Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 07:09 AM

137 posts, read 742,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobraboy View Post
It's been almost 2 months and am still struggling to like Tampa....not that I had a choice in moving here

- This place has no "living" historic areas
- No restaurants worth anything
- Traffic - you gotta see the volume to believe it, the traffic lights are SOOOO F*ING LOOOONGGG
- People drive like maniacs here
- You'd think the people would be more active with the weather being nice - the people are fat and ugly and you don't see anyone walking around - the tennis courts are empty, the swimming pools are empty, the jogging trails are empty
- If you are an active, younger adult (20s, 30s, 40s), you'd be hard pressed to find others like you
- If are a white collar worker with higher level of education from a good university, you'd be hard pressed to find others like you
- This place is like a huge suburb of 2 million lower middle class, blue collar people with hobos mixed in
- the houses are CHEAAAPPP with absolutely no character at all
- The beaches are waaay overated.
- This is not a cosmopolitan place at all
- Auto insurance is ridiculous because of nitwit drivers
- They consider themselves "the South" but I don't think that's correct at all. "The South" had some culture, but Tampa has zilch.
- If you are thinking this is somewhat of an ocean-side community - it's not and neither does it feel like it.
- The less said about their voting patterns the better - but it's not surprising considering the way they think (or not).
Boy arent you misrable.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:34 AM

132 posts, read 471,347 times
Well, just my 2 cents worth...I agree with the negative stuff posted here by needachange and kobraboy though I don't totally agree with how it was said, truth is truth. So many folks come here and visit and then think this is the perfect paradise. Its not! We function here, or try to. I am extremely overweight, though having just lost 147 pounds, am finding myself more active. On a recent trip to NE I did notice that folks there were much slimmer and more active. They all walk every where, even those taking the T must go up these stairs, down those over there, then you have to walk from the station to where you are going. This may sound like a hassle, but its keep them healthy. I lost an additional 10 pounds while there and ate pretty darn good! though had to choose healthy most of the time.

We took our 31 foot 5th wheel pulled behind a ford 350 dually. Once we got past Virginia the drivers were amazing. I was scared to death at the thought of having to drive that monstrosity through New York and the like, but folks were unbelievable. We would just put on our turn signal to go into the next lane, and it was like Moses and the red sea! That doesnt happen here.

Kobraboy, you want to know why we arent outside more???? ITS FREAKIN' HOT!!! LOL...we have a pool. We hardly used it this summer because it was too hot to be outside, even in the pool. I bike, but not until November. Then I only have scattered days available to me anyway. We are a state of elderly folks in giant RVs who have not been taught to drive them with no mandatory classes.

Restaurants are mostly chain restaurants. The owner places just cant compete and folks are creatures of habit here for the most part and dont want to try anything new...for the most part.

Beaches..now thats funny! I have lived here 51 years! As a kid we use to go all the time..now, you could not pay me. Between the millions of people there and the creatures and the types of activities that go on there...no thanks...so, yeah over rated...though there is a nice beach in Beverly Beach by the campground there. It is private and can have a great view, though a little rough to swim in.....its kinda pretty.

So, i anxiously await if we can get moved to NE this year, or next....husband promised me that we would within 4 years, retirement!!! We are going to do the work camper program until we find a happy place in NE...somewhere a little townish but close to Boston! NOW, THATS PARADISE...Yes, we have "lived" there, though only 2 to 3 months at a time. Yes, we have been there in the winter....17 below, snow up to here...you know what...STILL PARADISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

those of you that think this is the place...no place like it yada yada...good luck! Disney is like that...what a great place to visit...wouldnt want to live there!

Old 11-15-2007, 07:42 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,365,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debi1957 View Post
So, i anxiously await if we can get moved to NE this year, or next....husband promised me that we would within 4 years, retirement!!! We are going to do the work camper program until we find a happy place in NE...somewhere a little townish but close to Boston! NOW, THATS PARADISE...Yes, we have "lived" there, though only 2 to 3 months at a time. Yes, we have been there in the winter....17 below, snow up to here...you know what...STILL PARADISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

those of you that think this is the place...no place like it yada yada...good luck! Disney is like that...what a great place to visit...wouldnt want to live there!
Just like I say, to each his own...it's all a matter of personal preference, and how you view things...I LOVE visiting the north and LOVE living here, Debi can't wait to LIVE up north.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:58 AM

132 posts, read 471,347 times
Yeah, tampaguy...you are right...to each his own...big difference though...you still visit the north...I AINT EVER COMING BACK HERE!!! LOL...sorry! I really do wish everyone the best here. Take the things you read and consider them, because no matter how negative or positive, its just points of view, but try to fish the facts out of what you are reading and go from there! Good luck again!

Old 11-15-2007, 11:56 AM

23 posts, read 103,077 times
kobraboy,

OMG, finally someone who said it ALL, It is a beautiful state for raising children but a TERRIBLE place for entertainment, NYC had it all I still cant belive i gave it ALL up for THIS. But deep inside i do like it here i just WISH THERE WERE MORE THINGS TO DO AND SEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I GOTTA agreee 100% with ALL you said.

Old 11-15-2007, 10:15 PM

41 posts, read 148,977 times
whoever thinks tampa is expensive is just retarded come down to south florida and ill show ya expensive, my rents 2400 a month and its not that great

Old 11-16-2007, 05:49 AM

111 posts, read 598,139 times
"This place is like a huge suburb of 2 million lower middle class, blue collar people with hobos mixed in"
That is exactly right! There are very nice people here but the buttholes outweigh the nice ones.

Old 11-17-2007, 01:58 PM

165 posts, read 515,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debi1957 View Post
Well, just my 2 cents worth...I agree with the negative stuff posted here by needachange and kobraboy though I don't totally agree with how it was said, truth is truth.
Oh?

Who decideds the truth? There are things like facts. Like it is a fact to say there are higher temperatures all year round in FL. Most of the things in this thread are opinions disguised as truth.

Old 11-18-2007, 05:40 AM

10 posts, read 30,373 times
I was watching these discussions for some time now, as I want to run away from the winters and colds.
I couldn't resist and was very annoyed by reading this very disturbing post by CobraBoy.
He is defenitely got problems or issues. You can see it clearly.
When I look at the pictures of Tampa or StPete, I get the feeling about the place. When the sun is shining, warm and nice, how could anyone be so negative???
Any town and city has negative things. There are perfect places unless it's a small village. Get 1000 people, and among them will be at least 5-6 negatives.
That's how the society is built. You can't avoid it, you need to face it and accept it, as a healthy society. If it was too perfect, then it's self damaging and destructive. You need negatives, because the negatives keep the society alive.
Every city has negative areas.
Not a big deal. Don't like it, don't go there. For some people it looks bad, to others it looks normal. Depends how you perceive it.
I never been in Florida, I'm originally from Israel and live in Toronto. So, for me looking at the beautiful pictures of Tampa and StPete, I get the feel of these places...it's like being in Tel Aviv..the sea, the beach, traffic, sunshine..
I see positives in Tampa and StPete, because I want to be there. I like what I see. Brooklyn also have a lot of negative places, many more than Tampa..so what ???
Does it mean that when you go there or passing by, you'll get hurt or robbed??????!!!!...come on...
I too think, that the moderator should block extremely negative comments and comments with too much negatives. They do not reflect the Real reality.

Old 11-18-2007, 11:44 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,430,385 times
I am curious as to what state kobraboy came from to Florida?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay