U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 05:49 PM

10 posts, read 8,106 times

Advertisements

Keep in mind your CDD is added into your taxes, but HOA is out of pocket. I love the perks that the CDD provides. The communities are nice. We live in a gated villa in Wesley Chapel. We have community pool, gym, tennis courts, private playgrounds and all the maintenance is don by who are hired by the CDD trustees. If you total up what it would cost you to join a gym or pay to use a local political adds ups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 07:44 AM

3,313 posts, read 4,290,432 times
Most people forget to mention how crowd the amenities within CDD community are getting. So example, look at Seven Oaks -getting I the gym or in the pool is a nightmare. It's nice to have it only if you are planning to use it. Because if you are not - you still have to pay CDD (and you can cancel gym membership if you change your mind).
Looking at tennis courts and knowing how many thousands of people live within the community it feels about 1% of residents are using it, but still paying for it.

Wait for everything getting old. If there are not enough money in reserves, second part, maint. part of CDD can be increased to keep up. Most communities with CDD are about 15 year old or younger, so it's hard to predict what's going to happen when more costly repairs are needed.

There are other communities that offer pool and playground and have no CDD. You can easily save 20K-30K in 30 years. I guess the key is - use the amenities you are paying for

Old 09-07-2016, 07:52 AM

And to answer the question about nice community without CDD in Wesley Chapel/New Tampa area - my vote is going to Arbor Woods - there are no CDD fee and HOA covers pool, kids water splash, gate. The also advertise walking trails which is nice - not many communities offer it. The location of the community is the best in my opinion. Not directly off SR 56, but closer than most to interstate - few minutes and you are there but far enough not to hear any interstate noise! (I-75/ I-275). Close to shops/restaurants and you don't need 15 minutes just to get out of the community to get to SR 56/54. The size of the community is also perfect - not too big and not too small, so people will not feel overcrowded and it's not too few homes in case HOA need to collect money for anything (I know one community with only 30 homes and when the community needed roadway repair homeowners ended up collecting a lot of money to cover the expenses).

Old 09-07-2016, 10:22 AM

25,780 posts, read 38,999,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
Most people forget to mention how crowd the amenities within CDD community are getting. So example, look at Seven Oaks -getting I the gym or in the pool is a nightmare. It's nice to have it only if you are planning to use it. Because if you are not - you still have to pay CDD (and you can cancel gym membership if you change your mind).
Looking at tennis courts and knowing how many thousands of people live within the community it feels about 1% of residents are using it, but still paying for it.

Wait for everything getting old. If there are not enough money in reserves, second part, maint. part of CDD can be increased to keep up. Most communities with CDD are about 15 year old or younger, so it's hard to predict what's going to happen when more costly repairs are needed.

There are other communities that offer pool and playground and have no CDD. You can easily save 20K-30K in 30 years. I guess the key is - use the amenities you are paying for
Depends on the time. Not sure when you were at the fitness for the last time?

One of my family members goes there on a regular base and usually there with one other person for more than 1 hour and is not going during business hours!

Regarding the tennis courts for our personal use...we don't use it much but if we want to use it we can and of course it is personal preference, but I'm glad that if we want to play we can use it. If there aren't tennis courts than where to go as not many places rent them per hour.

Aside from that the community you happen to use for your example, offers so much more that lots of people seem to like and don't mind paying for as it is well maintained and hardly any bad maintained property like some communities dealt with.

The location and to get either to St. Rd 54 or St Rd 56 or Bruce b Downs without any traffic issues is also a benefit as well as the fitness/bike trail.

But of course I'm a little biased as I really like Seven Oaks for many reasons.

Aside from that from a professional point of view if you compare CDD fees in the area than Seven Oaks has still a very reasonable CDD/HOA fee compared to many other communities.

In the end home buyers/owners will either be willing to have a CDD/HOA or not as many don't like to deal with that and luckily there are many communities that either don't have a CDD and just HOA or neither of them and buyers/owners don't mind to deal with a trailer next door or dealing with car wrecks next to a nice maintained home.

Old 09-07-2016, 12:25 PM

3,002 posts, read 1,656,925 times
I live in Lutz. Pasco side. I pay $300 a year in HOA fees. I pay $2600 a year for both capital and O&M combined. So my total is around 3k a year. Do I like paying 2600 a year on CDD? No of course not. However when I see what other communities are getting away with I cant say much lol. Plus look at all these communities going up on 54. Asturia..Bexley,,West Bay...Long Lake Ranch... Starkey Ranch. All CDD communities.

Old 09-07-2016, 12:47 PM

25,780 posts, read 38,999,165 times
Unfortunately due to the market the County had to start maintaining areas where builders backed out and some got slammed with such a high binds that CDD's are higher in these areas with less amenities.

It is part of the housing/economy.

I don't think anyone likes to pay for it but in the end if you are getting some amenities in return that you like as well as a well maintained community than many buyers will enjoy the community more than some of the less maintained communities.

Old 09-07-2016, 01:14 PM

29 posts, read 22,903 times
There are a few communities on the Hwy 54 corridor that fit your description.

One in particular would be Ivy Lake Estates on Hwy 54 near the Suncoast.

Also, there are "new" communities that do have CDD but houses are energy efficient or "green" that the differences in the electric bill more than make up for CDD's.

Last edited by Sunscape; 09-08-2016 at 07:57 AM..

Old 09-07-2016, 01:16 PM

29 posts, read 22,903 times
Ivy Lake Estates doesn't have CDD. Gated and gorgeous neighborhood. Most of the houses have pools so no "community pool".

Mod edit: RE soliciting is not allowed.

Last edited by Sunscape; 09-08-2016 at 04:58 AM..

Old 09-07-2016, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
I live in Lutz. Pasco side. I pay $300 a year in HOA fees. I pay $2600 a year for both capital and O&M combined. So my total is around 3k a year. Do I like paying 2600 a year on CDD? No of course not. However when I see what other communities are getting away with I cant say much lol. Plus look at all these communities going up on 54. Asturia..Bexley,,West Bay...Long Lake Ranch... Starkey Ranch. All CDD communities.
This is exactly why people end up in communities with CDD - because most of them have it, which leave no choice pretty much. And developers love CDDs even more - zero investment into community development - all is done on borrowed money which residents will be paying off for 30 years.
As I said before, there is nothing wrong about CDD and HOA as long as you are willing to pay. $2600 a year for CDD sound crazy. Hopefully no neighbors will be struggling paying it so bond with not go into default (which happened to many communities during last housing bubble or right after it busted)
As for me - I like flexibility and like to have a choice - to pay for something I like/ use and not to pay when I want to take a break.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:09 PM

7,928 posts, read 17,755,673 times
Coming from NJ, we looked at every new construction in Land O lakes and most of Wesley Chapel...All single family homes...For the life of me I can not phathom paying 6000k a year in property taxes...I have a 3 bedroom 3 Strory townhome 2200 sq ft with outdoor pool and indoor pool and the taxes are 6000k yes no where near as nice and its not single family however I think it is insane what these communities charge for CDD on top of your HOA...We love the homes and cant wait to get to that area, and yes we will eventually buy in a community that has a CDD but I was just floored when the sales gals told us depending on the price of the home all in what it would be and it ranged between 5400 and 6400 a year in taxes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or