Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 07:13 PM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,813,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Hey guess what! Instead of throwing them in jail, how about some rehab? this would be booming business here considering how many move here without a job, or become so underpaid they become homeless. REHAB them! They can pay back once they're functional again. They can spend that 6mil on a facility, hire some behavior people, nurses etc and rehab them rather than waste money throwing them in jail, only to throw them out again later...break this vicious cycle.
There are organizations for that - and you're right on the money. The problem is, they operate from subsidies, funding, etc. and sometimes they can only offer so much because of budget constraints. It was a real eye opener talking to my friend. At least in her organization, it's not enough to be homeless. You need to qualify in order to be eligible for transitional assistance. From there, you can get health care and mental health care, and on and on it goes. I thought it was a more automatic process but I guess not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 07:37 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,586,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Do they have a history of drug or criminal behavior. Do they have mental disorders? Would be interesting to know the underlying reasons.
Turn on to CNN, they're talking about a drug court program that cleans those addicted to crap.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:41 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,275,077 times
Throwing money down the drain, IMO.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:08 PM

6,594 posts, read 4,970,600 times
Quote:
Hey guess what! Instead of throwing them in jail, how about some rehab? this would be booming business here considering how many move here without a job, or become so underpaid they become homeless. REHAB them! They can pay back once they're functional again. They can spend that 6mil on a facility, hire some behavior people, nurses etc and rehab them rather than waste money throwing them in jail, only to throw them out again later...break this vicious cycle.
Throwing them in jail is big business, jails are a booming business. Not for the tax payer.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:53 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,301,693 times
The primary cause isn't the government or the culture, it's the weather. Tampa doesn't have the bitter cold winters that make living on the streets impossible or at least extremely uncomfortable.

Quote:
They're being arrested for loitering or trespassing
That sounds harsh, but where are they being arrested? The article doesn't say. Most likely, the police are saying to them "Stop hanging out in the nicest gathering spots in town. Go somewhere else." In other words, this policy is probably not nearly as harsh as the article implies.

Quote:
Hey guess what! Instead of throwing them in jail, how about some rehab?
You can't rehab someone who doesn't WANT to quit drugs.

Last edited by roadtrip75; 07-26-2013 at 09:23 PM..

Old 07-26-2013, 10:09 PM

35,421 posts, read 20,786,793 times
Marc Sarnoff the comish, will eventually get blasted for trying to arrest the homeless for eating etc. in public. The article reads the 6000 homeless was reduced considerably when they were taken to shelters and I know the Camillus house expanded to help the homeless. I can remember mcdonalds would donate their night's left over etc etc. instead of trashing it. Be grateful you have your mind and education and stamina to work n have a home... but my motto is NEVER look down on anyone,,, you dont know what happened to them.. many on drugs many mentally sick and many emotionally. I can tell you many a little gal/ young man is in the streets because of sexual abuse at home... and won't say more, so have a little compassion.., didnt ask for your money- just compassion.

Old 07-27-2013, 03:07 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,487,756 times
Most times, homelessness is a choice.
There has always been a safety net in operation and sufficient funding to provide accomodation for people who are unable to do so for themselves.
Likewise soup kitchens and charitable organisations mean no one has to starve on the streets either.
There are also plenty of rehab facilties available for people wishing to eradicate drugs and alcohol from their lives.
But the choice many make is to ignore these and beg or steal to survive instead.
For those who don't make these choices they also have the right to expect their neighbourhoods to be free of vagrants and their politicians and police to enforce the laws.
Otherwise the scumbags take over and the quality of life for everyone rapidly deteriorates.
As a poster points out above, see how you would feel if a wino sets up camp outside your home.

Old 07-27-2013, 04:20 AM

It is really pathetic that we allow our citizens to get this low.

"Blaming" them is probably even worst...how would you feel if every where you whet you got rejected? would that make you feel happy? content with your life? do you think these people end up on drugs just cause? maybe some do, but I strongly believe that if given a good opportunity to restore themselves, they will.

We unfortunately live in a very selfish society that doesn't think or care about the next door neighbor, which is why you don't find many places in Florida that have a sense of community. Those who came here from elsewhere think of themselves as "they arrived", and have this elevated demeanor that doesn't help the community, like helping restore the homeless? Please show me how many moved here and are now famous for doing something for the community, and please don't mention that small patch of delusional's with big boobs that live in ST. Some of these folks did have a neighbor at some point, who was most likely completely unaware of their troubles, or if they were they didn't offer to help! Its like I-4...everyone stares but nobody stops to help out!

Jails shouldn't be big business. You kill? you get killed; Thanks! No need to waste tax payers money to keep you on a death row for 20 years! You steal, you should get punished publicly...public embarrassment is a very good medicine, and if you are truly homeless due to divorce, job loss etc (cause nobody is born and first their thought of what to do when all grown up is to become homeless) you should have a place to go to get re-habed if you've explored all avenues and nothing worked. Making "assumptions" on these people is THE WORST thing one can do. You don't know them, or where they came from, or what "really" happened to them. I don't think someone making $55k per year wakes up one day and goes: "Starting today, I am going to be living in the streets, and begging for money"! let's be serious here.

Old 07-27-2013, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Most times, homelessness is a choice.
There has always been a safety net in operation and sufficient funding to provide accomodation for people who are unable to do so for themselves.
Likewise soup kitchens and charitable organisations mean no one has to starve on the streets either.
There are also plenty of rehab facilties available for people wishing to eradicate drugs and alcohol from their lives.
But the choice many make is to ignore these and beg or steal to survive instead.
For those who don't make these choices they also have the right to expect their neighbourhoods to be free of vagrants and their politicians and police to enforce the laws.
Otherwise the scumbags take over and the quality of life for everyone rapidly deteriorates.
As a poster points out above, see how you would feel if a wino sets up camp outside your home.

Except for these soup kitchens, are these rehab places free? you do realize these folks don't have an income and benefits supporting rehabs! and if they are not employed where are they supposed to find money exactly to pay for these rehabs?

I agree there are true scumbags, and I too would call the cops if I see one around our home...but why should they live on tax payers money in jails rather than be made to work like the rest of us??

Old 07-28-2013, 01:54 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,301,693 times
Quote:
Making "assumptions" on these people is THE WORST thing one can do. You don't know them, or where they came from, or what "really" happened to them.
We aren't talking about individuals. We're talking about a group. To discuss a group's behavior, you have to make assumptions and generalizations.

Put another way: Should we start a separate City Data thread for each individual homeless person in the Tampa Bay area? That seems like it would be a waste of resources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay