U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2013, 11:04 AM

8,706 posts, read 8,777,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
One thing is certain. Everyone including cities and states need to live and function within their means. I don't like a lot of things the governor does but at least he doesn't not put more burdens on the masses for the benefits of the few.
Exactly. And I also like what the Mayor of Tampa is doing.....for the most part. Not everything, but overall. He mentioned just yesterday about being "conservative" with the money. Using it wisely and not bloating the local government, even though things are getting much better. I feel very proud to have the governor we do and to have the area's city have the mayor they do. JMO of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post
It most certainly is. To state otherwise means that you have never looked at the financial statements of the project or have ever seen it in person. The City of Tampa and the especially residents of that neighborhood are on the hook for future deficits, since the Federal bucket o' money ran dry.

It is also similar to the current gimmicks of a light rail or "bullet" train (which would have been slower than driving, anyway), as the ridership projections and cost/revenue assumptions were a complete joke.

It's funny how the same people who love spending public money on foolish things will distance themselves from a failed project, while insisting "trust us again -- our next idea will be so much better!"

Yep. The area got lured by free federal money for the project, but in the end the local tax payers pay the price. This happens over and over and people keep falling for it. Hopefully the folks here realize this now. Even the great Mayor of Tampa seems to understand that part. He is stuck between a rock and a hard place with this particular failed transit system now. I feel bad for him.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:34 AM

292 posts, read 527,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
You just hit on a peeve of mine. Math requirements are not strong enough in schools for people to understand this concept. To much push on social science instead of real world math for people to see what the facts of infrastructure are.

Apparently not spelling either.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:36 AM

20,061 posts, read 12,033,509 times
Oh no-- the teachers out again-

Old 07-26-2013, 01:21 PM

2,261 posts, read 1,555,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
Yep. The area got lured by free federal money for the project, but in the end the local tax payers pay the price. This happens over and over and people keep falling for it. Hopefully the folks here realize this now. Even the great Mayor of Tampa seems to understand that part. He is stuck between a rock and a hard place with this particular failed transit system now. I feel bad for him.
Just like the bullet train, everyone wanted Gov Scott to take the federal money. I'm sure there were lots of strings and the money to keep it running. Everyone just wants everything as long as someone else pays for it.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:47 PM

186,938 posts, read 76,722,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
Just like the bullet train, everyone wanted Gov Scott to take the federal money. I'm sure there were lots of strings and the money to keep it running. Everyone just wants everything as long as someone else pays for it.
Bulls eye. Right on target. And knowing where the feds get the money to start with is what is so often over looked.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:55 PM

4,586 posts, read 4,605,035 times
Quote:
.........you were correct.

Classic example of why mass transit simple will not work in Tampa Bay.

Tampa's streetcar running into financial trouble - WFLA-TV News Channel 8

"if the streetcar line closes, the city of Tampa will have to repay 31-million dollars to the federal government that was used for construction.

Suarez says, "Until we find a way of funding it from another source instead besides just the endowment and some of the assessments from the money we get from the port and the city, we're never going to be a successful streetcar system."
That's because there's nobody going anywhere within this city. Its too dead. The people are in the suburbs. PT should be where the people are.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
That's because there's nobody going anywhere within this city. Its too dead. The people are in the suburbs. PT should be where the people are.
I think you have a very valid point about the city. First you need to create interest in being in the city more, THEN work on public transit. Not build public transit and then say they will come. I think the mayor is doing one heck of a job trying to make Tampa (more downtown) a place to be beyond just working hours. It will take time, but I think he is getting there.

Great post PhotoProIP! JMO of course.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:27 PM

4,586 posts, read 4,605,035 times
Quote:
I think you have a very valid point about the city. First you need to create interest in being in the city more, THEN work on public transit. Not build public transit and then say they will come. I think the mayor is doing one heck of a job trying to make Tampa (more downtown) a place to be beyond just working hours. It will take time, but I think he is getting there.

Great post PhotoProIP! JMO of course.
This thing with "built it and they'll come" us BS, and a huge gamble with tax payers money!
I'm all for PT but only if it works, and is time sensitive, othewise I have no desire to spend hours in it, or wating for it.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
This thing with "built it and they'll come" us BS, and a huge gamble with tax payers money!
I'm all for PT but only if it works, and is time sensitive, othewise I have no desire to spend hours in it, or wating for it.
I hear ya and I'm with you....except I personally don't want to use it. That's why I would prefer a very slow, limited and targeted approach instead. Have them prove it works here a little bit at a time, before going all out. JMO of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay