Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2013, 06:21 PM

3 posts, read 5,153 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My fiancé got offered a good job in the Tampa area (I'm not quite sure where abouts). We were there earlier this year being all touristy so didn't think to really check out any sort of residential areas. We'd like to know what are the safest areas to move to around Tampa/Sarasota (and surrounding areas)with good schools too. We want to rent first to get a feel of things before laying down some roots. Our budget for rent would be around the $2,000-2,500 region. I'm not sure if this is a little or a lot?

Also, any tips coming from a relatively gun free and harmless country like the UK ? :-) Also any dos and don'ts plus areas to avoid would be great - thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 06:24 AM

153 posts, read 191,068 times
I think some more details would really help, the Tampa to Sarasota area is huge. The first key is knowing whereabouts the job would be located, if you're open to the entire area there's no point in suggesting Sarasota developments if the job is in northern Tampa unless you like to commute. Since you were here what areas did you like? How close do you want to be to the beach? What are you looking to rent for 2,000-2,500?

Old 09-10-2013, 08:10 PM

18 posts, read 27,088 times
Bloody hell $2,500 for rent? You gone mad m8, you can find really nice places for rent for only $1, 200 a month. Check out Zillow.com.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:32 AM

792 posts, read 2,284,464 times
for $2500/month you can live on the beach. Doesn't get much better than that.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:01 AM

443 posts, read 556,063 times
Yeah, your budget pretty much allows you to live anywhere in the region. Pick one of the nicer areas near the job and you're set. Gulf coast, south Tampa, NE St. Pete, wherever.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:09 AM

1,466 posts, read 3,066,355 times
Make sure you can both come here, immigration can be tricky, fiance's are diff to spouses and treated that way

Old 09-13-2013, 07:30 AM

605 posts, read 1,050,882 times
Hi from another Brit! I moved here from London in 1999. Everyone else is correct, you can find a really nice place to rent for your budget, so find out where your fiance will be working first.

Lavender is correct about immigration - are you planning on getting married before you move to the US? I married a US Citizen so while getting a visa wasn't an issue for me, it took months to go through the process, and I wasn't able to work here for about 6 months. I'm not sure how that would work in your situation though.

As for guns, yes the laws are very different here from the UK, but the biggest difference is in people's attitudes towards guns. That's what took some getting used to. People are very polarized in their opinions, so now I've reached the point where I try to avoid the subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay