Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 04:28 AM

8,488 posts, read 20,560,597 times

Advertisements

While it may be beneficial to slow down a bit if there is a torrential downpour it doesn't mean you need to slow down to 30 in a 50 MPH zone when the slightest rain starts coming down. If you don't want to drive in the rain just pull over and let the rest of us who aren't scared to drive in the rain get by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 04:44 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,254,800 times
Was caught in one of those torrential downpours the other day while driving down I75. I swear, every other driver had their hazards flashing. I nearly slammed on my brakes when I saw the first one, thinking a nasty wreck was ahead.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:45 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,813,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
I've noticed that often people drive carelessly here in the rain, especially the heavy rain, and the results remind me of people driving in the snow up north.

And yes, I'm one of those who sometimes switches on the hazard blinkers if the rain is very heavy. I'll even pull over sometimes if it's a washout. Safety first.
This is exactly what I was thinking reading this thread. So I guess I'll simply be switching snow for rain, lol

Old 08-20-2013, 06:53 AM

641 posts, read 1,016,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
If you don't want to drive in the rain just pull over and let the rest of us who aren't scared to drive in the rain get by.
amen, and when you are PULLED OVER then put your hazard lights on!

Old 08-20-2013, 08:48 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,973,476 times
Well tinytrump, if you are stuck in flooded waters, driving fast is a way to try and prevent engines from flooding. This is because the bumper pushes more water around the car and out of the engine bay.

Driving slow through flooded waters increases the chance of engine damage. That's probably why people drive fast through the flooded water if they can't get around it... they're being, you know... smart.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:51 AM

35,368 posts, read 20,747,842 times
Normal rain requires some slowing down BECAUSE some can't drive in it and it is a prooven fact that there are more accidents-so don't be afraid, but don't put others at risk either! Flooding streets and the havock caused by driving too fast is dangerous. Maybe you drive a 4x4 dually, I have a small Toyota. - and whatever happened to Curtesy on the Road? or safety! People die from morons who drove crazy and made others crash while they go on their merry way.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:11 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,973,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Normal rain requires some slowing down BECAUSE some can't drive in it and it is a prooven fact that there are more accidents-so don't be afraid, but don't put others at risk either! Flooding streets and the havock caused by driving too fast is dangerous. Maybe you drive a 4x4 dually, I have a small Toyota. - and whatever happened to Curtesy on the Road? or safety! People die from morons who drove crazy and made others crash while they go on their merry way.
Then don't drive when it's rainy out. You are causing accidents by driving too slow. The new left lane law must have been made for people with your mindset.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:24 AM

484 posts, read 757,585 times
It is just idiotic to keep going the speed limit when visibility is so poor. Slowing down is absolutely the smart thing to do.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:31 AM

35,368 posts, read 20,747,842 times
No honey- I know how to drive, and actually had a job driving, and taken the motorcycle safety course. so it is NOT about me. I am more afraid of your driving - I will always encourage safety on the road. And what is it in this forum that people are always suggesting folks go elsewhere or not to drive when they have NO choices,,, I don't get that- I personally am terrifed when I see the very elderly driving who cant see or hear or hardly walk- but they are on the road,,, so be it.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:22 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,126,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamatem View Post
It is just idiotic to keep going the speed limit when visibility is so poor. Slowing down is absolutely the smart thing to do.
Well, that's what I always thought, but apparently we're living in times of magical thinking, where up is down, black is white, left is right, etc.

I guess, when I'm driving through water and my brakes go out from getting wet, I should just speed up and slew all over the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay