11 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,991,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
Light rail into Tampa Airport.
TIA doesn't need light rail. Just use express bus lines. That's what Miami Airport does. They have a "flyer" bus line that goes directly from the airport to South Beach for a whole TWO DOLLARS. I took it and it was great.

Just get express lines from TIA to the beaches, downtown St Pete and downtown Tampa.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:37 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
TIA doesn't need light rail. Just use express bus lines. That's what Miami Airport does. They have a "flyer" bus line that goes directly from the airport to South Beach for a whole TWO DOLLARS. I took it and it was great.

Just get express lines from TIA to the beaches, downtown St Pete and downtown Tampa.
jsun - Exactly right, that's exactly what I have been saying for YEARS! That's all that is really needed. No need to spend untold billions!

Old 07-29-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyff67 View Post
Well, I don't agree with "make the rich guy pay for it". If its for the good of everyone, everyone should pay for it. It should be a percentage, so the rich guy Will be paying more, but the percentage should be the same for everyone. 1% of a million is a lot more than 1% of $30,000, but the guy making $30,000 is much more likely to utilize mass transit.
I personally believe mass transit Does help everyone, by spurring development, bringing in a much Larger tax base.
In places where transit is well established, everyone uses it, rich and poor. In smaller cities like Tampa, that mentality hasn't caught on yet. Everyone thinks it just for the poor.

I'm not a believer in punishing some one because they worked hard and are successful.

Everybody pays, and those that RIDE the thing- pay everytime they get on! the future will come and we need better transpoartation resources-- Just like building schools,,,I hope none of us have to repeat the 5th grade again... taxes are for the COMMUNITY not personal use? and I agree better transporation, more work more revenue and more people, which I think is the bigger issue, they dont want more people here.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Everybody pays, and those that RIDE the thing- pay everytime they get on! the future will come and we need better transpoartation resources-- Just like building schools,,,I hope none of us have to repeat the 5th grade again... taxes are for the COMMUNITY not personal use? and I agree better transporation, more work more revenue and more people, which I think is the bigger issue, they dont want more people here.
You do realize I am arguing FOR mass transit, right? You got the little guy smacking himself in head, like I don't get it or something.
I took public transportation non stop, till I moved down here. I took city buses to high school everyday, the El and subway to concerts, ball games and anytime we went to center city.

Anyway, maybe I misunderstood, but it seemed like you were trying to contradict me, but we are arguing in favor of the same thing!

Old 07-29-2013, 10:42 AM

no I am in agreement with you- just adding my two cents for all those naysayers who do NOT want anything built period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay