Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 07:30 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,424,754 times

Advertisements

Guess that doesn't help for someone who might not have a lot of money and is living off blue-collar income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 06:11 PM

2 posts, read 2,845 times
As stated before by several others. South Tampa is by far going to be your best bet, great area, good schools (especially Plant High School, there's a high demand to go there). The prices in South Tampa are reasonably more expensive though, but it is the safest and nicest part of Tampa. But Westchase and Carrolwood are also both great locations to move too. I would try to stay clear from Seminole Heights, New Tampa, and West Tampa. One or two of those areas may be up for further discuss on overall being a good or bad area, but for the most part I would try my best to not move there. If you don't mind the "open" feel of lots of land, not too many neighbors, and a slowly upcoming area you could move towards the Lutz or Wesley Chappel areas, which aren't bad but are reasonably out of the way, depending on where your jobs are located. Personally, I feel like my next area to try and move to would be Brandon, right around the mall, it has a great meal, lots of restaurants, and a decent community!

Old 08-01-2013, 04:32 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlwl8521 View Post
There is a high chance of my wife and I moving to Tampa. From what I understand, the real estate is affordable, the weather is nice, there are big employers in the Tampa/St Petersberg region, the traffic is tolerable

We are are educated professionals and don't want to end up in a neighborhood where we can't walk around at night without fear of being mugged, carjacked, raped, or murdered. Please don't hold any punches: just tell me where the nasty parts of Tampa are and where the good parts of Tampa are. I want my kid to grow up able to a public school without deadbeat teachers and 12 year old dealing drugs in the classroom.
You sound like you are going to move to Tampa site unseen relying solely on what is said on this internet forum, Do yourself a favor and at least rent for a year to get the lay of the land so to speak and then make a more informed decision of what areas will be to your liking.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:41 AM

663 posts, read 1,144,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
You could almost go by housing prices to determine the best neighborhoods...
Agreed!

$100 or less per sq/ft = Bad
$100-$150 per sq/ft = OK
$150 or more per sq/ft = Good

Old 08-03-2013, 06:16 AM

2,576 posts, read 1,748,750 times
Westchase area right next to Oldsmar(Pinellas County) safest area newer homes.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:18 AM

626 posts, read 1,348,020 times
If you want to walk around at night and have great schools, I would recommend staying out of Sulphur Springs, Tampa Heights, Ybor, Palmetto Beach, Suitcase city, anything along Main, 275 or I4...... Your best bet would be South Tampa (South of Kennedy Blvd, North of Gandy Blvd, East of Dale Mabry, West of Bayshore).

Old 08-05-2013, 04:53 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,694,737 times
Safe starts with you. You can and should check the crime statistics for any area you visit. You should carry your own protection. You should avoid obvious risks as if you fail to do that then the crime statistics for the area will suggest what you may experience. www.trulia.com/crime and www.crimemapping.com and www.ucrdatatool.gov/search/crime/local and the FBI and others. Also know that local authorities in all areas underreport crime as police are only a reactive force and for political purpose.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:52 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,451,688 times
I live in New Tampa - and I love it here. I'm not sure why people are saying bad things about it. Sure, it's a bit of a drive to get to a lot of the rest of Tampa, but as long as I live in Tampa, I don't plan on moving. I live by a nature preserve and every night and I hear so much wild life and I see deer too!

There is a nice mall up the road (Shops at Wiregrass in Wesley Chapel) and it's a a safe area. There are a good amount of chain restaurants in the area (Olive Garden, Chili's, Red Lobster) and a few local places too.

Old 08-25-2013, 03:05 PM

30,425 posts, read 21,234,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red3311 View Post
^lol according to that map, the whole city is considered "unsafe" except for South Tampa, New Tampa, Westchase and Citrus Park
Danashores is the best of all the areas. TNC has turned into a gang banger heaven.

Old 08-25-2013, 03:44 PM

552 posts, read 720,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdubose View Post
If you want to walk around at night and have great schools, I would recommend staying out of Sulphur Springs, Tampa Heights, Ybor, Palmetto Beach, Suitcase city, anything along Main, 275 or I4...... Your best bet would be South Tampa (South of Kennedy Blvd, North of Gandy Blvd, East of Dale Mabry, West of Bayshore).
There is no reason to avoid the area of South Tampa west of Dale Mabry, curious as to what your reasoning for that is. Culbreth Isles gangsters?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay