Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2007, 05:27 AM

4 posts, read 14,873 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are planning a relo to the Tampa/St. Pete area. We visited many parts of the metro and really like the downtown St. Pete area, in particulary the NE neighborhoods. As a prospective home buyer the only draw backs we saw were the large number of "For Rent" signs and on street parking congestion. Is this a new and growing trend? I'm concerned we'll buy a beautiful home and watch the area go more and more rental, especially with a growing USF. Looking for local wisdom and advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 05:58 AM

46 posts, read 134,010 times
This is a GREAT area for the most part. Much of the neighborhood will have single family homes next to apartment buildings, or single family homes that have been converted to duplexes, many of the larger homes have garage apartments that are rented out or used as guest houses. A real mix. The further north of downtown you get towards Snell Isle, the more residential, the higher the housing prices. I think that many of the homes that are for rent right now are because the owners do not have to sell, and can get the rent to hold on to the property for the long term. Keep in mind that the real estate market in Florida is watching to see what will happen with the vote on property taxes. That will impact the market somewhat, how much, however, remains to be seen. Old NE is very popular, and close to the action with a neighborhood feel that is hard to find around here. Best of luck in your move, and welcome!

Old 11-13-2007, 06:03 AM

428 posts, read 1,472,528 times
NE St. Pete has always had a large number of rental properties, apartments, and garage aparments. But since the housing market slid, the numbers are growing, simply due to demand. Many apartment complexes were converted to condos. Now that homes are not moving, some of the investors that held on in areas like Old NE are renting them out. Most of the rentals you see are closer to downtown as opposed to the northern part of old NE. Also, many of the old flophouses and halfway homes have been torn down, so your renters are of a much "higher caliber".

I think it's safe to assume that the growth of USF is fueling part of the rental market there, but they are building more dorms downtown so I don't know if it will last.

As for street parking- always there- though I believe all of NE has alley access.

Bottom line with the old NE- I have never known a person who bought there that did not see a major appreciation in value. It's simply one of the the most desirable parts of St. Pete

Old 11-13-2007, 06:34 AM

Default Property Tax Vote?

Quote:
Originally Posted by klinkette57 View Post
This is a GREAT area for the most part. Much of the neighborhood will have single family homes next to apartment buildings, or single family homes that have been converted to duplexes, many of the larger homes have garage apartments that are rented out or used as guest houses. A real mix. The further north of downtown you get towards Snell Isle, the more residential, the higher the housing prices. I think that many of the homes that are for rent right now are because the owners do not have to sell, and can get the rent to hold on to the property for the long term. Keep in mind that the real estate market in Florida is watching to see what will happen with the vote on property taxes. That will impact the market somewhat, how much, however, remains to be seen. Old NE is very popular, and close to the action with a neighborhood feel that is hard to find around here. Best of luck in your move, and welcome!
Thanks for your comments. I'm not familiar with the property tax vote...? Milage rate appears to be above 23, which is HIGH. Do you know what the proposed increase is?

Old 11-13-2007, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by relo to florida View Post
Thanks for your comments. I'm not familiar with the property tax vote...? Milage rate appears to be above 23, which is HIGH. Do you know what the proposed increase is?
The property tax bill will, supposedly, reduce property taxes by increasing the exemption and a number of other facets to try and fix a flawed system.

St. Pete has been reducing milage for the past ten years, but since values went up, so did collections. The County lowered its millage this past year. our taxes went down a couple hundred. but having bought in our house before the boom hit, we don't really pay that much.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:10 AM

Location: I live in St. Petersburg Florida, for 25 years now.
5 posts, read 16,569 times
Hello, I agree with Angler- the values in the NE are holding there own better than any other area in my opinion. Moderator cut: realtor ad

Last edited by jessiegirl_98; 11-13-2007 at 12:35 PM..

Old 11-14-2007, 04:28 AM

What are your thoughts on Placido Bayou, Coffee Pot, Cresent Heights or Cresent Lakes vs. the old NE section? We're wanting an area that is within walking distance of the park, museum, activities - these neighborhoods seem a bit far. Do they have the same feel as the old NE or is it suburbia - just closer in?

Old 11-14-2007, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by relo to florida View Post
What are your thoughts on Placido Bayou, Coffee Pot, Cresent Heights or Cresent Lakes vs. the old NE section? We're wanting an area that is within walking distance of the park, museum, activities - these neighborhoods seem a bit far. Do they have the same feel as the old NE or is it suburbia - just closer in?
Coffee Pot is actually bleeds into old NE. If you get close to the mouth of the bayou/Northshore Park, it's not too much of a walk to downtown.

Coffee POt is nice- again a farther walk.

Placido Bayou- really nice area, very expensive- definitely need to drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: