U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 11:20 AM

20,044 posts, read 11,979,129 times

Advertisements

FBI raids rescue 105 kids forced into prostitution | Breaking Tampa Bay, Florida and national news and weather from Tampa Bay Online and The Tampa Tribune | TBO.com as I mentioned on an earlier post,,, these are some of your homeless --some are not rescued and live in the streets as adults
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 11:25 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,043,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
I really dislike the ones that make signs. 99% of them are just lazy or scam artists. There are two I always see. The one with the fake limp on Westshore/Kennedy and there's one on Westshore/Gandy that walks around with a sign while smoking a pack of cigarettes!!!
some look healthy and should join the military and do something for their country -

Old 07-29-2013, 11:57 AM

2,827 posts, read 3,190,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
see ponzi schemers- they rip you off in the millions not just a $1.
Exactly, just like the government and social security.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:14 PM

10,604 posts, read 14,085,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl777 View Post
I'm sure there are some homeless people who are homeless because they are basically lazy bums, but I think the majority are homeless for two reasons:

1.) They can't find a job.
2.) They can't hold down a job because they are mentally unable to do so.

When we were living in Spring Hill, a friend of ours alerted us to two homeless guys living in the woods. We went to meet them and see what their story was. My heart immediately broke for them - they were so thin and frail! In a nutshell, they had both been involved in the construction industry and had no education beyond that, so when the construction jobs dried up, so did their money. They both lost their homes and vehicles, found each other, and ended up in the woods living in a tent with just the bare essentials. One of them was well enough to work, so he would go out each day and look for day jobs … anything, really … mowing lawns, odd construction jobs, etc. He had COPD, so he was somehwhat limited on what he could do physically. The other one was more sickly, so he stayed behind to watch their stuff so no one would steal it.

We asked what we could do to help, and the one who was healthy enough to work showed us his shoes. They construction boots and they were a size too small and had holes in them. He asked if we knew of anyone who had newer construction shoes he could have. Anyway, we went to Target that day and not only bought him a pair of new construction boots, but also a bunch of new clothes. I made them a huge breakfast casserole and brought it to them the next day. Along with several of our friends, we continued to feed and care for them until we ended up moving.

The last time I checked, they had saved enough money and received enough help to purchase a small used camper. They are now able to drive to various job sites and keep their things safe so they can both work. The sickly one was able to work again once he'd gained weight and gotten proper health care. From what I've heard from my friends, the one who was in better shape is now in driving school to get his CDL to drive trucks.

If my friends and I hadn't stepped up to learn their story and help them, who knows what would have happened to them? Instead, we decided to look into their story and help out. I simply cannot stand the thought of another human being starving to death.

There's another man we've been helping out in Clearwater. He stands on the corner each Sunday when we get out of church. He has no teeth, and there is obviously something mentally off with him. He's very sweet, but you can just tell he isn't right in the head. People like that simply aren't able to work because they aren't "right" and the state no longer has mental hospitals to house them. Few people CHOOSE to be homeless and beg for money. What normal person would want to do that?

I don't know … I'm sure I'm a sucker sometimes. But I believe very strongly that we reap what we sow. I feel like my family and I have been very blessed, so the least we can do is give back a portion of what we've been given to make sure someone doesn't go hungry.
Wrong. Maybe you want to research topics to help you determine your points of view.

The country decided under Liberals, to allow mentally ill people to live free on the streets under Kennedy - The Community Mental Health Act. In their idealistic state controlled world, everybody would WANT treatment and schizophrenics and addicts would ALL take their medicine. LOL yeah right. OK well you guys got what you wanted and now can only complain about various states' solutions to dealing with the federal government's interference.

And there ARE mental hospitals, Florida State for one.

And ANYBODY can be Baker acted if they meet the criteria. So this myth that you can't involuntarily commit someone is hogwash, too.

The question is why you didn't allow the perfectly innocent charming homeless people you met to live in your home. And I'm being 100% serious with that question.

IT's also hilarious that there's another thread here, among many, bashing churches and people of faith, who are traditionally the first point of help for the community.

Lastly, at this point in time there is no excuse for being drug addict. EVERYBODY knows once you start your life is never the same and it's not MY PROBLEM to pay for "your" poor choices - which I'm already doing within this ridiculous tax system we're slaves to, anyway. NOt to mention free MEALS for everyone's kids, too.

It's illegal to panhandle in Jacksonville. Guess what. Nobody panhandles. Not even the "mentally ill". PERIOD.

FYI a cop in Jacksonville told me criminals are moving down from Georgia to Florida pretending to be homeless. That was after a crack head tried to steal a dog from me in broad daylight doing a dog walking job. He wasn't nuts or high, he carefully looked all around at the city ambassadors to see if they saw him after I kicked him you-know-where and chased him off and down the street screaming like a lunatic utilizing my Philly city of murder skills.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 07-29-2013 at 12:26 PM..

Old 07-29-2013, 01:48 PM

20,044 posts, read 11,979,129 times
quote {It's illegal to panhandle in Jacksonville. Guess what. Nobody panhandles. Not even the "mentally ill". PERIOD.}

wow wouldnt want to live near you- might just send me to looney bin. and as for Jax, just drug sales on evey street,, so no need to be homeless,,,just sell drugs. Kuddos for the churches that do help the poor, and for those that don't,, God has their number- people are so ticked here about the poor - they have been with us and will always be with us... because that is life, good n bad happens in different ways to different people... dont want to know what you would do with them all,,,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or