U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2013, 04:42 AM

2,056 posts, read 2,472,531 times

Advertisements

This may be an impossible question, but are there more locals in the Tampa/St. Pete area vs Volusia county? We live in S.Daytona, and I'm in Daytona Beach or New Smyrna Beach nearly every day (S. Daytona is great to live in, but nothing to do). I love New Smyrna, and there's a few things I like in Daytona Beach. But some of the people, how do I put this politely, are often just not my cup of tea. Many can be loud, ill mannered, and rude. I'm originally from the Gulf Coast area, and east coasters are just not a good fit for me. We're like dogs and cats.

I understand that Florida is a different animal compared to other Southern areas, but w/ Volusia county's close proximity to up North, it seems that many of the types I'm discussing here settle in an area that stretches from Ormond to New Smyrna, and apparently never venture further. This is not a flame on East Coasters. I love New Yorkers, if we're talking about the city itself. To me they're sort of speeded up Southerners. Very direct, and not necessarily ill mannered, just faster. I'd live there in a you-know-what second, except it's too expensive and far too cold. But the others, wherever they may be from, are a trial. I often think there's a big argument going on, when it's just a couple of Yankees talking in their normal voices outside at a cafe! And don't get me started on people on cell phones and undisciplined children in restaurants and other public areas. My wife, who is from Hawaii, is constantly asking me "Why are these people always shouting and staring?"

As I said, don't mean to bash others, and if you like this sort of thing, fine, but I could do w/o it. There's probably a ton of East Coast people that get highly annoyed at us Southerners too (if you can FIND any where I live). We're probably seen as too slow, our accents annoy them, etc.

Last edited by smarino; 07-27-2013 at 05:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 05:37 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,490,043 times
In my experience, the more rural areas of Florida are where the natives usually reside. (With that said, my family and I are natives - third generation, actually - and we are on the coast.)

The Tampa Bay area, on the whole, is extremely transient. We have many people coming from the North and the Midwest.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:18 PM

733 posts, read 1,302,941 times
It's extremely transient here, too. I but I feel it would be less over there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or